1 comment

Fiction Friendship

Edmond and Audrey work together so perfectly, that every year they were assigned the task of painting the new sets at summer theatre. They had been doing this for fifteen years. It started when they were sixteen. It didn't even occur to either of then to look at the assignment chart.

They have other things in common both had a spouse die, reading and Tai Chi are their hobbies. the yards of both homes are artfully landscaped.

Clare sat studying the two of them as they worked. Kate walked up and asked "where are the programs?"

Clare gave a state "I'm sorry what did you say?"

Kate laughed "where are the programs and what had you so transfixed?"

"the programs are on your desk. I was just wondering why two people so perfect for each other are still single". replied Clare.

Looking over at Edmond and Audrey Kate thought for a moment then replied "they even have the same excuse, you know both of them thing that their spouses were their one and only love."

A mischievous look crossed over Clare's face before she turned to Kate and said "It's time to change that".

At that moment Audrey let out a heavy sigh. Edmond looked at her and asked "what's that about?"

Audrey gave a slight not as she said "looks like Clare and Kat are up to something. I think it might involve one or both of us as Clare has been staring this way for the past hour."

"I noticed that" Edmond said thoughtfully as they continued to work.

Later that evening Edmond looked at the caller ID and winced before answering. "Hello Clare, what can I do for you?"

"Good evening Edmond. I want to talk to you about Audrey. Now before you tell me to mink my own business, think about the facts. one, you work well together, two, you have a lot of the same interests, three you are the same age and four you look fantastic together. So why not ask her out"?

"Clare you know good and well that Rose was my one true love. I do not see the point in setting any woman up for disappointment. I don't have time to date. Between my own chores and volunteer work I am to exhausted to date. Thank you for your concern, but out!" With a slam of the phone he hung up.

Clare took a deep breath before she dialed Audrey's number.

Audrey winced when Clare's ringtone broke the silence. Reluctantly, Audrey answered "Hello Clare, what can I do for you?"

Clare smiled as she said "good evening Audrey. I was wondering if you would consider asking Edmond to the square dance as a demonstrator. You both dance so well."

Audrey took a deep breathe before saying "Clare you really need to move on to someone else. Edmond and I have been friends for years. We have no interest in each other as a date. You well know that Donald was my one true love. It would be a shame to lead some man to think that I could give that kind of love again. I have no time to date. Between work and volunteering there is little time left even for myself. I appreciate that you want people to be couples. Just don't pester me." Audrey sighed as she hung up the phone.

Clare put a check mark next to the first item on the list: plant the idea. Next on the list make sure they are called to demonstrate at the square dance. Time to call Rex and remind him that Edmond and Audrey were the perfect choice.

As planned Rex had Edmond and Audrey dance the demo before the actual dance took place. Afterward they walked over to Clare and said "I told you to but out." At that statement they looked at each other and headed for opposite doors.

Checking the second item off the list, Clare smiled as she looked at the list; only one thing left, convince them they are meant to be together.

When Audrey got home she paced the floor wondering how long Clare would keep pushing. Would it eventually effect the way Edmond worked with her at the summer theatre? Tired and ready for some rest she went to bed.

Meanwhile, Edmond paced the floor wondering why he never realized that Audrey was such a good fit in his arms. Not only did the work well together, they danced well together. There wasn't any of the awkwardness he felt around other single women. Could Clare be right? Were they perfect for each other? Too tired to think any more he went to bed. Several days later Kate called Edmond and asked "will you please go by Audrey's on your way here? I called her over a hour ago and she told me she was about to head this way. I think she maybe having car trouble again."

Edmond said, "yes, I'll give her a boost or lift. Whichever she needs. See you soon."

An unsettling feeling settled over Edmond as he drove to Audrey's. She had not mentioned the car giving her problems again. Why hadn't she called someone already? When Edmond reached Audrey's place the care was gone; 'well she must be there by now' he thought as he drove on to the theatre.

His heart stopped when he rounded the bend and saw Audrey's car laying on it's side in the ditch. He skidded to a stop, jumped out and called 911. He told the operator everything he knew. Feeling helpless as he looked through the passenger window, Audrey appeared to be unconscious at least he hoped that was the case. Please be alright, I need to tell you how perfect you are me. Edmond thought as the emergency crew worked to get her out.

As Audrey regained consciousness one thought kept running through her head "I have to stay alive".

When she couldn't slow down coming into the curve she knew she was in trouble. Then she rolled and saw the trees before she blacked out.

A small laugh escaped her lips as a new thought came to mind. Should have checked the brake fluid before I left the house. I'll never live this down once everyone finds out.

This alerted Edmond that she was waking up after two days sleeping. He ran to get the nurse as Audrey's eyes fluttered open.

While the doctor checked Audrey, Edmond paced the hall. When the doctor came out, Edmond asked "how is she doctor?"

"Edmond, she will be fine after a few more days of rest. You can see her now. " the doctor replied.

As Edmond walked in both of them said "we need to talk". They spent the next few days trying to figure out just what they needed to do with their lives. Then they went to see Clare. When she opened the door they said together "Thank you".

May 20, 2021 14:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Stevie B
23:38 May 23, 2021

Nicely done, Shari, very nicely done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.