2 comments

Fantasy Happy People of Color

It isn't often the stars shine so bright. Through human development, we've moved from open and wanton expressions to building high colorless walls. The excitement and mystery of the universe gets harder to see as our own dull buzzing lights pollute the night sky, so we've stopped searching, no longer connecting with the old and natural.

Atiya stood, her curly blue hair tumbled about her shoulders packing her supplies as she moved around her room. Sometimes she would take long walks away from all the noise and all the amplified sounds to bask in the earthy richness of the outdoors. Stepping through the door and out into her village, -for it was classified as so by the rezoning authorities for being so close to the forest and less developed than most areas- she took a deep breath, she had been feeling restless and despondent for a while, she needed to go out. These episodes followed her throughout her life, as a child she was more prone to bouts of anger and sadness, her wails could be heard at nights, and products of her anger could be seen in her room. As she grew older, under the guidance of a local druid woman she turned her episodes into art. Creating beautiful pieces for any and everyone, her art seemed lifelike. Their emotions potent.

"You've been touched by The Ones, my dear." the old woman often told her when she finished a piece. Atiya ignored her and just smiled whenever she said it. The Ones were the old ones of stories from a time before electricity and technology. They were said to have loved mankind and nurtured mankind until man wanted more. Ties were cut and they disappeared.

The old woman had been telling her such stories since she was a babe. She described mythical creatures made of light, creatures who breathed fire or ice, giant trees that hugs and take your fears away. Atiya grinned, enjoying the stories as a child they would chase her anger and sadness away, she would be taken on strolls into the nearby forest, absorbing information told to her. While younger her strolls she was accompanied by her druid friend, as she grew older her friend moved less and less so she went alone. Atiya now strolls when she feels an episode or rage or sadness bubbling beneath her skin.

This was one of those moments, bags packed, camera in hand, & destination in mind even though much later than she has ever ventured Atiya set out.

Along the way, father from her village, further into the dark dense forest, the last of man buzzing lights faded behind her. The further she goes with each practiced steps she is surrounded by deafening silence. For the first time, since walking this trail as a child she felt fear. Turning around unable to tell which steps takes her back to her family Atiya felt her chest tightened in panic, her breaths came out in short bursts and her skin began to tingle as silent tears began streaming down her face.

Seconds, minutes or perhaps hours may have passed while she laid curled up on the forest floor her cries quieted to sobs, her skin still tingled but her eyes now dry. Rubbing her puffy eyes she looked around, hoping to see a light.

"Please, I just want to go home." she whispered into the night, her heart full of longing.

It was then she saw it. A large flicker of light a few meters away from her. Hope blossomed in her heart as she gathered her bags and with sure steps made her way to the light.

As the light grew larger and larger, she stepped between thick trees into the a wide vividly lit area.

Skin stop tingling, her heart stopped racing her fears washed away as in this wide open area, that seemed to be separate from the forest, grass as green as ever and beautifully colored toadstool mushrooms as tall as her, moved in sway to a soft song that seemed to be echoing around her. Her eyes widen, her mouth hang in awe as she saw interesting mystifying familiar creatures.

Creatures from the story her druid friend told her. Creatures from her dreams as a child! Atiya took surer steps into the open now able to identify what she was looking at.

A long haired sky nymph floated near enough around her, it's long white translucent twinkling hairs and indigo skin filled her with childlike wonder as she looked at it look at it as it flew to join others flying around in the sky. A few more steps and she could see a neon red grasshopper chirping happily, jumping around with friends, sensing their delight as the joined other critters, chirping happily and fervor.

The need to draw, paint and capture what she saw was palpable. Pulling her nearly forgotten camera from her bag, Atiya crouched observing them through her lens, she squealed in delight to see them wave back at her. A smile on her face she take a few more steps into the thick green bush that brushes against her skin with ease and familiarity. Most people of the village tend avoid the unknown but not her. She was brave. As a child her old druid friend nurtured her curiosity, it has lead her to discover the good in the bad and the bad in the good, so while others fear the unknown, she know the "monsters" that lurked within.

Finally In the middle of it all, her heart felt light and she felt at ease with her surrounding, her mind was clearer and for the first time in a long while Atiya laughed. A joyous sound, spurred on more by the tinkles and chirping. Setting her bag down, pulling out her blanket, sandwiches, and grape wine from her bag she sat down and lie back, camera tucked away, this moment was for her and her alone. A sense of calm washes over and her smile becomes brighter, as there was a bubbling sound coming not too far from her right. It was followed by a loud explosion, like the surface of water breaking her heart leapt, not with fear but with delight as colors of reds and blues shooting above her head falling around her is followed by a loud splash and laughter.

They looked the same since she had imaged them to look. Their face shimmering, their tails wriggling around. They seemed to find delight in her curiosity.

"I told you, that you were touched by us." the voice of her druid friend came from her left. Atiya spun around face to face with the young woman who had taken her to the orphanage from the cold and harshness of the street and stayed by her throughout her life.

"Gatty! What do you mean us?! You're younger!" Atiya asked and shouted, running to her friend. Atiya gathered her into her arms, breathing in her natural smell, finding comfort in her warmth.

"Of course I am young one. I am one of The Old Ones." Atiya looked on shocked.

The stories were real.

"I am sorry you suffered so. Usually the ones were blessed are touched with hypersensitivity and pure empathy. It why I directed you to producing art. An outlet for the emotions you feel and absorb from others needed to come out." Atiya felt Gatty's hands in her hair, her shoulders shaking with relief.

All the years of her anger and pain hadn't been because of her. The confusion in her mind, how her moods left her unbalanced was because she was touched by the Old Ones.

Atiya sobbed harder.

"I'm not broken?" she sobbed questioning her only friend who pulled her closer.

"Of course not cariad." Atiya was pushed away, and her hair pushed back from her face.

"Never you beautiful girl. If anything the world is too broken for you. You are a Spectrum, you feel what the world feel the emotional elements of the world. and reflect it. You don't belong here cariad, this world isn't meant for you." Atiya watched as her friend gestured to other behind her. Figures who seemed to hold the galaxy on their skin shimmered and solidified before her, taking various human forms. The tallest of them stepped forward, in greeting.

"Hello, Atiya. My name is Thyiwl" Atiya looked at her friend in confusion.

"Why wasn't I taken before?" Years of pain could have been avoided.

"We needed you to have lived your human life first, so you can now make a choice in accepting our invitation to joining us."

"A choice?" Atiya asked

"Yes, a choice. You can stay here or live with the elementals, and rest of the Spectrums in the land of the Old Ones."

"What does living with them mean?"

"You may come and go as you which, you can still visit the mortal realm, whenever you wish. We will teach you how to harness your empathy, for it is a gift." the shortest of the Spectrum's replied, her eyes shone unnaturally. Atiya could feel no hostility but rather openness and warmth.

"Will it hurt Gatty?" Atiya asked. Pain was something she was tired of, and wanted no more of.

"In as much as learning hurts my dear." Atiya closed her eyes and smiled at her friend.

There was nothing back at the orphanage for her. Most of her days were spent in Gatty's old cabin, helping others, painting and spending time with the other children in the streets. Her family while she loved them, she knew her episodes left them scared, hurt or defeated in their inability to help or understand her. Maybe this is what she needed all along.

"Your family will be fine, you can visit them whenever you miss them." Gatty said as reading her mind.

"Can I take my art supplies and the camera?" Atiya asked looking down at her bag and belongings.

"Of course, but pictures of anything taken or drawn there has to be left being there. Man has turned away from us cariad their mind would never understand what you draw or the pictures you take. They will never understand our voices when we talk or when we walk in our original form amongst them. A few hear whispers but they are driven to madness before we can guide them."

Atiya pick up her bag stuffing her camera, brushes and bottles and cups into her rightful containers, bags on her shoulder and a cup of half finished wine in her other hand.

Thyiwl Leader of the Spectrums stretched his hand out for her to hold.

"Come my dear. Let's get you settled."

Atiya stepped forward with a nod before stopping and turning to Gatty.

"Will I see you again? Will you be okay, Gatty?" Atiya asked. Her brows furrowed at the thought of leaving her friend.

"Oh my cariad! I will be fine!" Gatty exclaimed then kissed her forehead. Warmth spread throughout her body, Atiya could her the other Spectrums gasps.

"A gift! You will always be able to find me, I have taken you as my own and marked you as my child, Atiya. Learn well! I will visit you soon."

Atiya watched as Gatty dissolved into a sparkling of lights that tickled her face.

"What does she mean?" Atiya asked Thyiwl, taking his hand.

"Exactly what she said, you are now her daughter. The first to be given the gift and honor of being Gaia's first child."

"Gaia?!" Atiya shouted and frowned at Gatty's laughter that followed her with ever step. Atiya stepped closer into their arms reaching out to her as she reaches out to them, pulling her into the sky.

With the last gulp of her wine swallowed she joined them. This is the moment she dreamt about as a child, being closer to the mythical creatures of The Old One. Of Gaia.

After all, she guided you well.


November 19, 2022 00:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Rabab Zaidi
13:46 Nov 26, 2022

Interesting. The grammar needs more attention.

Reply

Joduyt .
20:17 Nov 26, 2022

Thank you...it is my biggest struggle.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.