0 comments

General

You know how it feels when you're a kid and then you're given the toy you always wanted? Or your favorite ice cream flavor when you did good?

There's always this feeling of immense joy and excitement when you unwrap it- hastily or carefully. 

There's also this thought that you don't deserve it or you don't need it but accepts it anyways. 

Evie remember when she used to unwrap presents from her adoptive parents, always being thankful that she's been saved from the wretched place she used to call home. 

Being a kid and having a manipulative mother wasn't a good combo, so when the authorities took her and gave her to a nice and loving couple that were unable to have a second child, she knew she was okay. 

There was this one toy, though, in particular, which she loved so much that she has kept it all these years. 

She was eight and when her sister's friend came home to play, she was amused by the simple robot dog that she brought along with her. 

She's begged her parents to buy her that present and they searched both high and low just to find it for her. For their princess. 

So when Evie unwrapped her present, her toothy grin managed to even go wider. Something her parents and sister was glad to see. 

She was just so pure and so small, so young and carefree. 

From that day she knew the importance of keeping your things neatly and giving them value. 

The small dog she brought everywhere, day by day in school she'd pack it inside her bag and would play with it when it's recess time. 

Nobody wanted to play with Evie, well, until she met Mal. 

Mal was a girl raised by two misunderstood people, misunderstood by the society. 

Her mother, the so called 'witch' by the higher class or gossipers, earned that title when she was accused of stealing from one of the houses late at night. Since then, Maleficent didn't let the words of others get to her, or her family. 

Her father was a nice man that brought his son to baseball games and his daughter to the basketball ones. Misunderstood, he was, because he showed up late in their life. He only came back when they were three. He was called a cheater, unfaithful and unclean when all he did was find a job to support his family,

Evie learned the value of friendship in Mal. The value of love and time.

Day by day, week by week, month by month they grew closer and closer. Some would even say they're in love at a very young age. 

And they did fall in love. None of them knew when and none of them knew why. But they knew they'd conquer the world together. 

Mal gets down on one knee in front of her family and Evie's as they celebrate her birthday on the beach. 

"We've been together for ages, Evie. I know we had our fair share of ups and downs, I know we both see the world differently but at the end of the day, we sort it through. I want to wake up next to you, day by day, sleep next to you and tell you how amazing you are every night. You're my one true love. Marry me." 

Those words struck Evie like a mallet to the stomach and her heart kickstarted. 

Quickly, quickly, rapidly it beat. Mal just kneeled and waited for her answer. 

That's when the familiar feeling hit her again. The feeling of immense joy that she was crying, that she was letting their memories flash through her mind. 

The feeling of excitement filling her in as she thought of the possible memories they could make. 

But the looming thought of being someone undeserving of Mal's love hit her like a truck. She began to overthink as their families watched. Mal's face was turning from a smile to a frown of uncertainty.

She didn't unwrap this present but it's like removing the wrapper carefully as time slowly passed them. 

She looked down on Mal, no words coming out of her as she pulled her up and kissed her deeply. 

Mal finally grinned into the kiss as she slipped the ring on Evie's finger. Their families giving them looks of pride and concern.

The amount of joy Evie had was something so old and familiar yet new and electrifying as she took a look at the golden ring and diamond. The smile never leaving her face. Her eyes never leaving the ring on her finger. The same way she did on her Christmas present years ago.

"Do you like it?" Mal asked as she hugged Evie from behind, "More than you can ever think. I love it." She replied, relaxing into Mal's touch. 

The feeling of receiving a present on Christmas Day and getting your favorite ice cream flavor was completely different than this. 

But it feels the same way. 

It hits the same way.

And she can't wait for it to hit again. 

She can't wait for the small girl in her womb to be born. 

So yeah, maybe it is like unwrapping a present someway. 

That's why when she was pushing hard, harder, the hardest she could muster and then heard a cry. She cried as well. 

Her daughter, their daughter was born.

And it's like somehow a present that you'll delicately hold as she cried. 

Evie loved their daughter and Mal did too. She brought them more joy than any present or food can offer. 

They loved her more than themselves and both made sure to never let anyone bring her down. 

"I can't wait for her to take over the world." Evie smiled as their daughter, Morell played in the mud, Mal chuckled, "I can't wait to scare her future boyfriend." 

So yeah, remember asking you how it felt when you receive something you like? Something you yearned for. 

Whether it's a toy or a daughter. To Evie, it's the same.

It hits the same way.

October 17, 2019 10:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.