0 comments

Fantasy Teens & Young Adult Science Fiction

Avery was not sure she had ever seen such a building in her life. The style of architecture she was only familiar with in pictures; a large old looking gothic building with dozens of windows. Some of them, broken and shattered. From the outside it appeared the corner of the windows were scorched as if a fire had blown out the windows. She looked to Vesna on her left and Fitz to her right. 

“This church wasn’t here yesterday, was it?” Fitz asked. The town of Ginsval didn't have much, especially not a giant cathedral.

“Buildings tend to not be in the middle of grassy fields,” Vesna responded. 

It belonged in a large city; the capital. Surrounded by equally sized buildings. Not the field of a small village in the southernmost part of the country. She looked at her surroundings with the minimal light that the moon provided, the cool summer breeze passing between them. 

“Well, who wanna go in first?” She looked between them and took a step backwards. Fitz looked at her, running a hand through his tuft of white hair, looked back at Vesna who reciprocated the same look and nodded towards her. 

Great

“You’re the one that insisted we come here in the first place.” Fitz snaked his arm behind her and pulled her forward. “Lead the way, oh brave one,” he said. 

“You’re the one that can start a fire with the snap of his finger,” she remarked. He shrugged. 

“Fine,” she muttered. “Everybody got they device?” The three of them held out their Radiphones. They could snap communication throughout the entire country of Rhea. Together they ascended the large steps to the enormous red door with her leading at the front.

She looked up at the top of the door frame, the outline of a carved rose with its thorny stem with an open book behind it. Taking a deep breath regretting having ever suggested venturing to the area she leaned onto the door. 

The door unfolded with a loud creak, as if it hadn’t been opened in years. The building wasn't just desolate, but looked to be entirely abandoned, cobs of webs gathered in the corners, like nobody had walked the hallowed halls in years. Fitz grabbed her by her wrist and in turn she latched onto Vesna. She could hear her own heartbeat in her ears and wondered if they could feel it as well. The overthinking of her childhood imagination that told her that there was a monster in the corner.

Even at 17, she couldn't psyche herself out of not believing there was anything in the dark ready to jump out. 

“You had to be curious!” Fitz whispered, with the combination of fear and irritation in equal measure his tone. They took every step lightly.

 “We sure this a church?” Vesna asked. “Don't really feel anythin’ holy.”

She wasn’t sure this was a church. “There’d be more crosses wouldn't there?

“Good point.”

 She looked at her surroundings with the minimal light that the moon provided, scorch marks covered the walls, broken chairs and desks littered the halls. Vesnas breath hitched. “What was that?” 

“That ain’t funny Ves,” she said. 

“It ain't a joke, shut up and listen,” she whispered. When they stopped, the sound of loud banging could be heard. The sound of something repeatedly being dropped on the floor. 

She peaked her head around the corner, the moonlight shone through the shattered windows providing her light. Walking on her toes, she could feel the irony of strolling through what looked like a school hallway when she herself had just graduated this time last year.

“Why are we gettin’ closer to it?” Fitz tugged on her arm. She grabbed his wrist and pulled him in response. 

“Why are you here?” 

Neither of them bothered waiting to confirm whose voice it was, her breath hitched before breaking out into a sprint with the others following not far behind. With no idea where she was running to. She didn’t even know where she was running through. The only thing she could think of as she ran was that if they survived this she swore she was going to give them both a piece of her mind. 

She slowed her pace, more aware that she could only hear the sound of her own footsteps as she ran through the halls. Dread filled her. What?

Her radiphone buzzed, scrambling it from her pocket she brought the device to her ear. Fitz's voice rang through, “Where are you?” His drawl was more pronounced than it had been all night. 

“You were right behind me!” she frantically whispered. 

“I didn’t see any of you,” Vesna claimed. 

“Are we in a maze?” Fitz questioned. “We gon die in a maze.”

She looked around and stopped at the sign above the frame of the door. “A library!”

“What?”

“Actually it doesn’t matter!” she whispered aggressively. She heard  him suck his teeth on the other end.  

“Bullshit,” he said. “You-”

“Enough you two!”

I didn’t do anything! Are you gonna argue with me or are you gonna meet up with me?” All she did was step outside the house for fresh air, how was she supposed to know that a giant building would appear and they would get lost in it.

He sighed in defeat. “Where’re you?” 

She shut her eyes and breathed for a moment. Luckily Vesnaa answered for her, “How we supposed to know?”

“Well that attitude ain't helpin' us. But what do you mean ‘library’?” His breathless voice was static over the small phone. “This ain't a library.”

“The hell there ain't!” She whispered. “If I know one thing, I know what a library look like. It's just a giant building with millions of rows of books.” She stared at the sign ‘Rose Order Library’, before her an expansive hall; a sea of rows of books filled to the brim. 

The Rose Order. Rose Order….the name had felt familiar to her. From a history class. 

“But that’s imposs–” By the tone of his voice she could tell his eyes landed on something similar. 

“Seeing is believin’ beloved.” She hid in the nearest room–a closet within the room. She grabbed a pair of scissors, holding her mouth with her hands, near suffocating herself. The adrenaline that pumped through her veins was beginning to wear off. 

The door to the room opened. One. Two. Three. Four steps, she could see the shadow of the figure of a stop.

The door flew open and on instinct she held the scissor in a reverse grip and–was stopped. The girl's hand caught her wrist. “Calm– woah! Calm down,” she said. Her eyes widened, the girl had brown skin and matching eyes, with loose shoulder length black curls. She stood a head taller than Avery herself, wearing a torn gray shirt, black pants with a brown jacket and black boots strapped with a silver chain to match the six piercings on her left ear. She smiled lazily, “I’m Thea. Athea. But mostly Thea.”

She placed her hands in her pockets and looked around at the room and let out a whistle. The girl had an air of confidence about her, the kind of confidence that only came about when someone knew not many people could or would confront them. 

“Well.” She looked up at the ceiling. A painted pattern of vines and flowers weaved together and met at a garden. “What's it like discovering an ancient library that went missing centuries ago?”

“‘Scuse me’?” 

“It seems like you, Avery, just rediscovered the ancient Library of the Rose Order.” She sounded like she didn't really care about the building all that much. Picking out a book from the shelf, the girl coughed as the dust suffocated her. 

Avery blinked. “Rediscovered?” She could hear her own drawl go up as the echo reverberated through the room.

“You got that right,” she smiled. “It's been missing for centuries, for you guys” she repeated as she stepped out into the halls. “Fitz should be here soon, he’s busy trying to uh, find his way out of this ‘maze’. And Vesna should be here soon too.”

She stared at the curly haired girl in disbelief. “Cen-” She heaved. “Centuries?” 

“It was here one day–centuries ago now, like six or eight. Then one day.” Thea waved her hands over her head. “Gone overnight.”

“Do they have drugs here?” Avery asked. “Are you on drugs?” 

“We used to contrary to popular belief and I wish.” Avery heard a crackling and a hum, sparks of blue electricity ran up Thea's body, the pieces of metal; the chain on her boots, bracelet, and piercings sparked. She placed her hand on a pole that stuck out from the wall. 

The lights flickered for a couple moments, as if slowly relearning to turn on. 

Wherever the fire had been had not spread entirely to this part of the building. A couple of corners of the vast room were darker than others as well as an entire wall was blacked out. Piles of ash sitting in place as if it hadn’t been touched. Some lights were not turned on solely by the fact that they were broken.

 She remembered Fitz igniting a match with his fingers before tossing it into a campfire. Espers. Just different elements, same concept. 

“Who are you?”

“I’m Thea–

“What are you?”

“I’m the Keeper of the Library. Something like…a guardian.” Her face, heavy from dejection.

“You’ve been here for centuries.”

“For you. I’m not immortal.” She began walking through the rows of shelves. “I only woke up when the building arrived here.”

She strolled over to a shelf and leaned down, picking up a book from its space. “‘The History of Esperers of Rhea’.” Thea turned to the first page. “‘Let it be known that Rhea as a country has an incredibly complex relationship with their Esper population, compared to the surrounding territories blah blah blah’.” She shut the book and shoved it back into its spot. 

She didn’t sound very thrilled about her job. 

“‘Esper Theory’, ‘The Temples of The Delca Empire’, ‘Ancient Rhea Mythology’.” She picked up the book from its sport. “This thing might be just as ancient as the ancient mythology in the book at this point.” She flipped through the volume. “Just like they said,” she muttered and slammed the book shut.

This …library was lost to history?” 

“The hell is going on?” a male voice. Avery snapped her attention to Fitz with fair skin, white hair and red irises. Vesna followed behind him her facial expression mirroring his. 

“How’d y'all find-”

“I showed them. Think of it like giving them a mental map,” Thea said. “I'm completely.” She paused. “In control of this place. Just like they said.”

“Who’s ‘they’?” Vesna asked.

Fitz’s head tilted upwards, staring at the intricate art on the ceiling. Unlike the room she had just been in, with the light she could see at the center of the ceiling was a massive book with a rose at its center surrounded by celestial bodies, painted with the delicate strokes of a thousand brushes. 

The scorch marks of fire in the bottom left corner of the ceiling, where a wall caught fire and raced upwards to burn away such a beauty. In original condition it might've been compared to the art in the Vatican.

Vesna looked at him and gave him a worried look. “Is this real?” She gestured to the room around her. “This is…” She didn’t finish her sentence as she opened a random book.

Avery followed Vesna down the row of books, the shelf between them nearly reaching the ceiling. Ladders on each side for anybody who wanted to climb to a higher book.

“What's…the Order of the Rose?” She asked. Thea looked at them silently and continued to browse through a section of history books. Avery looked at the sign above another section: Fiction. 

So many authors, concepts, ideas and characters, forgotten by the sands of centuries gone by. Stories that were shelved and forgotten to collect dust. Mere relics of a bygone era. Centuries of ideas thought to be lost to ashes…before her eyes to be unearthed. 

“They’re like magical Historians,” she said. She picked up a tome from the shelf and wiped it clean. “Their job is to honor–was…to honor History–”

“‘Preserve, protect and entrust’,” Fitz finished. Vesna gave him a strange look. “My grandfather once told me that. Talked on and on about the Rose Order and about my fire.”

 Thea looked at him, impressed. And then turned her attention to the center of the ceiling with a melancholy smile, like she was recalling a memory.  “Many of them are–were Espers, much like your friend Fitz and I, except a lot more loyal to knowledge. They..used their collective power the day the building was burning to create a fail-safe. That I would be protected and with it the Library itself in another time.”

“You not loyal?” Vesna asked, closing a book. Fitz passed her another one.

“I’m learning to be.” Thea shrugged. “But I’m just an apprentice.”

Avery noticed how she didn’t change the tense. “‘Knowledge is power’,” she quoted. She herself couldn’t name who said such a well known saying but she knew the powerful implications behind it. 

“Power over the elements and some other things, yeah. Later, King Ezekiel, the arrogant prick–”

“Every little Esper's favorite historical figure to learn about." Avery recalled listening to Fitz's grandfather ramble about history. And King Ezekiel was often brought up.

“A historical figure already? Historical tyrant is more accurate.”

Fitz snorted. “Yeah, right. Gramps said he was worried about loyalties. The Order was loyal to knowledge, academics, ‘stead of the monarchy. Afraid they wouldn't be loyal to him when he ascended the throne. Wanted to burn the buildin’ to ashes.”

“But why?”

He shrugged. “There’re theories, but nobody really knows. For certain anyway.”

Thea slammed a book shut, the sound echoing through the chambers and picked up another, not bothering to put it back in its slot. 

“He started a war not long afterwards, against our kind,” she said. “That's why he was afraid The Order wouldn't be in his pocket. Not that it mattered in the long run, he’s still remembered as one of the worst rulers that ever sat on the throne.”

“Mass knowledge is too much power,” Fitz said, as if reciting the words of another.

“He sent somebody to come all the way down over here…to burn down a building?” The town of Ginsval was in the southernmost region of Rhea towards the east and that seat of the monarch, Larinati was in the central part of the nation.

Fitz's fingers drummed on the dust covered wood of the shelf. “Allegedly if the Rose Order knew the King's plans they would have revolted. Or a large portion of them would have. Enough to make the difference.” 

“Oh. Makes sense,” Vesna squatted on the ground. 

“Right, such ‘A long and complicated history with Espers’ or whatever,” Thea commented. “Not much complication.”

“So what does this mean?” Avery asked. “I found a lost library but for some reason it's in the wrong location.” She looked at the three people in her company; two Espers with different degrees of knowledge and Vesna, a simple girl but still a friend who was just as lost as she was. “What now?” 

What would it mean for their modern day?

“Who knows?”

“Ain’t got a clue.”

“How should I know?” 

She groaned. Great.

Fitz paused and thought. “Somebody could…restart the Order.” Vesna smacked him lightly on the back of the head. “That was unnecessary,”

“Quit talkin’ like that.” She nodded at Thea who still had an air of sadness to her. “Some people are still processin'’.”

“This is good though ain’t it? Why not…”

Bring the Order back. She couldn’t say the words. 

Thea's jaw clenched. “As far as I’m concerned, there's no point in the Rose Order anymore. Whatever King now is going to want to burn it down himself. Or use anything in here and then burn it down. Mark. My. Words.” 

“Queen,” Vesna corrected.

“Oh, they allow those now?” 

“Wait, wait, why would she do that? It's a miracle this place even survived mostly intact?” She asked.

Why would anybody do that? She thought of the greater community of Professors, Teachers, Historians, Archaeologists; any preserver of knowledge and ancient text. What would they do with themselves if given the opportunity to walk the halls of The Rose Orders Library.

 And then she thought of people and remembered that they were multifaceted. 

The things that had been left behind, the relics of history were not evil; they were objects, ideas on a page. It was the people who were evil, carrying banners of representation with no goodness in their intention. 

“That Queen, how long has she sat?”

“Less than three years,” Fitz mumbled.

“The Noble Houses don’t really like her,” Vesna said.

Their desire to have knowledge only to harm others. Justification for subjugation, found through leaders who often distort truths and facts, manipulating them into their own twisted lines of logic for their selfish desires: money, power, conquest. 

Thea crossed her arms over her chest, leaned against the shelf and gave them a smile dripped in sarcasm. “What do you think it means?”  

Vesna inhaled. Fitz brought his hands to his face and rubbed his forehead bringing his hands downward and shook his head at his dreaded epiphany. “Accomplishing what your ancestors could not.” 

“She would want to burn this place to ashes.” Ice filled her veins.

May 22, 2024 21:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.