9 comments

Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

I focused on Xenyph, my rock, jaguar beast. Run! Don’t look back! 

Since Xenyph and I were bonded, we were able to talk to each other through our thoughts

Fraya, no! I can’t leave you! You don’t have a weapon. Xenyph’s emotion blew through me—anger, sadness, fear.

Go. I command you to. I ran my fingers over his rock body, and watched him sprint away. I redid my bun, twisting my auburn hair up.

I’m on my own now. I have to stay alive, and keep the others from knowing I’m a girl. This was the big test of the Beast Games School. The remaining three would move on to become professional beast gamers.

What am I going to do without a weapon? I caught myself drifting into my thoughts, and twisted around a boy who swiped his sword at me. His sheeny sword swung for my chest. I ducked. The boy jerked my arm up, and spun the sword in his hand. 

I have to win. I can’t lose now. 

I kicked the boy’s stomach, and he sunk to the ground, clutching his stomach. I scooped up the sword. 

Do it. Just do it. My sweaty palms gripped the sword, but I couldn’t move. 

The boy stared up at me, his eyes full of fear.

 I sighed. I can’t do it. I tightened my bun. If they find out I’m a girl, they’ll kill me. I’d better not take a chance.

A blaring roar blasted from behind me. My heart sprung to my throat. My arm stung and pinched as a set of sharp teeth sunk into it. I yelled in pain. My mind raced. Xenyph! Help me! It hurts! It really hurts! 

With a blink of an eye, Xenyph came bolting to save me. One of the pros of having a jaguar beast—they’re fast. Xenyph pounced onto the beast. 

I gasped as the teeth released my arm. Tears ran down my eyes at the jabbing strikes of pain. The boy took his sword, and shoved me against a stone wall. He held the sword at my neck. 

“Make one move, and you die.”

I held my breath, trying not to swallow. Xenyph. My heart pounded in my ears. Xenyph, don’t stop for me. A scar ran across the boy’s right cheek, and he noticed what I was staring at. 

“Yes,” he hissed. “I’ve been in this test many times. Though my trainers don’t think I’m ready for the professional games.” His hazel eyes narrowed. “I’ll make it this time. And you won’t be one of the others.”

I took the risk of speaking. “And if the trainers don’t think you’re ready? You’ll have killed me for nothing?”

He smirked. “You’re trying to convince me to spare you. Ha ha! Good—”

Xenyph struck the boy’s back with his razor-sharp claws. 

Good job, Xenyph. I’m glad you’re not a killer. 

So am I. I’ll leave the killing for the others.

A giant scorpion beast lunged its tail for Xenyph, but he dodged it. I grabbed the boy’s sword that lay on the ground, and swung it for the scorpion’s tail. Instead of hitting its tail, I sliced its leg. The scorpion screamed, spraying venom at me.

Xenyph pounced on top of me, shading me from the venom. 

Xenyph! Did it hurt you?

The venom? Nah, I’m a rock jaguar, so it can’t enter my skin.

A scream echoed through the arena, and I saw a lady fall from the booths into the arena. I bolted around the rock walls, and splashed through creeks. How in the world did she fall over the chain gaiting? She would’ve had to climb through.

I spotted the lady. She lay on the ground, unconscious. 

Horns echoed. That usually meant the game ended, but this time, it was for the lady. Three medical people rushed out from a gate door. 

Out of nowhere, the scorpion charged for me. My stomach twisted. I glanced back at the medical workers whose eyes grew at the sight of the scorpion. 

I faced the scorpion. “Over here!” I ran for the caves. Maybe if I can lose the scorpion in the caves, I can escape without him following me. I sprinted into a dark cave, my eyes adjusting. I heard the scorpion hiss from behind me, and I pushed my legs harder. I hope I don’t run into anything. I’m practically running blind.

The ground shook from the scorpion’s legs that smashed into the sandy ground. I breathed hard. My leg jabbed into a spike, and split up my leg. I winced every time I moved. 

Finally, I tumbled to the ground, trying to get back up. I curled into a ball, holding my breath as the scorpion ran right over me. His razor-sharp legs sent sand flying into my face as he ran.

A wave of emotion blew over me. Xenyph’s emotions. Tears filled my eyes, and escaped down my cheeks. Xenyph? What’s happening?

Goodbye, Fraya. Thanks for everything.

My heart ached at every thought from Xenyph. 

No! Xenyph! Where are you? I’ll save you! We’ll withdraw from the game, we’ll—

Goodbye…Fray.

I choked over my tears, trying to swallow the lump in my throat. My heart sunk to the pit of my stomach. Xenyph. I need you.

But there was no reply. 

There was no Xenyph anymore. 

Xenyph was dead. 

My friend Ziella ran up to me, tears pouring from her eyes. She too was hiding her female identity. But for a different reason which I didn’t know.

* * *

I stood before the sobbing Fraya, staring at the ground. I promised him I’d kill Fraya. I can’t let my brother down. I stared down at my bloody hands. I killed Xenyph, so why is it hard to kill Fraya? I remembered what my brother had said. Don’t let your relationships get in the way of what you must do. I flipped my hazel-brown hair out of the way and took a deep breath. I reminded myself why I had made the deal. Papa needs the money. He’s too sick to go out and work.

“Wh—what?” Fraya asked between sobs.

I stared into Fraya’s nut-brown eyes. My eyes watered. 

“Are—are you—okay?”

How can I do this to my best friend? I took a shaky breath, revealing a dagger from my boot. “I’m sorry.”

November 13, 2020 00:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Katherine Hudson
20:19 Nov 13, 2020

This story is absolutely FANTASTIC, Anna!! I am so impressed with your ability to come up with such intriguing stories and characters! Quick question, though ~ Why'd you have to make Xenyph diiiiiiieeeeeee?!?! 😭

Reply

Addison Smith
17:44 Dec 14, 2020

ikr! I loved Xenyph from the moment I read about him. That's exactly what you want your readers to feel about those type characters, though. You want your readers to become attached so they'll feel what your characters feel, so amazing job with that, Anna!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna Kosten
23:21 Nov 13, 2020

Thanks, Sarah! I know...I’m a murderer😢😆

Reply

Katherine Hudson
13:44 Nov 14, 2020

Yeah . . . I'm a little worried. (Jk, I always kill characters in my stories.😜😄)

Reply

Anna Kosten
17:41 Nov 14, 2020

LOL😆

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Addison Smith
15:26 Nov 13, 2020

Wow. Love it! Great job, Anna. I feel so involved in the story!

Reply

Anna Kosten
17:18 Nov 13, 2020

Thanks, Addie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anna Kosten
17:19 Nov 13, 2020

❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Anna Kosten
02:11 Nov 13, 2020

Feel free to share feedback, tips, and parts that you enjoyed!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.