Path of the Nomad

Submitted into Contest #267 in response to: Your character overhears something that changes their path.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Drama Science Fiction

The wind swept across the wastelands, carrying with it a thick layer of dust that clung to Kai’s skin. He wiped the grit from his brow and crouched lower beneath the rusted-out skeleton of a vehicle, his focus on the mess of wires in front of him. The transmitter wasn’t anything special—just a jumbled heap of tech—but to Kai, it was more than just scrap. It was his way of proving himself.

The Nomad Enclave had rules, and one of those rules was that you didn’t get respect until you earned it. For the last eighteen years, Kai had been nothing but a kid with a cyber-arm and a knack for fixing things. Now, at twenty, he was determined to prove he could do more—contribute something bigger to the Enclave than spare parts and patched-up tech.

He glanced over at the rest of the scouting party in the distance. They were older, veterans of the wasteland. Joran, one of the roamwardens, was there too. Joran had been like a father to him ever since Kai’s parents died in a raid, but the older man had been growing distant lately, burdened by the Enclave’s growing struggles.

The wind picked up, and the transmitter crackled to life beneath Kai’s hands. It sputtered and fizzed, but then—clear as day—a voice cut through the static.

“We can’t afford any more delays,” a low voice said, sharp and commanding. “The supplies have to come from NeoEden. No more games.”

Kai frowned. That wasn’t a signal he was supposed to be receiving. He reached for the dial to shut it down, but then he froze as a voice he recognized answered.

“We’re working on it. But the Enclave can’t hold out much longer”

Kai’s blood ran cold. It was Joran.

“SkyReach has what you need,” the first voice responded. “But they want assurances—control. They’re not in the business of charity.”

Kai’s hand slipped from the dial. His heart raced. SkyReach? Control?

“You know the deal,” Joran said. “The Enclave can’t survive without their resources. If we don’t agree, we’ll be finished. They’ll crush us.”

Crush us. The words rattled through Kai’s mind. He wanted to shut off the transmission, but he couldn’t tear himself away. Joran, the man who had raised him to believe in the freedom and independence of the Nomads, was cutting a deal with SkyReach, the very corporation that had turned the NeoEden City into a prison. No one got out and no one, especially not from the Enclave were allowed to get in. Except if you were one of those important corporats.

“You need to give us time,” Joran’s voice continued, his tone strained. “I’ll get the others to agree. We can’t keep this quiet much longer”

“That is not our problem Roam warden. You have two days to decide. I propose you choose wisely Mr. Joran.”

The line went dead, leaving Kai in stunned silence.

The sky had darkened into a deep shade of purple as the sun vanished below the jagged horizon. Kai’s thoughts swirled with the echoes of Joran’s voice, the secret deal with SkyReach still gnawing at his gut. His boots kicked up dust as he trudged along with the scouting group, barely paying attention to the cracked earth beneath his feet.

That’s when he heard it—the low, mechanical roar that sent a chill down his spine.

“Kai? You hear that?” Reya whispered, her eyes scanning the horizon. She is one of the younger scouts and his closest friend. Her sharp, emerald green eyes could always see what others never could. She always have her long black hair tied back in a loose braid. Reya had grown up with Kai in the Enclave, and they’d always had each other’s backs. She was always there when he needed her the most. She looks worried.

Kai stopped, his ears straining. It started as a faint hum, like metal grinding against metal, but it grew louder, rumbling in the distance. The noise sent adrenaline surging through his veins.

Before Kai could react, a sharp whistle cut through the air, followed by a deafening explosion. The ground shook violently as a column of fire erupted where one of the scouting vehicles had been moments before. Shrapnel sprayed in every direction, and Kai was thrown to the ground, his ears ringing and his vision spinning.

“Get down!” came the frantic shout of one of the Nomad scouts. Chaos erupted around them as the Ironclaw Marauders closed in, their attack vehicles barreling through the wastelands, guns blazing. The dull hum of engines turned into a shrieking howl as the Marauders charged forward, their makeshift war machines kicking up clouds of dust and debris.

Kai scrambled to his feet just in time to see the leader of the Marauders, Karn Ironclaw, standing atop a massive, armored vehicle that seemed to have been patched together with scraps of the old world. Karn’s body gleamed with cybernetic enhancements, his hulking figure bathed in the glow of the setting sun. His right arm, a monstrous metallic claw, twitched as he raised it high in the air.

“Look at them!” Karn’s voice boomed through a speaker system mounted on his vehicle. “The Enclave rats scatter like insects! Crush them!”

More explosions rocked the ground as the Marauders fired their weapons into the Nomads’ ranks. Kai ducked behind a crumbling wall, pulling Reya down with him as gunfire shredded the air above them.

“Damn it!” Reya shouted, wiping blood from a shallow cut on her cheek. “We’ve got to move or they’ll tear us apart!”

Kai’s heart pounded in his chest, his mind racing. He peered over the wall, watching as the Marauders advanced with terrifying precision, their vehicles outfitted with scavenged tech and heavily armored. The Nomads were outgunned, forced to scatter as the Ironclaws tightened the noose around them.

“We can’t outrun them,” Kai muttered, his breath coming in short bursts. His left arm, the cybernetic one, twitched as he activated the energy shield embedded in it. A soft glow enveloped him and Reya just as bullets sprayed in their direction, the shield holding steady against the onslaught.

“We’ve got to get to cover,” Reya urged, her voice thick with fear. “If we stay here, we’re dead!”

Kai looked out at the battlefield, his gaze locking onto Karn Ironclaw. The hulking brute was grinning, reveling in the carnage his Marauders unleashed. Kai’s blood boiled, but his mind flashed back to Joran’s words. “SkyReach has what we need. If we don’t take this deal, we’re finished.”

He clenched his fists, the words burning in his mind. Is this what Joran meant? Was this the future he had foreseen, a future where the Enclave was too weak to defend itself against threats like the Ironclaws? Was that why Joran was willing to submit to SkyReach?

Kai’s thoughts scrambled between the chaos of the battlefield and the conversation he’d overheard. Was survival really worth the cost of their freedom? Could they stand against enemies like Karn without the resources SkyReach promised? He didn’t know. All he knew was that the Enclave was falling apart, just like this battlefield.

“We need to go now, Kai!” Reya’s voice snapped him out of his thoughts.

Kai nodded, pushing the fear down and gripping her arm. “Follow me!”

They sprinted across the open ground, ducking and weaving between the scattered remains of destroyed vehicles. Marauder gunfire trailed after them, bullets whizzing past their heads as they dove for cover behind a twisted metal hull.

Kai pressed his back against the makeshift shield, panting. His mind raced with decisions he wasn’t ready to make. We can’t fight them off like this forever. Not without help. Not without supplies. But the idea of giving in, of letting SkyReach dictate their fate, made his stomach turn.

A shout drew his attention to a Nomad struggling with an Ironclaw Marauder. The Marauder, a hulking brute with cybernetic legs, had the Nomad pinned, laughing as he raised a spiked club for the final blow.

Without thinking, Kai activated the blade attachment on his cybernetic arm, the thin edge glowing blue. He surged forward, slashing through the Marauder’s legs with a clean strike. The brute collapsed with a scream, and the Nomad scrambled to his feet, nodding a quick thanks before running toward the others.

Kai stood over the fallen Marauder, breathing heavily, his heart thundering in his chest. He glanced back at Reya, who had crouched behind the cover, staring at him with wide eyes.

“This isn’t just about us,” Kai muttered, more to himself than to her. “The Enclave… it’s not ready for this.”

“Kai, what are you talking about?” Reya asked, panting, eyes darting to the battlefield.

Kai hesitated. He couldn’t tell her here. Not now. But the weight of what he’d overheard was growing heavier by the second. He looked at the Marauder writhing on the ground, the Nomads struggling to hold their line against Karn’s overwhelming force. Was there any way out of this without losing everything?

“We have to regroup,” Kai said, making up his mind. “We’ll deal with this later.”

“Okay brothers! We are done here. Grab all the loot that you can leave the weaklings behind. We have places to be.” Karn shouted with a gleeful smile.

By the time the Ironclaw Marauders finally retreated, the wastelands were littered with debris and the wounded groans of Nomads scattered across the battlefield. The sky had darkened to a deep purple, the air thick with the acrid scent of smoke and blood.

Kai stood among the wreckage, his cybernetic arm sparking faintly from overuse. The Nomads had survived, but barely. The attack had left them shaken, their numbers thinned and their resources nearly exhausted. Kai’s body ached, but the deeper pain gnawed at his mind.

By the time Kai returned to camp, the sun was dipping low again, casting long shadows across the Nomad Enclave. The mobile city creaked and groaned as the wheels of its massive platforms rolled slowly over the cracked earth, carrying the Nomads to their next destination. Kai could see the figures of his fellow Nomads going about their business—children running between the trailers, traders haggling over the price of scrap, mechanics repairing broken-down vehicles.

“Kai?” Reya approached him, her expression tight. “We made it, but… I’ve never seen the Marauders hit us that hard.”

Kai didn’t answer immediately. His thoughts were spinning. He knew Reya was right—the Enclave had been pushed to the brink, and this wouldn’t be the last time the Marauders came for them. His heart clenched as he remembered Joran’s words.

“What if…” Kai started, his voice low. “What if Joran’s right?”

Reya frowned. “What are you talking about?”

“SkyReach,” Kai muttered. “Joran’s talking about making a deal with them. For supplies. For protection.”

Reya’s eyes widened in shock. “SkyReach? Are you serious? They’ll turn us into slaves, Kai. We’ll be no better than the people in NeoEden.”

Kai swallowed hard, his fists clenched at his sides. “But after what just happened… how are we supposed to keep fighting? We can’t keep losing people like this.”

Reya stared at him, her face a mixture of disbelief and fear. “So what? You think we should give up everything we’ve stood for? Hand our freedom over to a corporation?”

“I don’t know,” Kai whispered, his voice strained. “But if we don’t… I don’t know how we survive.”

Kai clenched his fists, trying to calm the turmoil swirling in his chest. Joran had always told him that the Enclave would never bow to the corporations. They survived on their own terms. That’s why they roamed the wastelands, free from NeoEden’s iron grip. But now, everything he’d believed in was a lie.

A loud announcement came over the city

“Listen up everyone. We have something important to tell all of you.” A lot of people stopped what they were doing and started wandering towards wherever the meeting would take place.

He turned and headed toward the leaders, Reya followed him from a distance. His heart pounding in his chest. He wasn’t fine. Not even close.

Joran’s voice cut through the campfire’s crackle, addressing the gathered Nomads with an air of authority. It was a rare sight to see the entire Enclave gathered like this—hundreds of Nomads, young and old, sitting in a wide circle, waiting for Joran’s words.

Kai stood at the edge of the group, hidden in the shadows, his heart thudding in his chest. Reya sat nearby, her brow furrowed in concern. She had noticed his distance all evening. But Kai hadn’t been able to tell her the truth. Not yet.

Joran cleared his throat, his voice heavy. “We’ve been through hard times before. But this… this is different. The Enclave is running low on supplies. Our water sources are drying up, and our access to medical gear is nearly gone. We’re even struggling to keep those menacing Ironclaw Marauders away. If we don’t find a solution soon, we won’t make it through the next season.

A murmur spread through the crowd. Kai clenched his fists. He knew what was coming.

“We’ve made contact with… outside sources,” Joran continued, his voice tight. “SkyReach has offered us a lifeline. In exchange for certain.. agreements, we’ll be guaranteed resources. The kind of resources and protection we need to survive.”

Gasps and shocked whispers erupted around the circle. Kai felt his stomach churn. This wasn’t just survival—it was submission. Submission to everything they’d fought against.

“I won’t lie to you,” Joran said. “It’s not an easy choice. But it’s the only one we have.”

Kai’s blood boiled. He couldn’t stay silent any longer. He stepped forward, his voice shaking but loud enough for everyone to hear.

“No.”

All eyes turned to him. Joran’s face went pale.

“Kai…” Joran started, his voice wary.

“You’re selling us out,” Kai said, his voice rising. “You told us we’d never bow to SkyReach. That we’d survive on our own terms. But now, you’re giving them control over all of us.”

“It’s not that simple,” Joran replied, his tone firm. “We’re out of options.”

“No,” Kai shot back, taking another step forward. “We’ve always had options. You just don’t want to fight anymore.”

The crowd went silent. Joran’s eyes narrowed, the air between them tense. “You don’t know what you’re talking about, Kai. This isn’t a game. It’s survival.”

“Survival isn’t worth giving up our freedom,” Kai said, his voice shaking with emotion. “We’ve made it this far without their help. We can make it further.”

Joran’s jaw tightened, but he didn’t respond. For a long moment, the camp was silent, the weight of Kai’s words hanging in the air. Reya’s eyes were on him, wide with shock. But there was something else there too—something like hope.

“I believe in the Enclave,” Kai said, turning to face the crowd. “I believe in all of us. And I’m not going to let SkyReach take that away from us. We can find another way.”

The crowd murmured in agreement, but the decision wasn’t unanimous. Joran’s face was a mask of conflict. He glanced at the other Roamwardens, then back at Kai. “You’re making a mistake.”

“No,” Kai replied, his voice steady. “You are. We can still find what we need. We’re even working on a machine that can help us with finding the water that we need.”

“You don’t know that it will work. Even if you did know, it’s too late.” He sighs. “We told you this now to let you know that we’ve already agreed to their terms.”

“You did what? You did it without talking with us? Are you really this desperate?”

Even more murmur erupts within the crowd. Joran glared at Kai now. Clearly frustrated with him questioning everything he says.

“Kai.. Can we please talk somewhere else?”

Kai nodded as both of them went to the West Edge of the moving city. Both of them always loved looking over the horizon during the sunset. It always seemed somewhat peaceful.

“Kai, I really need you, you of all people to understand how dire this situation really is.” He takes a deep breath. “So—”

“Who contacted who first?”

“Kai.. please, listen.. it’s not that simple.”

“It is. Either we fight for what’s ours, or we surrender our rights and probably start working as slaves in whatever project they’ve set up for us.” Kai’s voice was tired now. He was weary after a few long days.

“It’s too late for that.” Joran sighs. “They’re already on their way. They’ll be here by tomorrow morning.”

“Then I guess we’re done here. I have a theory on where to go. There should be a livable place a bit east of here, I’m sure of it.” Kai cracks a small little smile.

“If that’s what you think is for the best, then by all means you have my blessing.”

“Really? You will let me go?”

Joran starts belly laughing. “I may be harsh, but I’m not a tyrant.”

Kai’s face brightens up. “I will give you a call if I find anything. I have your frequency.”

They give a good long hug until Kai leaves to tell the others of his plans.

By morning, the Enclave was divided. A faction, led by Joran, prepared to meet with SkyReach and welcome them to their city. But Kai and those who stood with him packed up their gear and broke away from the main group, determined to find another path.

As the sun rose over the wastelands, Kai led the smaller group toward the horizon. Reya walked beside him, her face set with determination. The path ahead was uncertain, and the risks were great. But for the first time, Kai felt something he hadn’t in a long time—purpose.

Whatever came next, they would face it together.

End.

September 13, 2024 13:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.