0 comments

General

The watch gave him the ability to glimpse into the future, though he typically could only see small bits and pieces, nothing world changing or any of that crap. Instead, he used his watch to see which sports team would win in the next couple of hours, or what stock price might go up or down the next market day. Typically, he could only use the watch in order to benefit himself. 

A couple of times he thought perhaps he was being too selfish and should share his watch’s ability with someone else, like a friend or relative. He told his uncle about how the watch won him several hundred dollars betting against their home football team. Rather than seeming elated over their family’s possible good fortune, his uncle got angry at how he could possibly bet against their hometown’s team.

“You never bet against them.”

“But I knew they were going to lose.”

“You never bet against your own.”

“That doesn’t make any sense. I made all this money because I knew they were going to do well.”

His uncle began to throttle the young man very seriously. Eventually, his uncle took the watch that had the odd capability to tell small glimpses into the future and smashed it into as many pieces as possible. The uncle screamed as loud as he could, to the point where the young man thought that perhaps his uncle was having a heart attack and he would be in the awkward position to save his uncle’s life after his uncle had finished thoroughly whooping his ass.



February 21, 2020 03:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.