0 comments

General

The brilliantly coloured lorikeets chittered noisily as they swooped throughout the watercolour streaked sky. Inhaling deeply she allowed herself to pause for a moment and take in the view. After almost 6 hours of driving in near torrential rain she had finally made it just as the skies cleared to display one of the most amazing sunsets she could remember. Vivacious reds and brilliant oranges, neon yellows and pastel pinks all swirled together in a perfect painting as the day slowly ebbed away and the faintest glimmerings of the first stars bravely followed Venus’s bright lead.

Slightly distorted recollections drifted through her mind as 10 year old memories attempted to connect themselves to their surroundings. The rhythmic pounding of the waves steady dance against the nearby glittering shoreline provided the perfect background noise as she slowly wandered down the main street of the sleepy coastal town. Despite the early hour the tourist season was well and truly in full force with the limited yet flexible local food joints catering to everyone’s tastes...eg. club food and a milkbar, classic beach side dining.

The comforting smell of deep fried oil and chicken salt mingled with the cool, slightly damp breeze that was whipping up from the beach nearby as the evening quickly approached. She turned towards the ocean, thoroughly enjoying the refreshing sensation after a long day of travel. While she had to admit she had been doubting her decision to uptake in the journey earlier that day while she had been stuck on the main highways behind minivans driving at 20 under the limit and sandwiched between oversized trucks in flood like conditions...it was worth it. 

The breathtakingingly vivid sunset refracting against the pounding surf. The chitters and caws of the lorikeets and seagulls as they gathered their dinner. The gentle murmurings of people as they settled down for pre dinner drinks as well as the sound of distant laughter as children finished their final swims for the day. The sight of this had a faint memory resurfacing in her mind. Once upon a time she had been one of those children, begging her parents for just ‘ a few more minutes’ as she frolicked in the surf and flicked sand at her siblings as the day came to a close. 

Her stomach growled at that moment, reminding her that for afternoon tea all those hours ago she had only had the $3 coffee and brownie from 711, cheap petrol for the win. Heading in the direction of her grandparent’s nearby apartment, she passed the string of outlets that hadn’t changed much in the 10 years since she had been here. There was the bakery where she would have hot chocolate and pastries with her mum for brunch and feel all grown up as she watched the world go by. The distinct smell of freshly baked bread and warm chocolate was strong enough to still remind her of this place whenever she walked past a bakery...even 6 hours away in Sydney.

Next to the bakery the local grocer still stood proudly despite it’s tired looking appearance, just like the local elderly fishermen. Old and tired, yet stable and proud...hard working. It’s ability to ward off the big chain supermarket chains a testament to the family that had owned and operated it for decades. As she headed up the apartment block stairs the familiar tinkling sound of windchimes instantly had her mouthwatering as a flood of happy memories came back to her. 

Heading back down the stairs and towards the shop outlets under the apartment blocks she couldn’t help the beam that erupted across her face...it was still there! The lolly and icecream shop run by the sweet old lady that had always sneaked her brother and her extra lollies and icecream portions as ‘we were just such good kids’ was still there. While the paint job was a little more modern and the refurb was a little trendier the vibe of the shop was still there. 

The window was still filled with a collage of happy customers with sugary treats. As she slowly entered the overly sweet smelling shop the familiar shell windchimes that hung from the ceiling chimed sweetly, the exact same sound she remembered from her childhood. The interior of the shop was similar to her hazy recollections. The pale blue and yellow colour scheme meant the atmosphere had a constant summer vibe. Despite the fact that it was now dark outside, the soft yet warm lighting of the shop meant that the sugary treats of the shop were all on display. 

About a hundred icecream flavours were presented neatly in the display fridge in the middle of the shiny floor that was painted to look like the shell strewn, golden sand of the local beaches. The walls were filled with various confectionary cabinets and a pastry fridge, the space around them adorned with local photographers and artists work.

As her inner child stared around in amazement a pleasant and oddly familiar voice had her turning towards the front counter. Behind the countertop adorned with twinkling fairy lights a young woman, roughly her own age stood there with a welcoming smile spread across her tanned features. Warm brown eyes, almost the same colour as her neatly plaited hair sparkled in recognition as she opened her mouth and quickly closed it.

“ Hi.”

Was all that came out of the other woman’s mouth as Sarah looked at the stranger with an odd sense of familiarity. Where was the old lady? Had she retired? Was she ok?

“ Where’s Debby?”

Sarah questioned. Surprising herself at her sudden recollection of the old lady’s name who had run the shop all those years ago. How could she remember the name of the old lady who had run the lolly shop at a childhood holiday destination yet she could barely remember her own birthday most years?

“ Aah, my grandmother has retired...don’t worry she’s perfectly happy and healthy. My mum and I have taken over it that’s all....Look this is going to sound really weird, but I remember you. I’m pretty sure we used to play together as kids. Do you remember an Anita?”



The faintest stirrings of a positive yet dust covered memory stirred within her as she studied the young woman in front of her. While her facial features had angled out a little and her eyes had lost a little of that childhood sparkle it was still the same girl she remembered from her childhood. The grandchild of the owner of what she remembered as the world’s best shop. Whenever she came up for the holidays Anita and her spent the whole vacation in the perfect childhood atmosphere that only the small and sleepy yet quaint  coastal town could provide. 

The sighting of her again, the memories it stirred within her...it was a bittersweet sensation. The lyrics of ‘Bittersweet symphony’ by the Verve that had been stuck in her head for half her trip finally had a new level of meaning. Realising she had been staring, she gave a nervous chuckle and stuck her hands into her jean pockets as her social anxiety bounded back in full force.

Her old friend seemed to find this amusing as to her surprise this woman who she hadn’t seen or spoken to since they were in primary school threw her arms around her in a firm hug.

“ Welcome home Sarah.”

July 24, 2020 10:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.