10 comments

Sad Suspense Crime

The hospital was crowded with press and media when I reached. Important officials and politicians were scattered all around and the hospital staff were trying to clear out the paparazzi. I somehow made my way through the crowd with the help of my guard. Dad was still in his room on the 3rd floor. I went up to him and stood still for a moment. "D-Dad?" I finally spoke. But unfortunately, the greatest thing I feared for, had taken place. He stared at me blankly until the nurse told him "Sir, she is your younger daughter". I felt the ground slide from beneath my feet or the sky fall on me. My father, my very own father, has forgotten me! When he was taken downstairs in a wheelchair, I spoke with the doctor.


"Does he remember himself?" I asked

"Yes he does. But he doesn't remember being the mayor or what he did as a mayor. He doesn't even remember his parents and family. He only remembers general facts and that he's name is Andrew Grey. I feel bad for him..."

"What disease is this? Can it be cured?" I asked with high hopes.

"Very difficult to be completely cured. But he can make new memories. This is Retrograde Amnesia. The accident injured his brain badly and that's why it happened."

"I see..Thanks for the help." I said as I walked away sadly.

~~~~


Dad was subjected to complete rest so he spent most of his time in the bed. I and my elder sister took care of him with turns. Eddie had her medical examinations so I spent most of the time with Dad. I tried to make him remember his old memories but he always refused saying it puts too much stress on him. I have always seen my sister looking oddly at him whenever he says this. So one day I went up to her and asked the reason behind her expression.


"You see, after Dad's Accident I studied about Retrograde Amnesia in detail. It turns out that if someone has extremely harsh memories in the past, then it puts stress on that person to recall it after amnesia. But I don't remember Dad having any Harsh memories except for mum's Death. So why is he feeling pressurized to recall old events? It feels a bit strange to me."


I was listening to her with great concentration though I have no interest in medical theories. When she finished, something suddenly clicked my mind. "Dad's diary!" I exclaimed. "Dad used to enter important events of his life in a big red diary! You remember sis?"

At this, Eddie also had a bright smile of her face and the same twinkle in her eye as me!


Eddie quickly jumped from the chair she was sitting on and went to Dad's room. He was asleep due to the strong pills. She opened the cupboard and took out the diary. "I'm sorry dad. I know you forbidded us from reading this but... I'm sorry" she said softly and left.


That whole night I and Eddie stayed awake reading every page of the diary. When we finished, we looked at each other with utter disbelief and teary eyes. "I can't believe this is true" Eddie finally spoke after a long silence.

~~~~~~~


15th April 2007


I guess this was my destiny. My wife left me because I lost my job. Did she want me just because of my job then? How can someone drastically change like this? Or maybe I was just stupid thinking she liked me for me and not for my money. Whatever, I lost my job and my wife and also this quarter given by the office. Sigh. What will I tell Eddie and Mindy? I think I should just tell their mum met an accident and died....sigh.

But most importantly how will I earn our daily bread now and where will we stay? I can't let my daughters starve or wander on the streets, homeless. I'll have to do something. I'll HAVE TO.


24th April 2007


Sometimes life gives you options and you have to choose one. And that "one" you choose might even ruin your life. But yet you can't choose the other. Well in my life this is the kind of scenario. It's now nothing but a jigsaw puzzle which can never be solved. I am now a hacker who hacks into people's accounts to steal money.


It all started when I met Mr.Brownson, my old colleague. He greeted me at first sight and asked me about my well being. I greeted him back and told him about my jobless condition and how I am living in a tiny rent house by working as a cheap labour. He told he felt bad for me and offered me to work with him. I was surprised. So he either left the old job or lost it like me. I thought it to be a family business or something like that until I saw it for real. When I learned everything, I had no option but to accept it. I had lost my job as a labourer and did not even have my money to pay the rent of the house. So now I will hack people and fill my bank account. What will I tell my daughters? I think I'll just tell them I got a job in a software company...sigh.


3rd November, 2017


Can't believe this happened! I got introduced into politics by a distance uncle of mine who was unaware of my job and welcomed me into the world of politics few years back! I left the hacking job of mine much to my colleague's annoyance, and became a politician! And today I am voted as the Mayor!! This feels like the best day ever! I never thought the citizens will rely so much on the promises I made and praise my works till today! I will definately look after my people well. I won't let their trust in me fade...


16th December, 2020


It's him again! I don't have much time to write but if I die, I hope this entry will help my daughters punish Mr.Brownson. Firstly I am sorry for my past acts. Few minutes ago, Brownson called me after years. I didn't know what to say and nor was he interested to hear. He told me what he had to and hung up. "Your Anti-Hacker scheme ruined my life! All my hacking techniques are now useless! My hacking headquarters is raided! My partners are arrested! But I escaped. I helped you when you were jobless! I never exposed you when you became a politician although you were getting richer and becoming famous day by day! And this is how you repay! You evil betrayer! Since I have lost everything, I'll make you too, once again. I won't even let you have the one thing I do, that is, life! Beware Grey, I'm coming for you!"


I Have to go to a important meeting tonight. Probably this is the last time I see the world. I don't know what will happen to me but I'm ready for it. One has to pay for his sins one day or the other. Take care Eddie...Take care Mindy... Goodbye...

~~~~~~


We immediately took the diary to the police. Dad was sentenced to a few year's jail for his past cybercrimes and Mr.Brownson was arrested. It wasn't hard to track his phone number. He confessed everything, including that he had deliberately caused the accident. He was also sentenced to a long term jail for his cybercrimes and attempt of murder. Though the end was harsh, with dad being arrested, I and Eddie felt light and relieved. We did the right thing, though the truth was hard. Dad never remembered his past events even after his imprisonment period was over and nor did we try to make him remember. Things went peacefully from thereafter, with Eddie becoming a very efficient doctor and me becoming a professor at a famous University and Dad being happy and peaceful for the rest of his Life.

~~~~~~~

January 07, 2021 15:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

15:40 Jan 07, 2021

Hope you enjoy it =) Please feel absolutely free to share your suggestions and correct my errors. I would really appreciate that =)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Andrea An
18:44 Jan 14, 2021

Hi! Critique Circle here! This is such a nice story. I guess the only thing I didn't like is how emotionless the protagonist is. I don't feel her grief, her sadness. I don't feel any connection to her. I think the story would have been much better if you gave us a clear picture of their emotion, feelings, etc. Otherwise, well done!

Reply

04:04 Jan 15, 2021

Thank you so much for your feedback. I will definitely work on it and try to improve. Keep reading my stories. =)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:06 Jan 14, 2021

Well done,good luck

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aarshia Ray
17:50 Jan 08, 2021

Well done Rupkatha! It's a nice story :-)

Reply

17:59 Jan 08, 2021

Thnx=)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Monisha Saha
18:03 Jan 07, 2021

Well done 👏👏

Reply

04:22 Jan 08, 2021

Thnx =)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:27 Jan 07, 2021

Wonderfully written but dare I say, you should definitely work on your grammar. There's a few mistakes in your dialogue and the tense is constantly changing throughout the story. Great work but quite ungrammatical! Keep working , am sure you will improve!

Reply

04:21 Jan 08, 2021

Thank you very much for the suggestions and I will work hard on it =)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.