0 comments

Romance Bedtime Sad

His warmth comforted her as she rested her head against his shoulder. His arm was wrapped around her waist as they both watched the sunset at the horizon. Rich hues of red blended with oranges, pinks, crimsons. The beautiful colours painted the sky, giving to those lost souls to capture hope left in the world. Her deep, earthly brown eyes glanced at his face, admiring every feature of him. His hair brought memories of golden wheat fields, of those many hued stems that danced in the autumn light, whispering gentle songs into the wind. 

She loved his eyes. His blue, ocean eyes were filled with life making it so breath-taking. A tint of pink washed over her face as his eyes caught hers. Her heart clenched at his hospital gown. He gave her his sweet tender smile, noticing a frown on her forehead. Bringing her closer, she could hear his heart beating at a steady pace. She loved his scent.  “I’ll be fine.” He assured her. She gave him a weak smile back, but fear whispered. 

The sky was getting darker as the sun slowly disappeared which only made her stomach sink. She hugged him tighter, scared that if she let go, he’ll disappear. His slim fingers brushed her brown hair which moved as free as autumn leaves. Fireflies began to flicker around as they both continued to lay on the grass. “What time is your surgery tomorrow?” She quietly mumbled against his chest. 

“10 in the mor-” He violently began to cough and tried to inhale some fresh air. His body was fragile and began to quiver, squeezing his eyes shut. Her eyes widened and she frantically turned her head around, looking for nearby nurses. 

“I’ll go get a nurse.” She quickly stood up, but he grasped onto her wrist, holding it for life. His other hand was grasped tightly on his chest, trying to control himself. He gasped for breath before trying to speak. 

“Just stay here.” He said in a raspy voice. Sweat soon covered his forehead, making every second impossible for him to focus. 

“You need help.” Her voice trembled as she rubbed his back, trying to soothe him. 

“Stay with me.” He managed to squeeze in the three words between his shortness of breath. His lungs were on fire. “I’ll be okay. Just-just stay with me longer.” 

She welcomed him to her embrace as they both laid back down onto the grass. The sky was now covered with black paint with small specks of pixie dust. He rested his head on her arm and buried his face on the crook of her neck. If he was honest, he was scared. His lungs were giving up on him and he could feel death hanging around the corner. 

He was really scared. 

Death wasn’t kind. It didn’t care how young or kind one is. If death wants one to come, they go, leaving everyone they love mourning over them. Nobody knows what happens after. The two souls were afraid of death and what it was capable of doing. The darkness continued to make her anxious since it was filled with unknowns. “Can I stay with you over the night?” She asked softly as her fingers intertwined with his. 

He let out a small yes as his eyes felt droopy. He pressed his lips against her forehead before murmuring a quick “I love you.” They both heard the crickets chirping, calling out to one another. A gentle breeze hummed over them, almost lulling them. The nurses were probably looking for them, but they didn’t care. Time was ticking fast.

 All he needed was her till he let out his last breath. 

A few nights later it was very silent. The crickets didn’t dare to chirp and it was bitter cold. She slowly sat down on the deck with her legs dangling over, her shoes almost touching the water.  She wiped her tear-stained cheeks as she quietly sniffled, her chin trembling. Her chest burned, remembering his funeral. His father, holding his wife as she cried in his arms. Reading the eulogy she wrote was difficult. She looked at the numb crowd who were filled with tears, regrets, and denial. 

How peaceful he looked resting though. 

Fate was so cruel to her. She felt anger at death for taking him away. Her cold fingers wrapped around a pebble, chucking it into the lake. The reflection of the moon rippled, not making her satisfied. He was just beginning life, why did it have to be him? The grieving felt endless and too painful for her to bear. The memories that felt so sweet and lovely have now become too torturing to even remember. 

The petty fights they had.

He was her first love.

Their first date.

The moon graced the sky like it was singing a lullaby. There were no stars that twinkled to accompany the pure, silver moon. She breathed out as she gazed at the moon. Lights in every house slowly turned off as the world began to fall asleep. The moon was left alone in the sky with no one to greet. “Do you feel empty as well?” She whispered. 

There was silence. 

She rubbed her arms together and her eyes shifted towards the deep, dark lake. The lake looked lifeless. It was like hands were reaching out of the water, almost tempting her to join them however the reflection of the moon destroys them. The beam was brighter today. She remembered what he told her.

“The moon kind of gives me peace. I don’t know why. It's funny to say that it almost feels like the moon comforts me.”

Perhaps she now gets what he meant. She now understands why he was so fascinated by the moon. Her back slowly touched the ground as her eyes slowly closed. She took a deep breath, embracing the silence. The air was bitter cold and she could feel the cool breeze blow past her as she listened to the swaying grasses.

November 19, 2020 23:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.