The librarian who was a multiverse traveler.

Written in response to: Write a story about a librarian that doesn’t fit into the common librarian stereotypes.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Bedtime Contemporary

The librarian who was a multiverse traveler.

I happened to get into the multiverse library by accident. I had been looking for a book I had heard about a long time ago.

I ended up at a library in Rio. The streets were filthy. However, I had promised myself that I would at least look to see if the book was there.

Meaning?

I had ended up at the most weird bookstore. And there I had been engaged in a conversation with. Well, you have to read that story elsewhere. Anyway, my conversation got me into a discussion of books, maps, and specifically books by some of the most adventurous people. Hemingway, Burton, Flashman, Asprin, etc.

The owner of the bookstore discovered I was heading to Rio. Suggested a library there. Stating sometimes people do not know what they have and if the wrong librarian is there might be persuaded to sell one of their books.

The library I was informed by the owner of the bookstore had a special section. Special section? Seemed that a private individual had donated his library there. But, on the condition that only he and those who had his key were allowed in.

I jokingly asked how did the library afford to keep such a section?

The owner just hooted and said donor funded the library and wanted to keep his books secure outside of his home. Too many prying eyes or something to that effect.

Thus from the bookstore owner I had gotten an address to a rather lonely library in Rio. Being there for a party. I dressed as a devil bear. I ended up opening the doors around 11 AM one morning during the carnival.

The librarian seeing me. Tried to chase me out. I smiled. She was lovely. I could see why the owner of the secret book section visited this place.

I calmed her down by giving her a book. Why? Book lovers love books. And seeing what book I had given her. She allowed me to undress my custom and have a look around.

Now, key wise I had to persuade a person of interest. Specifically, an ambassador of England to lend me his pass to libraries. Which when I showed the librarian she smiled and asked what I would like to see. And to get the key? I had found a detective to get the janitor to lend him his key for a few hours. Which I made a copy of it.

I asked by the name of the owner of the library to see his book selection. She was caught unprepared to say no.

And?

I was shown to the room. And with the janitor’s key I entered the room. Now? I found the collection of books to be those lost books people only hear about.

Original Shakespearean plays that were lost to time or, more specifically, to a book lover in Rio. A copy of Burton travels to the Black Rock. A description of how a Christian entered the holy Islamic area. A complete set of Baum’s Wizard of Oz all 18 books not 14 as in this current reality.

The selection held many more books than you could imagine. A section on the bible which are no longer available. The battle of Yahweh. Proverbs of Solomon that are not in any version of the bible I knew of.

You say sounds like you are imagination is running wild. It did for a while. I mean, I could skim some of them fast and got the vague understanding. Remember, most of these are handwritten. Their words were not standardized.

Some were more imaginative than others, with hand painted depictions of what they were about.

The stories of Richard Burton were worth the time to sit for a while. I missed practice of carnival and probably forfeited my dance fee. However, around 11 PM, the librarian coughed. Asking if I could please consider leaving.

I am rather un-charming and an ogre, to boot. I asked if I could take her out for dinner for her lateness. To my surprised she said yes. I asked if I could check out the book I was reading and she said yes surprisingly.

I took her to a secret place in Rio. Cafe Shi - it had opened recently. Meaning it was a traveling cafe.

Lovely place.

Anyway, the librarian fell head over heals with the authors I introduced her to at the cafe.

Personally, I never understood women. She loved listening to the storyteller Ender.

His pirate stories were wildly insane.

I think she loved dancing more with the Claw. His dance waltz made even me to look up from the book I was reading.

And I?

I am an ogre. I read, ate, listened to her exclaiming how wild this place was.

I smiled.

I had gotten into the alternative realms part of Burton and now understood his association with some Charles Dodge. They had done some magic with mirrors and such.

Wildly insane descriptions of visiting alternative realities.

There was even a section of him picking up a Mona Lisa.re not in any version of the bible I knew of.

You say sounds like you are imagination is running wild. It did for a while. I mean, I could skim some of them fast and got the vague understanding. Remember, most of these are handwritten. Their words were not standardized.

Some were more imaginative than others, with hand painted depictions of what they were about.

The stories of Richard Burton were worth the time to sit for a while. I missed practice of carnival and probably forfeited my dance fee. However, around 11 PM the librarian coughed. Asking if I could please consider leaving.

I am rather un-charming and an ogre, to boot. I asked if I could take her out for dinner for her lateness. To my surprised she said yes. I asked if I could check out the book I was reading and she said yes surprisingly.

I took her to a secret place in Rio. Cafe Shi - it had opened recently. Meaning it was a traveling cafe.

Lovely place.

Anyway, the librarian fell head over heals with the authors I introduced her to at the cafe.

Personally, I never understood women. She loved listening to the storyteller Ender.

His pirate stories were wildly insane.

I think she loved dancing more with the Claw. His dance waltz made even me to look up from the book I was reading.

And I?

I am an ogre. I read, ate, listened to her exclaiming how wild this place was.

I smiled.

I had gotten into the alternative realms part of Burton and now understood his association with some Charles Dodge. They had done some magic with mirrors and such.

Wildly insane descriptions of visiting alternative realities.

There was even a section of him picking up a Mona Lisa. https://www.minds.com/Talon123/blog/every-man-should-be-a-french-king-and-get-their-own-mona-lis-1327088928833933322

At this point carnival was in full swing. Cafe Shi was filled up with poets, writers, authors, storytellers, each with their own tale.

Of course the lady librarian was thrilled and annoyed at me for reading.

Why?

I planned to finish the book in a night. However, even an ogre such as I danced with her enough to make her eyes sparkle. Then? I fed her.

Meaning?

I told her to let me pick her meal. She did disagree until she tried to read the menu.

Now the menu at Cafe Shi is special. It speaks to the language of the person seeing it.

And all the librarians could see? Was the price tags. Some of the meals there were pricey. Meaning?

An ox head from the time of Khan ran around 50 gold pieces. Something like 1000 dollars in that time frame.

And?

She was a librarian, and I wanted her to eat well so I could finish my book. So I ordered her this is this and that is that. Spending more on her meal than she could make in three months.

She was aghast at the price tag. And said on no. I could not have that. I ordered her some scotch and then scotch pudding on top of it all of it and then made her listen to the story in the book I was reading. Meaning?

I too was a storyteller once upon a reality. https://theprose.com/post/92852/journal-of-a-wondering-mind-through-the-multiverse

April 20, 2022 12:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.