0 comments

General

The Tradition

By Rachelle Loveless


1968


"Alright you three! Let's hurry up! I've already phoned your dad, and he's waiting for you. I'm going to tell you once; you'd better behave or I'm going to spank your behinds when you get home! Come on! I've got to be at work in 25 minutes!"

     This was the first time of many that my mom hurriedly yelled these words. And the first time we spent the day at Sears.

     My name is Maggie. (Margaret for long). I'm the oldest and only girl of 3 children. Paul and Ray are my younger brothers. Ray is a year younger and Paul is 3 years younger than me. My parents divorced when I was 6 so my mom had to go to work. My dad worked at Sears selling tractors and stuff. Here begins our daytime life at Sears.


2 Years Later


     By now ALL of the employees knew us by name. We got candy from the candy lady, popcorn and soda from the popcorn and soda lady. I was going to charm school at sears and my brothers were taking self defense. Santa would come by and see US bringing candy canes and ho ho hos for the whole week he was in the store. I got an eye exam and glasses. Who knew so much went on at Sears!


2 Years later


     Promotion for my dad led to us being in the appliance section. That was beyond boring. We had completed our classes so we were pretty much just hanging around. Recipe for trouble. I'll never forget one of us accidentally knocking the fire extinguisher off the wall. It busted open, started spinning and spraying EVERYWHERE! Needless to say, spankings all around that night! The fun and laughs were almost worth it. Soon after that someone started an art class. All day long. I swear it was just for us. Sometimes other kids were there and sometimes not.


15 Years later


     "Come on you two! We've got shopping to do!" 

     I'm all grown up now, with two children of my own. We shop every year for their school clothes. (In those days if the kid wore a hole in the knees they'd replace them.) Almost all of my Christmas shopping was done here.

     All of the employees have changed, so no one knows me and I know none of them. But I know Sears. I grew up here.


15 Years later


     "Thanks mom. I get off at 8:00".

     "Alright sweetheart, I'll see you then. Have a good night. Love you".

     "Love you too".

     I now have four children, and it's number three that I'm dropping off at work. At Sears.

     Although my father had retired years ago, it was still a "family tradition" to shop at and work at Sears. My husbands mother worked there making custom drapes and his sister as a sales lady. My daughter now does that same job but it's called a 'sales associate'.


2 Years later


     "Come on punkin'! We've gotta go! It's going to be so crowded!

     "Ok Nana, I'm coming!

     My granddaughter moves like a turtle. That is until we hit the doors of the store she'd be moving so fast I can hardly keep up!

    Finally we're at the store shopping. Gbaby in a basket so I don't have to chase her.

     Nana why do we always come here?"

     "It's a family tradition baby. Ever since your great grampa worked here".

     "My grampa worked here? Mommy works here too.".

     "Yep and we're gonna see her for lunch in a few minutes".

     "Eeeeee! I'm so decided!"

(She means excited)


2 Years later


     "Moma I need to get the kids some last minute Christmas gifts". This from my adopted daughter. From the relationship after I divorced my husband. 

     Of course we went to….Sears. I was excited since I hadn't been all year. I was shocked when I opened the door. I almost didn't recognize it! Many shelves were empty, merchandise depleted. Everything 50-70% off. Everything must go. Sears was closing.

     I walked around looking at the remaining articles in kind of a daze. I can't believe it! Where will I bring the children for their first shopping trip? First swimming suit, first diamond? What would happen to the family tradition?

     My daughter and I looked around, talking and laughing;. She didn't know all of rhe thoughts running through my mind. All the memories, laughter, togetherness. All the years. Over four decades this place had been a part of me. A part of my life. Now it was about to disappear like it never existed!

     As we left the store with our packages I realized that even the fixtures, shelves and mannequins were for sale. I shook my head sadly and left Sears for the last time.


Some Time later


     "Come on in! Welcome to our Grand Opening!" I repeated this over and over as new customers streamed into my new store. It's Christmas and everyone is excited to see what we have to offer.

     You see I did return to Sears...one more time. I bought every shelf, table, mannequin and any other piece of equipment I could. For years I have been creating things. Lights, lamps, jewelry, furniture. All kinds of things. As I was sorrowing over losing a family tradition in that store, it came to me. WE began the tradition; WE upheld it, enjoyed it, shared it. WE gave it Life! None of that has to end because of a building closing. So… I've opened my own store! We sell clothing, jewelry, toys, shoes, housewares, a restaurant, a play area...and more. More than that, my entire family works in the store with me! Every one the head of their own department. The homestyle love that I received from Sears had taught me what was really important. Customers want connection just as much as they want merchandise. Comfort is comfort no matter where it is. I gathered everything I could remember from my days at Sears. Friendly faces, comfortable surroundings, interesting and original merchandise.

     Nowadays our family tradition is to give great deals at Christmas, shop right along with our customers, cook a traditionally untraditional Christmas dinner and invite customers, neighbors, friends and family.

     It's really all the same.


  • The End


December 13, 2019 21:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.