3 comments

Fiction Happy Inspirational

Life in the bunker was quiet. Mr. Thorp and his son Eddie lived a peaceful, uneventful daily routine. But not for long. All this was about to change. Soon father and son would come into conflict.


Mr Thorp


-        Father, tell me, why do we live in a bunker?


Mr. Thorp took off his reading glasses and left the newspaper on the dining table. Eddie, his son, had just turned 17, and kept asking questions about the world outside the bunker. The truth was that Mr. Thorp had difficulty answering his son’s questions ever since his wife died. She used to deal with Eddie’s queries with diplomatic fluency and inventiveness. But now, he was all alone.


-        Tell me, father, what is life outside the bunker like?


Mr. Thorp was a reticent man, with lofty ideals, admirable integrity and grand ambitions. But the fear of a future doomed to catastrophe had somehow altered his character. Especially when Eddie was born. Mr. Thorp felt the weight of responsibility for him on his shoulders. That changed him a lot. He had to take action to keep his family safe. That was when he took his wife and son down to the bunker.


-        And when will I go out of the bunker, father?


When it was his turn to speak, Mr. Thorp would take a serious face and with a soft but firm tone in his voice he would start explaining that the world was a dangerous place to live in, since evil and anarchy prevailed. That the bunker protected both of them from diseases, violence, pollution, evil, or warfare. Only Mr Thorp was allowed to go out; Eddie always stayed in. He spent most of the time in his room reading, or watching TV, seeing films, or listening to the radio. All about a world he had never seen, he had never been to.


-        But, father, why don’t other people live in bunkers?


Mr Thorp was adamant, and a little stubborn. He had no intention of ever leaving the safety of the bunker. He provided Eddie with everything he needed and indulged him. But no, under no circumstances would they leave the bunker. It was their safe heaven, their protection. His wife understood that too. She had obediently followed him to a pure and innocent life in the bunker. Eddie just didn’t understand, because he was young and restless.


-        Aren’t I old enough to go out, father?


However, Mr. Thorp soon realized that Eddie, although he was a kind, polite and quiet boy, would soon become a man. An adult. Then he would be free to make his own decisions for himself. No, Mr. Thorp could not stop him, if he decided to go out, in the real world. But he was sure he would return back to the bunker, if he saw the world with his own eyes. Because Eddie’s upbringing was the best. 


Eddie


-        Eddie, the outside world is merciless, my son.


Eddie would soon become an adult. That meant he would take his own decisions for himself. He had great plans; and first and foremost, to go out of the bunker, in the real world. To see for himself everything his father had told him.

He would walk in the nature, see the flowers and the trees at first hand, see the birds flying. He would stare at the sky and watch its colour change during sunset and sunrise. He would count the stars, and enjoy the full moon.


-        Life in the city, Eddie, is corrupted and sinful.


Then Eddie would go to the big city. He would walk down the main streets and see the shops, cafes and restaurants. He would bump into people and apologize for it. Because that’s what people do.

He had other secret plans too. He would rent an apartment near the city centre, with big windows and a balcony. Then he would start a University Course, probably English Literature. Of course, he had to find a job to make ends meet, without asking financial support from his father.


-        The Doomsday is imminent, my son.


In the meantime, he could find a good smart girl and start a family, just like his father did before him. Of course that won’t be easy, but Eddie would wait and search thoroughly. And no, he wouldn’t take his family in a bunker. They would all live in a nice apartment, probably in the suburbs of the city, with a yard and a fireplace in the living room. His children would grow out in the sun, in the nature, breathing fresh air, enjoying the sunsets and sunrises, feeling the rain trickle down their faces. They would probably get a puppy, or a kitten. Life wouldn't be perfect, but it would be their life. They would simply have to deal with it.


-        If you go out, you will regret it, Eddie.


It wasn’t that Eddie didn’t trust or believe his father. Or that he wanted to disobey him. But he had his own dreams, his own ambitions. He had to live his own life. His father probably couldn’t accept it, but he definitely understood it. All Eddie had to do is wait until he was 18. Then he would announce his decisions to his father.


-        Whatever your decision, I will stand by you, son.


Eddie was sure he had his father’s support and love, whatever he decided to do. Mr. Thorp wasn’t an illogical man, by no means. He may have got up in years, but he wasn’t irrational or foolish. Eddie knew that all he wanted was his happiness. Such was his love for him. Unconditional and infinite. Eddie was grateful for that, and felt somehow blessed. He would look after his father for as long as necessary.


So life in the bunker was superficially quiet. But soon great changes would take place. Because the world called Eddie, and he had to respond to its call. Mr. Thorp and Eddie knew it wouldn’t be easy. But they would support each other in any way. Just as they did in the bunker. 



March 11, 2021 21:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Felicity Anne
21:07 Mar 12, 2021

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME A...

Reply

Vanessa Queens
21:12 Mar 12, 2021

Thank you so so much! it is soooo encouraging!!! 😍😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Reply

Felicity Anne
21:22 Mar 12, 2021

No problem!! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.