1 comment

Suspense Thriller Mystery

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Jarome and Jesse had dreamed about attending the University of North Carolina since they moved to Charlotte when they were young boys. They grew up next door to each other and were best friends in high school. Jarome and Jesse worked hard throughout high school, both earning top grades and participating in various activities. Jarome was an avid basketball and soccer player, and he volunteered his time to help the local Boys & Girls Club. Jesse was a member of several clubs at school, including the student council, debate team, and green club. Jesse also enjoyed playing frisbee and pickleball.

Their hard work paid off when Jarome and Jesse were both accepted into UNC for freshman year! They were overjoyed that their dreams had become a reality. When the two arrived on campus for the start of their freshman year, they were overwhelmed by its beauty and grandness. The sprawling green lawns and lush gardens seemed to stretch on for miles with colonial-style buildings scattered throughout the grounds. They decided to explore the campus and see all the different buildings that were available to them. They started at the Treehouse. For the more adventurous students, the Treehouse was a secluded spot in the woods behind the college. It's a great place to hang out and watch the stars come out, or so other students told them. Next, they went to the Mansion, which ended up being Jarome’s their favorite place. The Mansion is a sprawling, three-story house with a basketball court and an indoor pool. It's run by the fraternity brothers and is a hot spot for partying on the weekends. The Quad was Jesse’s favorite spot. The Quad is the central gathering area for students. It's a place to play frisbee, talk with friends, or simply relax and enjoy the view. 

The two friends made their way to the Tower. The Tower is a ten-story all-male dorm building with a view of a local river. The walls are filled with photos and posters of the college's past sports teams. The Blue Room is a lounge on the tenth floor of the Tower dormitory building. The Blue Room was once the site of wild parties and all-night study sessions. It's since been renovated and modernized, but it still retains its charm. The Tower was to be their home for at least the next four years of college. As they explored around, they noticed how friendly everyone was – despite being strangers in a new place – which made them feel welcome right away.

They made their way to the Student Union, the hub of campus life. At the Student Union, students can hear the latest gossip and grab a snack or cup of coffee. The Student Union is where Jarome and Jesse met Demetri. Demetri attends North Carolina Central but hangs out at the University of North Carolina the majority of the time. The three become fast friends when they realized all of them grew up in the same neighborhood. That’s really all they knew about him besides the fact that he was from a small town in Texas called Abilene. They also knew that Demetri was roughly two years younger than they were at 22 years old. Had they known more about Demetri, it’s hard to say if they would have been friends with him or not. Demetri was a part of the Olsmeng. The Olsmeng was a cartel of drug dealers who prey on the weak in the shadows of the city, using a cache of weapons and fear to control the local criminal underworld. The Ringleader, controls the cartel, is a mysterious figure who heads up an underground drug trafficking ring and has a cybernetic arm. Demetri got in to deep with one of the Ringleaders underlings and now must contend with the consequences. He gets framed for a crime he didn't commit and has to figure out how to get out of it. 

It was a Thursday afternoon when all three of them met at the Union. The Union was a student-run restaurant that serves an eclectic mix of gourmet food. Students could find everything from pizza and burgers to sushi and falafel at the Union.

“Hey guys, I got a huge favor to ask, and I hope you can help me out.”

 Jesse and Jarome were always willing to help out a friend and Demetri was one of their best friends.

“Yeah of course, what do you need?”

Demetri was hesitant because it was not the normal request that you would make from your friends.

“I borrowed this car from my friend Louise. Louise lives in Abilene Texas. He needs the car back right away, but I can’t get it to him. Can you two drive it back to Louise and I will get you a plane ticket to get back here.”

Both Jesse and Jarome looked at each other. They had been friends for such a long time that they knew what the other was thinking. They both thought this was a strange request; however, both had been working really hard in school, spending the majority of their time in the library. They both really had no time for social activities or even hanging out with Demetri. They gave each other a look and it was decided.

“Ok, we can take it back for you. Can we take it first thing in the morning?”

“You guys are AWESOME!! Thank you so much.”

And with that, the die was cast. Both packed a bag for an approximately 21-hour road trip via I-20 West through Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and then finally to Texas. Demetri’s car was a 2004 Lincoln Towncar with a dark midnight blue and a hint of silver on the hood along the doors. The car had a few dings and scratches, but still gleamed in the sunlight. The car had a worn leather interior with a few minor scuffs here and there. The upholstery was worn but still as luxurious as if it just came off the showroom floor. Jesse and Jarome got into the car and started it up. The car was still running as smoothly as if it was just bought, and the paint was still shining even after years on the road. They took off on their road trip and were excited to get a few days away from campus and schoolwork. They were about halfway through Georgia when an odd smell caught their senses. There was a faint smell of sweat and decay that mixed with the sweet scent of flowers on the side of the road. The drove off on a remote exit where a small, homey cafe tucked away off the main road, with an old-fashioned tin sign hanging outside and an image of a steaming cup of coffee with a rustic motto. They parked the Lincoln in the empty parking lot and got out of the car. The sweet smell of coffee wafted in the air from an old-fashioned cafe and an antique carousel horse was sitting outside its doors. As they walked around to the back of the car, there was a pungent, chemical odor of meth chemicals emanating from the trunk. But there was another scent that was also present. The scent of death hung in the air, a faint yet unmistakable smell that could only be described as a mixture of decay and formaldehyde. The combination of the two smells almost knocked them over. They knew that they had to open the trunk but were terrified to do so.     

Jesse and Jarome were sitting in the corner of the smoky café, nursing their coffee and running through the same pros and cons of their mission with the same weary shared look. As they discussed, the jukebox crooned a melancholy tune that seemed to carry their conversation.

“I mean, I know it’s probably the right thing to do,” said Jesse, looking down at the cup of coffee in his hands, “but there’s still a lot of risk involved.”

Jarome nodded in agreement, taking a sip of his coffee before speaking.

“Yeah, I know. I mean, this car must have been involved in a drug deal gone bad and a murder. If the cops find out, we’ll be in trouble.”

Jesse sighed and took a sip from his coffee. “Why did we even agree to do this? Demetri is our friend, but we did not agree to anything like this.”

Jarome shrugged. “I guess we just wanted to help. Demetri, he needed a favor, and he is our friend.”

Jesse shook his head. “I know, I just can’t help but be worried. We’re driving a car with a dead body in it from North Carolina to Texas. What if we get caught?”

Jarome looked at him pointedly. “We won’t. We’ll be careful. We’ll take it slow and stay under the radar, and if anybody stops us, we’ll say the car belongs to a friend of ours who lives in Texas.”

Jesse nodded, finishing his coffee and setting it down on the table. “Let’s just hope it all works out.”

They paid the bill and left, walking out into the night. The stars glittered above them, and the cool night air seemed to carry a secret promise of something better. Jesse and Jarome looked at each other, their eyes reflecting the same fear and resolve. They both knew what they had to do.

The next morning, they were on the road. The Lincoln ground and groaned along the country roads as they went west. They drove cautiously, watching the horizon for signs of police. After hours of driving, they finally reached the Texas state line, and they both breathed a sigh of relief.

They drove through the night and into the morning, the sun rising to greet them as they pulled into the small Texas town. The sun was high in the sky as they parked the car and exchanged nervous glances. They had made it.

But their mission was far from over. They had to find the person they were supposed to deliver the car to. After asking around, they finally found the address, and drove to a scruffy apartment complex. They parked the car and walked up to the door of the apartment.

The door opened, and they were met by a tall, imposing figure. He wore a long leather coat and a fedora hat. He seemed to take in the whole situation in a single glance, and then he spoke.

“You’ve brought my car?” His voice was gruff, but not unfriendly.

Jesse and Jarome nodded. They had made it.

The man stepped aside and let them into the apartment. He motioned for them to take a seat, and then he began to talk. He told them about the drug deal gone bad, the murder, and the car. He said it was a mistake, a mistake that had to be undone. He said that bringing the car to him was the only way it could be set right.

Jesse and Jarome looked at each other, and then at the man, who seemed to sense the gravity of the situation.

“Go,” he said. “Leave, and never speak of this again.”

Jesse and Jarome nodded. They thanked him, and then they left. Jarome called an Uber to pick them up and take them to the airport.  As they drove away, they glanced back at the apartment, and saw the man standing in the doorway, watching them go.

They drove in silence for a few miles, until Jesse finally spoke.

“No matter what happens, it was worth it. We did the right thing.”

Jarome nodded in agreement, and they drove on. They had done their duty.

The flight back home was somber and long, four hours in total. Neither Jesse nor Jarome knew what to say to each other. They landed at the Raleigh North Carolina airport. The air was muggy, almost oppressive. The humidity in the air made their clothes stick to their skin. After they got back to campus, they went over to Demetri’s apartment at North Carolina Central. A note was taped to the door and addressed to Jesse and Jarome. Jesse took it from the door and read it out load. The note said, “I’m sorry”. They knocked on the apartment and discovered that the door was unlocked. They walked in and did not find Demetri anywhere. He had vanished into the thick, muggy humidity of North Carolina. 

THE END

April 14, 2023 17:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tricia Shulist
19:18 Apr 18, 2023

Interesting story. Friendship versus what’s right. Thanks for this.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.