ᗯᕼᗩTՏ ᑎᗴᗯ?

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten seconds.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Friendship

I just want to say that this story was so much fun. I hope you enjoy...

************


The date was December 31, 2020. There were only 10 seconds left. My friends and I had New Year's all planned out. 


We were saying goodbye to all things negative. 2020, being on the forefront. Murder Bees be damned, we were not going to let anything bring us down.


We shared our resolutions just as the last hour hit. Letting each other know that our friendships, which had already lasted the test of time, was the one thing we carry over to the new year.



When the ball dropped at midnight, we were to yell Jumanji. Now, remember, this is the time of covid, so we didn't dare go somewhere crowded. 


We had made a pact that we would be on video chat with each other to ring in the new year. We had music playing loud. We had already decided beforehand what kind of music we would play. The first song being, "it's the final countdown" by Europe!


We had also decided that after midnight, we would celebrate with each other for a while over video and meet up the next day at Quinn's house for even more celebrating 


As it reached closer to the countdown. We were to be on video with each other and were definitely going to yell "JUMANJI!" when the countdown hit zero. 


So here we were, toasting each other a happy 2021 over video when the countdown started. 


"10!" We all yelled. I took a drink of my drink, my friend Vee was getting her new 2021 celebration lights ready and Quinn was breaking open a new bottle of vodka. 


"9!" We all yelled. I was wishing I had someone to ring in the new year with. My son was in bed and so it was just me. Vee smiled at us and asked, "are y'all ready?" We replied "yes!" Quinn was pouring himself a drink.


"8!" We all laughed. "It's getting closer!" I yelled. The excitement of saying goodbye to 2020 was evident in the grins we had on our faces. Quinn took a drink of mountain dew, wanting to save the vodka for after the count of 1. Vee was just so excited she shook her hands in front of her with pure enthusiasm.


"7!" Quinn toasted everyone again, deciding he could pour another drink before the last count. I picked up my phone since the last number yelled made it vibrate right off the edge of the table. Vee pointed her camera on her phone outside so we could see the fireworks. "Someone got ahead of themselves!" She yelled as she laughed.


"6!" We yelled, all in unison. Vee said, "I wish y'all were here! Paul is already in bed!" 


"Wow!" Quinn chuckled.


"Why?" I asked


"5!" We yelled. I saw whoever was hosting the countdown in New York say something, but I didn't hear it. 

The ball had already dropped, they just had it on tv for us in the central time zone. "It's getting closer!" Vee yelled! 


"Yep! And I can't wait for the new year. It's gotta be better than in 2020!" Quinn yelled.


"4!" We yelled. The tension was building. We so wanted to let go of the negativity that 2020 was shrouded in. 


"This is going to be so epic!" I yelled.


"Yes, it is!" Vee yelled back.


"Are you recording this?" Quinn asked.


"You know it!" I yelled with a nod. 


"3!" We all yelled. Now resolve was setting in, knowing that this entire crappy year was at an end. Nothing could bring us out of our sense of freedom and sheer excitement about 2020 landing by the wayside. I mean it was trash. 

 "To a new beginning!" The already tipsy Quinn toasted. We all took a drink. The excitement building inside all of us, like we were awaiting Santa Claus as a child the first time we grasped who he was. I mean the excitement was monumental. Of total monolithic proportions. 


"2!" Thursday night was closing and Friday morning was emerging. Time seemed to stand still at this moment. I mean we had 2 more seconds left in the year. Nothing was going to stop us now. Quinn held up his drink and bowed his head. "I end this year with an understanding that things could be worse and I accept what will be with this great new balance that will be bestowed upon us!" He yelled.


"1!" We yelled. 


"Wow. Quinn is drunk!" Vee yelled laughing. 


"This is going to be fantastic followed by a lot of awesome!" I yelled. 


The moment of truth was upon us. We heard the drumroll from the TVs. Time stood still. Everyone held their breath. It was like no other feeling we ever experienced. My mind was racing and I had no doubt this was the end of one and a great new beginning is another. I could feel my heartbeat inside my head. It was like electricity flying through the air. And finally, time is whipped back on track.


"Jumanji!" We all shouted. 


I heard fireworks and gunshots throughout the neighborhood. Vee was jumping for joy. Quinn tipped up the vodka and chugged. 


But then. 


It was like we heard the scratching of a record by a D.J. 


An ominous voice was heard by everyone. 


Something was wrong. No one said a word. You could hear a pin drop from where we were in Oklahoma, all the way to southern Louisiana. The air felt malevolent. The skies seemed to become darker. The moon and stars disappeared. It was like a black cloud was upon us in an instant. And down went the feeling for celebrating. This was not happening. No way. It was like Phil Collins was singing in the air tonight, but it sounded evil.


We all suddenly heard an ominous voice. "Who will choose? The birth of something new has to have a name."


All I can think is I hope he doesn't say it is now December 32nd. Nope. He didn't. Yeah, it was way worse. 


The excitement drained from our faces as we heard. "Welcome to 2020_ phase 2." 


"Nooooo!" We heard from all around us. People were aimlessly wandering the streets talking to themselves as if their sanity had cracked.  


"I'm locking my doors y'all," I said. 


"Yeah, me too." Vee and Quinn said in unison. 


"Not to sound like an asshole, but I will see y'all next year. I gotta figure out how I'm going to eat when I am not leaving my house." I said and then heard, "yeah me too." From both of them. 


It was not a good day.


January 01, 2021 00:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.