3 comments

Fiction Historical Fiction Fantasy

I just walked through the entrance. The door closed itself, but very tightly. I don’t think there is an exit anymore. Still, I have to move on. I have to keep walking. This is the place, I’m sure.

I kept on walking, and walking, and I quickly came to realize: this building is changing. The corridor I was walking two minutes ago, isn’t a corridor anymore. It’s constantly shifting, and it feels like a labyrinth. Maybe I should’ve stayed outside, but I have to find the answer. This building is very tall, has 300 floors, and each floor is a maze of its own. That’s my problem right now. Exactly when I feel like I’m on the right path, the building does its magic, and shifts. It feels like a whole different area. The elevators don’t work at the moment, so I have to make my way through these 300 floors of mazes. Not even the rooms are occupied. There is literally no one here, but the electricity still works. Fascinating place. It is so…bland, yet mesmerizing. The whole building is pretty much based on Brutalist architecture. It’s nice to look at, and at the same time irritating. That helps with the mazes, and the confusion, that’s for sure. I feel like I’m going crazy with each step. Hearing no one except yourself, your footsteps, your breathing. Now that’s creepy. This place is so “soulless”. It feels like no effort was given into making this building, but the structure is so abstract.

I was slowly making my way to the 10th floor, when the only pathway left to there, was blocked at the last second. A set of concrete stairs were revealed, and not having a different way to go, I took the stairs. Music started playing. Slow, but rapidly changing. Melancholic in a way. Perfectly describing this place. The building might seem soulless, but the place feels...”haunted”. As if it’s filled with the souls of the previous workers. I mean, I would’ve been dead already as well, if I had to work here, for even over one week.

The stairs were reaching their end. At the end…

…a dead end.

What did I expect? Although it wasn’t “only” a dead end. There was something. A mirror, as if they want me to go crazier than I already am. I could also see a light switch cord. There was no light bulb to be seen, the place is already lit up, but there was a cord. Text was printed underneath the handle: “The rule of 3 applies”. What did that mean?

Whatever, couldn’t be anything for me. I didn’t have anything else to do, or any other area to go to, so I pulled the cord. The lights were gone. It was pitch black. I could see literally nothing, and the angst kept on increasing with that. I instinctively pulled again. The place lit up again, but nothing else happened. One last pull did the magic. I was somewhere else. Looking around, it seemed like a Motel. Why was I here? “The rule of 3 applies”. I had pulled three times, was that a sign? I wanted to keep on going, so I did. But something stopped me, this “blockade” in the middle of the Motel’s corridor. Light was escaping through the small holes, but the path was blocked. I couldn’t go further. I was so close to finding him.

In exactly 3 years, she would come. A long time, but the Director said that I should take care of this as soon as possible. I have to quickly prepare. I’ve been working here for over 10 years, and for a worker like me, this place is no labyrinth anymore. Everything feels so natural. Those abstract, shape shifting, melancholic corridors are gone. Even if they were there, I wouldn’t sense it, I have too much to worry about it. But enough of that. I should get going to the Motel. Breezing my way through the 10th floor, stopping before the stairs come out, taking them, and ending up in the room with the light switch cord. After pulling it three times, I ended up in the Motel. I actually missed this place, it has been a long while. The Director doesn’t allow us to go here a lot, except for “special occasions”. And I think that this is one. “She” should not enter this building, and if she does, we have to block her from accessing any further floors. I made my way to the end of the hall, and I used the Object that the Director gave me. I pressed the button on it three times to activate it. This Object is there to create a blockade for any uninvited guests. Even the shifting place won’t help with this. Even if, the Motel is safe, safe from shifting. This place is actually a real Motel. Nothing weird about it, but the fact that it’s empty, and you can’t find it anywhere in the real world. A GPS wouldn’t help you at all. It’s completely in a different dimension. You can only find it through the cord, and I’m guessing that our guest will use it, keeping in mind, that the building allows anyone access to the cord room, with the help of the stairs. Even the Director can’t control that.

Well, I should get going now. The further area of this hall is now blocked to her. There would be no way for her to get inside. For the better good, of course. I wanted to go back to my office, but I couldn’t. The blockade was also prohibiting access to me. This couldn’t be possible, why is this happening? There is no reception here, so I can’t call the Director. Was I stuck now?

I heard a faint voice in the distant. I came to realize that it was actually behind the black wall I placed. Taking a glimpse through the small holes, I saw someone. How…is this possible?

It was her.

I found him.

March 18, 2021 21:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Ellie Kidd
22:35 Mar 24, 2021

This is super interesting I would love to know more. It did get a little confusing when you switched perspectives. And what exactly is going on. But it was exspertly described.

Reply

Adra Verse
12:35 Mar 25, 2021

Thanks a lot! Yeah, it's a confusing concept, but I tried my best with the changed fonts to indicate a new character.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Adra Verse
12:37 Mar 25, 2021

Okay, my bad. I just realized that in Reedsy, the fonts are a bit changed, but you only realize if you look closely. One should've been bold, and one not...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.