2 comments

Suspense Romance LGBTQ+

Looking at the mirror, it was hard to tell who I was for I am born many times but not from thy womb, but from a person's sad and hopeless wish like fairies in the Tinkerbell movie. This time I am transferred to an Asian body. Would she love me with this vessel? Dark brown eyes, rich toffee shade of hair partnered with morena complexion. She certainly won't recognize me. While she? The last time I know she was brought back to life. But why? He burned her. And now, I need to find her.

I glanced at myself in the mirror one last time. My original body was already decayed and only bones were left. I can be permanent in a vessel once this curse is lifted off by reuniting with her. This curse I created in the 'death fort', an iron age ring fort in the middle of a cemetery in Waterford. With the earthen and stone banks served as protection it won't destroy even centuries passed by.

For many times, I would awake in different spots where the wish was strongly spoken, and start travelling all over again. Luckily, I won't need to travel far this time for I was awakened near my old town.

2001

“She’s so… I don’t know. Scary but beautiful? What do you think dude?” I shrugged still looking at a company manual guide.

Derek elbow me. “Dude.”

“Please don’t dude me.” Clenching my jaw.

“You’re jealous.” Derek laugh a little.

I look at him. “I am not.”

Today is our first actual day in a new department in a BPO company. In the midst of the storm, the first campaign I had were dissolved. Derek is a new hire. I’m the first person he befriended when he knew I have a lot of experience in an office and field job on my previous companies. They called me jack-of-all-trade, an introvert and I don’t like talking much. So Derek is kind of annoying me this time. But I need him. His personality cover me up.

“Why don’t you wear dress? For the whole week of training I only saw you wearing a pantsuit.” As Derek wiggled his eyebrows.

“For what? So you can stare at my legs.” Giving him a sharp look.

“Excuse me. Who are you to say that. I’m not a pervert. Besides, you’re not sexy…” He look at me from head-to-foot then foot-to-head.

“…you’re skinny.”

“Ouch. It hurts.“ then I rolled my eyes.

The campaign manager Mr. Vernacle asked for our attention.

“Listen here teammates! I gather you today to introduce you our client. We are fortunate that it’s not just a representative. But…” with a firm voice. “the President of ListenIn. Miss Evangeline Percival.”

A sudden loud thunder rolled and a gush of wind came in, blowing us up. Then a power outage. All of the employees panicked in the darkness.

‘EXAGGERATED’, I mumbled.

The manager asked utility men to use generator and securely close all the windows. Lights on. This time I stare at the woman wearing white blouse and red pencil cut with slit skirt, tight fit to her body. She look practical but elegant, powerful yet seductive.

She looked like her but not her personality. The woman I know looks sweet, classic and friendly with soft feature. Hers is strong.

I suddenly felt something in the air that feeling in my chest made me hope that had long dissipated come fluttering back to life. Could that mean I might actually find something this time? Warm air blew against my nape.

“Fudge Derek! What are you doing.” I control myself not to shout with tight fist.

“Hahah! Got you. You’re not as tough as your black attire and thick eyeliner. You’re scared like a kitty.” Still laughing, I told him am not wearing make-up but lip tint.

“What is the commotion over there?” we heard a velvet voice, Ms. Percival. Our eyes met. She stared for a little bit longer and whisper something to the campaign manager.

After introduction and discussed mission and vision. Mr. Vernacle asked for our attendance on the front table near the President. Because I don’t like jam in the queue, I signed last.

“Laoise Ryan. An Irish name.” I slowly lift up my head and made a big gulp as two dimmed eyes looking at me while her left hand leaning on the table.

“Hi Ms. Percival. Pleasure to… meet you.”

I immediately left to avoid her sharp looking eyes.

- - -

1850

Whoosh…

It’s raining and pitch black when a girl came in the huge house. It’s almost a mansion with two human like sculpture in front of the door. An old woman let her in. Soak in wet carrying a small sack, drips water as her old clothes inside it got wet, too. Two curious and helpless eyes got out of the dark looking at the girl from the second floor. 

“Who is she Marita?” cold and tired voice. Old lady look at the woman’s direction but the girl answered.

“I am Laoise, madam. I was sent by my stepmother. She said Mr. Walsh needs clerical assistance.”

“You don’t look like a clerk.”

The girl feel embarrassed, “I am not,” but she lit her face up and give energy to her voice, “but I know filing and organizing. I can work in library, too. You see madam, my father sent me in an all-girls school and taught me clerical works before he died. Unfortunately, I didn’t finish schooling.”

The woman smiled a little. “Your father is a good man. He sent you to school? Not any father would do that. Come here,” she turned to the old lady. “ Marita get her bag.”

She went upstairs and to her surprise the face of the woman is full of bruises.

“Don’t look at my face.”

Turning her eyes on the floor, “No I am not.”

- - -

KNOCK! KNOCK! 

“Daydreaming?” a grin on his face.

“I don’t like that face, Derek.”

“What’s with my face? Whatever… I’m going home dude.”

“I told you. Don’t call me dude”.

“It’s hard to read your name.” he shrugged.

“Laoise (lee-sha), that easy”

BANG! A sudden loud noise after I mentioned my name.

“What’s that?” I frowned and my chest thump faster.

“What?”

“It’s like a shotgun.”

“Man, your hallucinating. I don’t hear anything.” Derek’s left eyebrow turn up. “I’m going home. Whatever you heard… good luck.” And he left.

That sound. It couldn’t be.

- - -

“Eaybha?!” she gasped and covered her mouth.

“I didn’t mean to… he punched me… he… he. He tried to shoot me. I- I just defend myself.”

The body of the man lays flat dead on the floor. The body of her husband who knows nothing but beat her almost everyday. The body of a monster who prisoned this woman in this fortress of hell. This woman that no other want but to feel affection from this animal.

“Come away with me Eaybha. Please.” Still sobbing. She help the woman got up and ran away. Together. They didn’t look back.

- - -

I was snapped with my thoughts.

“I believe your shift is until 4 am.” Eyes narrowed.

“Ms. Percival. Y-yes, a-I’m a-answering emails.”

“Ah-huh. That’s not what I see…”

“Laoise… ma’am.”

“Laoise. As I can see you’re not even moving your hands.”

“I’m sorry Miss. It won’t happen again.”

“Here. Retrieve the errors and submit tomorrow.” She gave me the USB.

“I-its my rest day tomorrow. I-I can’t…”

She cut me, “I need that before 12a.” then she left.

4:15am. While walking home. I felt someone touched my shoulder but no one’s around. That touch, I remember that hand so soft but rough with scar in between point and thumb finger. I run until I reached my tiny house. Then a strong cold wind almost throw me. Glad I already reached the door. When I came in, a shadow run through the kitchen. My heart is pounding. I look for something and I found an umbrella. Cold wind blew when I’m near. I reach for the switch, but didn’t turn it on until I’m sure what I saw. When a little shadow moved I readied myself and…

PLAK! 

Meoow!

Fudge! It’s just a cat. I switch on the light and smile. I’m a dead scared by dead.

The next morning I was supposed to ask Derek to take over my task but I received his message earlier that he knew where Ms. Percival live. Not knowing my true purpose, he gave me the address.

When I’m near the address, I was shocked. It can’t be. It’s the same huge house where Eaybha was burned.

The night of arson.

- - -

“NOOOO!!!

NOOOO!!! 

GET OFF OF ME!”

Scream of anguish, scream of pain, scream of sorrow, scream of heart crushed into pieces while struggling to slip away from the hands of kind people trying to rescue a girl to avoid the madness of a man they thought was already dead. And now, burned the woman she taught how to be happy and in return shower her with love. The woman that made her complete even without touching her.

“Please, let me go-o-oow!” the girl continue sobbing, still looking at the direction where she left the woman burning and now covered in fire.

- - -

I stand for few minutes outside before I came near. I knocked at the door many times but no sign of living. I twist the knob and it opened. It’s not lock. I came in and to my surprise someone strangle me from my back. Choking, I tried to fight, but these hand is strong.

“Are you a stalker?”

I tried to say no with tongue out. I nearly passed out. The owner of the hand release me when I showed the USB.

I move my eyes around while gaining composure. “This house,” coughing and eyes blinking. “It’s haunted.”

The woman laughed, “it’s my house. How can you say it’s haunted.”

“Eaybha.” I whispered and look seriously with eyes glistened.

It’s been century , but it’s like yesterday. I can still remember the soft touch and caress of affection the woman I adore.

“So, it’s really you. What happened? I saw, you were burned… alive.”

She smirk. “You summoned me, remember. You won’t be alive if it’s not you.” I can feel the bitterness in her words.

“I didn’t. I was shocked when the elders told me…”

“LIAR! You’re the one who wants her alive!” a familiar voice of a man came in.

“Mr. Walsh??? You’re together?” my jaw dropped and I look at them both.“ Then maybe it’s you, it’s your doing.”

“Why would I want her alive if I kill her in the first place. But I like how she turns out. FEISTY”

I look at him in disbelief then I turn my eyes to my beloved. I saw century and decades of suffering.

“Eaybha, I never want this. But the elders told me to bring your body back because it affects the balance of life. Believe me Eaybha. All I want for you is happiness and peace.”

“What about my life?!” Eaybha was blinded.

“What did he do to you? Don’t let yourself forever be burned. Don’t let your soul eaten by anguish, it’s not worth.” Pleading, my eyes swam with tears.

“You left.” She mumble and pursed her lips to prevent tears from falling.

“ENOUGH! Don’t let yourself be fooled again by this rotten soul.” He gnashed his teeth.

“I’m not the one with the rotten soul! It’s you! You envy your own wife by her wealth, because she’s… RICHER! Covering your jealousy by beating and showing your powerful than her. Aeow… I should have told her that long time ago.”

“RUBBISH! You have no evidence!” he gritted.

I answered him calmly, “I am your apprentice, remember.”

Eaybha’s mouth fell open and turn to the man who made her miserable, “You… you planned all of this.”

The two fight, but the man was stronger and beat the woman until she passed out. During their fight a bottle of rum spilled on the floor, once again Mr. Walsh grin and see this opportunity to burn the woman. He started a fire that once was burned Eaybha. But not this time. I won’t let it happen again. I get another rum and I spill it to the man’s direction so the fire trail it’s way to him. The man scream to death as the fire is all over his clothes. Then I throw the remaining bottles of rum everywhere. I carry Eaybha outside and use her car to drive in the woods of Waterford that is now a cemetery.

At the center I lay her down inside the circle, near the tree. And let the leaves cover us. The woman awake with half opened eyes,

“Hello my beloved.” And I lay beside her.

2020

I gasped and breathe heavily.

“Baby?” I hug the woman beside me and she rub my back. I sniffed on her neck, my way of saying I’m glad she’s here.

“Eva.” I look at her in fear.

“It’s just a bad dream.”

October 22, 2020 00:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Threese Belivett
05:47 Nov 02, 2020

...and to all the person who followed me, you make me so happy. Thanks much. It overwhelms me with joy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Threese Belivett
10:22 Oct 30, 2020

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for the Reedsy peeps that liked my short story. I much appreciated it. You inspire me to continue making short stories. Muah, muah, tsup, tsup 😘

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.