In Just Ten Seconds

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten seconds.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Romance

Backgrounder

Three Friday Nights

Sam met Sue at a party. It was on a Friday night. They were both reaching for the same butter tart on the treat table, the last one. Their hands met unintentionally. They both laughed and then divided up the tart into two equal pieces. Thus began a conversation that lasted until the end of the party. They discovered that they had so much in common – love of hiking, canoeing, dogs, and beer. It seemed to Sam that he just might have finally met the woman he could spend the rest of his life with.

They went out twice on successive Friday nights, both times they spent the evening at a pub that sold craft beer of several varieties that both of them sampled and discussed at great length. They both dressed for the occasion, very casually. Sam felt the bond with Sue growing each time. Then she called him, and said that she couldn’t make it this Friday, was Saturday okay for him? “Of course,” was his reply. But this time she was suggesting that they go to see a play that was on its last week in a local theatre. He hadn’t heard her mention theatre before, but he liked watching plays as well, of course, with being with her, so he agreed.

Two Saturday Nights

           He knocked on her door, and was greeting by a Sue that was dressed up like he had never seen her before. She looked fantastic, of course. He was dressed up for him, but it wasn’t anywhere near as formal as what she wore. He felt a little shabby in comparison. On the way to the theatre, they talked about plays and other forms of literature. She was certainly very well informed. He felt fortunate that he had taken two courses in English literature at university, before he got his degree in business. There was no talk of hiking, canoeing and dogs, and, of course, not one word was said about beer.

           During the intermission, to his surprise, she ordered wine. Although he rarely drank wine, he gave it a try himself. It wasn’t all that bad. But he still preferred beer.

           After Sam drove her home, she asked whether he was free next Saturday to see another play at the same theatre. He agreed right away. This time, he put on his best outfit. He had it dry-cleaned beforehand. And he wore a tie for the first time in years. 

           They had yet another good time, quiet but still fun in a subdued sort of way. She even complimented him on his outfit. He naturally enough returned the favour.

           Now when he was driving them back home, he thought about how after three dates, Sue had still not asked him into her place. There had been great goodbye kisses, but nothing more.

So Sam asked her whether she wanted to go back to his place for “a coffee or something.” She hesitated for a moment, and then agreed. They would have a great ending to the night. He drove her home around two o’clock in the morning. And Sue promised to call him up the next day to arrange their next date. Sam was in love.

Two More Friday Nights

Just as promised, Sue called Sam up the next night. The date she arranged came as a surprise, not something in keeping with their last two dates. She asked him whether he would like to go to a hockey game hosted by the city’s home team. She had two tickets for good seats. Sam said yes. No suit and tie for him this time. It would be casual and warm this time, overcoats, and mittens. The arena was cold.

They cheered loud and rowdy the whole game, and went to their usual pub after the game was over, and their team won. There were others there from the game, and they all sang “Sweet Caroline” together, as they had in the third period when their team scored the winning goal. A drunken, beer-drinking time was had by all, including Sam and Sue. They would eventually fall asleep on his bed at home. He drove her home Saturday morning. She did not ask him in for a coffee he could have used and definitely wanted.

Next Friday they entered a pool tournament, and did fairly well, despite the glasses of beer that were their constant companions through the night. 

Sam Wonders

Sam wondered how the dates followed two such divergent paths: casual vs formal, wild vs sedate. But then he thought about how he enjoyed both the Fridays and the Saturdays. People can be versatile, with a variety of interests. Sameness can be boring. On Wednesday, he drove Fred, a co-worker of his, home. Fred’s car would not start, and had to be towed away. He was a good buddy of Sam’s. On the way to Fred’s place, Sam talked about the Friday and Saturday dates, and how what happened on one of those nights could be so different from those of the other. Fred, who worked in Human Resources, liked to show off his education, so his response was “D.I.D, Dissociative Identity Disorder. You might it by the old, out-dated names of M.P.D, Multiple Personality Disorder, or S.P., Split Personality. They both laughed.

In Just Ten Seconds

Fred’s place was not far from Sue’s. So Sam decided, on a whim, to go visit Sue. There were two cars in the driveway, so he parked on the road.

 Then his life changed in just ten seconds. Just as he was getting out of his car, the door to Sue’s house opened. Two women walked out. They were identical, obviously twins.   He thought, in Shakespearian terms,  “I’ve been played for a fool”.  He got into his car, turned the key in the ignition, and tromped on the accelerator. At the same time, the two women recognized both Sam and his car. Two pairs of hands went up to their owner’s faces.

In Just Ten More Seconds 

In just ten more seconds, the situation turned about face. Sam had flooded his engine, which shut right down. He couldn’t escape. Friday Sue went running to the car. Saturday Sue remained where she was, head hanging down. Friday Sue reached in through the open window on the driver’s side and grabbed Sam’s hand. “I’m sorry. I’ll explain.” Sam smiled. 

In Just Ten More Seconds

In just ten seconds, Friday Sue explained, her words rapid fire “Sandra’s marriage ended. She felt unwanted. You made her feel better.  I couldn’t say no.” Sam was satisfied. He hadn’t wanted to choose.

December 26, 2020 21:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.