0 comments

Coming of Age Friendship Romance

It was a cold, cloudy, misty early Friday morning that Friday morning. The sea waves lulled gently under Shawna's family's fishing vessel, tied safely in harbor.

Sixteen year old Shawna watched through binoculars as the Bottlenose Dolphins breached over the horizon in the distance. Summer Vacation would be over in two days. Shawna sighed in indifference.

Today was the first day of Fall, the day of the annual Beach Party at the local Beach. There would be community garbage cleanup on the Beach, Sea Grass and Mangrove planting, Hula Dancing, Limbo, Tug of War, food and beverages and other entertainment until 9 o clock in the evening that night.

Shawna hadn't attended the party ever since her father died of a massive Stroke during the Tug of war tournament 3 years ago.

Her mother walked up to Shawna on the docks. "Shawna, honey, I made some Oatmeal. Hurry inside and have some while it's still warm..."

There was a short pause, followed by "Okay, mom." Shawna replied.

Shawna and her mother had a quiet and humble breakfast together in the kitchen of their family cabana.

"Have you talked to Owen lately? How's he doing in San pedro?"

Shawna's Cousin Owen moved to a neighboring town, San Pedro to marry and move in with his girlfriend of 3 years.

"Owen says he and his Wife are expecting. He also wishes all of us well, and to hug Sandy for him." Her mother replied.

"That's nice..." she said.

It was at that moment that Shawna's younger sister had walked down from her room, having just woken up for the day.

"Morning, guys..." Sandy muttered.

"Hi, Sandy. I made some Oatmeal for breakfast." Her mother replied.

"...Sounds good."

After Breakfast, Shawna went up to her room and stared out of the window absentmindedly.

A few hours later at one thirty in the afternoon, a seventeen year old young man at Shawna's school named Carlos stood in front of the door of the seaside house, and took a deep breath.

"Come on, Carlos, you can do this..." he said.

Carlos then knocked on the door. Shawna's mother answered it.

"Hello ms. Morgan. Can I talk to Shawna please?" Carlos asked.

"Sure! Let me get her!" Said Ms. Morgan.

Shawna sat on the floor, browsing the internet on her tablet, when her mother walked up in to her room.

"Shawna, a young man from your senior class is here. He wants to talk to you." She said.

Shawna inwardly smirked and rolled her eyes, already having a hunch who it was and what he was going to say to her.

Tiny beads of sweat were dripping on Carlos's face.

"Shawna, I was wondering if you'd like to go to the Beach Party with me?"

Shawna thought to herself "I don't think I've gotten over my Dad dying yet, but it has been three years since his death, and it would be rude to say "no" so I guess I have to..."

There was a pause from Shawna, followed by "Sure, Carlos, I'd be happy to go with you!"

"AW YEAH!! I mean, that sounds great! Shall we head out to the Beach Party, then?" Carlos replied.

Shawna would never admit it, but she was conflicted between feeling Anxious and Hopeful. She wasn't sure if she could trust herself to maintain her composure, but it was too late for her to turn back now.

Carlos offered her his hand. Shawna took it, shaking aside her nervousness, and together they walked to the festivities by the seaside. They took part in the community Coastal Garbage Cleanup, planted Mangrove Tree Seedlings, and then the two sat next to the snack stand, eating Snow Cones. Shawna eating a Mango flavored Snow Cone, while Carlos was eating a Watermelon flavored Snow Cone.

"So how's your Snow Cone, Carlos?" Shawna asked.

"It's refreshing. How about you, Shawna?" Carlos replied.

"Same." She replied.

At that moment, the mayor said "Attention, Beachgoers! In five minutes the Tug of War contest will begin! The grand prize this year is a fifty dollar Gift Card from El Burrito Loco!"

Shawna froze and went pale.

Shawna's father's team made it to the finals in the Tug of War Contest three years ago. They had almost won when her father, out of the blue, screamed and fell over backwards, legs jerking violently. The Paramedics brought him to the hospital.

"Doctor, is Henry okay?"

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Morgan, but your husband is just too far gone. I don't know how much longer he has, so I suggest you say your goodbyes now." The Doctor replied.

Carlos lightly, gently touched her shoulder. "Shawna, it's ok. Me and my friends are entered. Would you watch us?" He said.

Shawna shakily wiped a tear from her eye.

" I...ok." Shawna replied.

Carlos and his group of friends entered the Tug of War tournament, they won the Quarterfinals, the Semifinals and they won the Finals.

Carlos' friends walked up to the two.

"Great to see you back out in public again, Shawna. We missed seeing you at the Beach!" Said Carlos's friend De'Shawn.

"Thanks for supporting us, Shawna." Said Carlos's other friend Paul.

"You took a big step forward in recovering from your Trauma today. You're stronger than all of us combined to come here. " said Carlos's female friend Cara said.

Carlos then said to Shawna "So, would you like to go to El Burrito Loco with me sometime? My treat!"

Shawna smiled and said "Okay! Sounds great! I'm free all day tomorrow!"

After that, Shawna and Carlos played Limbo, and then had a slice of pizza and a soda from one of the several Food Vendors stands before Carlos escorted Shawna home.

When the two got back to Shawna's home, Shawna looked at Carlos and said "Thank you, Carlos. I had a wonderful time at the Beach Party with you."

"So...See you for lunch tomorrow?" Carlos asked.

"See you for lunch tomorrow." Shawna replied.

It was at that moment that the Fireworks display that signaled the end of the event went off.

Carlos and Shawna sat on the ground, watching the Fireworks. And then they kissed.

May 15, 2021 00:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.