1 comment

Friendship Teens & Young Adult

"Anna, Anna! Wake up, child!" Dr. Summer Jacob said impatiently as she roused her almost 16-year-old daughter from sleep. She was a lucky woman, she thought. 

Despite having lost her husband a few years back, she's managed to pull through the hard times and raise a responsible daughter. Now to hear her perfect daughter is missing classes was a little bit shocking for her.

"urghh.. Mum? You are back. When did you get in?"

"A few minutes ago. Had dinner yet? How was school?" Dr. Summer asked

.

"No dinner. I was waiting for you, and school was good," Anna replied.

"Sure? Anything interesting happen at school today?" she asked, looking closely at her daughter. It was then she began to notice the little changes. 

Anna's usually bright eyes were dull and sunken. Her auburn hair, always shiny and combed with so much vigor were messy and packed in a bun. Has she been so busy with work at the hospital as a surgeon that she failed to notice her daughter was no longer her usual bright self?

Anna replied, 'Nope, nothing interesting. Just the usual stuff', she said, fiddling with the bedsheets and looking out of the window.

Looking pointedly at her daughter, 'your school called. You weren't in school today. And you've been skipping classes in the past couple of weeks. Care to explain why?' This time, there was a little hardness in her voice.

'Shit! Why did it not occur to me that the school would call my mum'.

"Anna, I'm talking to you. What is going on? You've been skipping classes, and now you are missing a whole day of school! When did this start?"

"Mum, I can explain. It's just been rough a little, and I didn't want to disturb you. I promise it's not something serious and…"

"Oh, it better not be because the school has requested my presence at the Principal's office tomorrow, and I intend to get to the root of this. Come downstairs for dinner, and we will talk."

*****

"Are you sure we should be in here? "Anna asked, looking skeptical. It was their classmate, Jason's parents' bedroom. 

"Come on, girl, relax. Don't be a spoilsport. Jason's parents are never around, and these parties have become regular. Look, everyone is here," Whitney, Anna's best friend, said. 

"I know, but this place is off-limits. It's his parents' private room".

Scoffs. 'pfft, it's not like we are stealing anything. I hear Jason's mum is obsessed with exotic fragrances, I will make use of it a little, and off we are'. 

She dashed into the closet and opened drawers. And finding a scent she liked, she daubed some on herself and came out. 

Whitney was the most popular girl in school. Everyone wanted to be in her circle. Often Anna wondered how they became friends. Whitney was the social butterfly while Anna was the quiet straight-A student.

Though snobbish and self-centered most times, Whitney had always been good to Anna. Anna only came to the party because Whitney cajoled her. Today, the party was even raunchier because there were older kids around.

'See? All set. Annie dear, you need to go out and have some fun. I'm leaving you to your own devices. There's a hunk from Kings College I would like to acquaint myself with', Whitney said, leaving.

'wait! You can't… great, the exotic and mighty Whitney has left me again. For a boy no less,' Anna grumbled. 

As she made to leave the bedroom, she contacted Jason, who was coming into the room.

'Anna! What are you doing here?' Jason queried, 'you shouldn't be here.'

"I know, Whitney brought me here and…' she trails off as she catches sight of his bare chest. 

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have come here. I will just leave". 

Anna tries to leave, but Jason stops her holding her hand.

"No, it's okay. I'm surprised you are even here for the party. It doesn't seem to be your thing".

"Well, you know Whitney, she wants something, she must have her way…" Anna laughs. "Her mum wouldn't let her come unless we came together."

Jason joined in the laugh, 'ah, the indomitable Mrs. Baker. Sometimes I wonder how your friend survives her mom…'

"Speaking of her, where's Whitney?" Jason asked, glancing around the room.

"She just dashed out before you came in. I was to follow her".

"Okay, I know these party scenes are not usually your thing, and they can be a bit overwhelming. I don't even know why I throw them," he says, laughing.

"Maybe because you're bored and you don't want to stay alone in this big empty house. I hear your parents travel a lot", covering her mouth to speaking too much 'oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to…"

"It's okay. It's no secret anyway. And you are right. It gets lonely here sometimes," he said, looking into the distance. 

"You are free to hide out here, and there's no need to censor your words around me," he chided.

Smiling shyly, Anna thanks him. The two prolong the talk until it was time to go home. Stepping into the leaving room, they were assailed by the loud bang of music and booze smell. 

Some of the older kids looked like they had been taking some substance. Jason shouted over the loud music, 'I hope you know, I don't do drugs. But I can't stop the others from doing it'.

Looking at him for a second, Anna shouts in reply, 'I believe you.' "I need to find Whitney so we can leave."

"Alright, I will help you look for her," he said. As they made to turn towards the hallway, there was a loud crash outside the house. People filed out of the living room to see what was causing the commotion. 

There's been a car crash house outside the house, and an injured boy is lying on the floor. Whitney and the college hunk she talked about earlier with two other guys staggered out of the vehicle looking drunk and disheveled. Anna rushes to meet her friend Whitney as an ambulance pulls up.

****

It's been two weeks since the party's incident, and life had almost returned to normal. But the parents of the injured student have filed a complaint to the school concerning the students involved. In those three weeks, Anna and Jason have been going out and skipping classes to spend time together.

It was a Wednesday morning. Dr. Summer Jacob, Anna's mother, was in the Principal's office alongside two officers carrying out an investigation. Most of the students who were at the party had been interviewed and reported to their parents. Unlike the others who were interviewed alone or in their parents' presence, Anna's mum was in the Principal's office with Whitney and Mrs. Baker.

As Anna stood in the hallway waiting to be summoned, her phone beeped. She clicked on the video and saw a video of herself and Jason having sex in the woods. And then a pop-up message: Whitney was behind the wheels; she was stoned. Say anything, and this goes viral

Reeling from the shock, Anna looked up to see the Principal's door open.

"Miss Jacob? "called the Principal's secretary.

"Yes?"

"They are waiting for you inside."

As she stepped into the Principal's office, her eyes met with Whitney's, who sighed in relief that Anna had come to clear her name. Anna quickly looked away and met her mother's eyes. She had lied to her the previous evening about her skipped classes. She was now torn between having her sex video leaked to the disappointment of her only parent, whom she loved so much, and betraying her best friend.

Her mind made up, she schooled her features and turned to the Principal, "Yes, Principal Whitmore"…

November 13, 2020 13:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Wolfy 🐺
21:33 Nov 18, 2020

I love the mother-daughter relationship and the way you present the characters. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.