Write about a time when a broke heart led to something unexpected

Submitted into Contest #28 in response to: Write about a time when a broken heart led to something you’d never have expected.... view prompt

0 comments

Creative Nonfiction

Now, as I stand and look back I feel as if the whole universe has rightfully been conquered me. I know it is a wee bit too ambitious on my part to state it this way but yes, I don’t think it could be put in better words.

 I can see myself being that devastated soul with a hapless face looking around as though every single soul that I ever knew cheated on me; that very me around five months back with a tired, gloomy, expressionless, distraught face and an equally weary, dead eyes sitting all alone in every single place as though the world and the people around me never existed. Within seconds I would end up teary eyed thinking “How could he ever do it to me, was I that bad a partner or was he was too good a player?'

My whole body seemed to cry in disgust at the thought that he touched me..he touched every inch of my body…my hands trembled as though I were left in a room with -20 degree celsius . I barely survived almost every day of that phase. Was it only me he cheated on…no, it was atleast a ten other girls who loved him as honestly as they could, who showered affection on him just like hot caramel poured on to chocolate ball melting into a delicacy our mouth would be craving for , only that for us the delicacy was a bitter experience then, a far- cry from the sweet taste of the delicacy.

I would sit for long in my room looking at the blue walls just hoping all that ever happened was just a nightmare. His words rang in my ears over and again “You are meant for me dear and for sure we will live together with each one around us envying our love” and there I was realizing that he had just been fooling me with all sorts of candied words and I being an utter fool did not heed to any of my friends words thinking that it was just because they wanted us to be separated. Days’ span lengthened as though it were an year. Nature associates to us in strange ways. It was interesting to realize that those very rains that accompanied my joyous phase also weeped with me during my sorrowed situations. The melancholy that my room witnessed seemed also to perforate through the dark outside world and during the nights long hours of recurrent sobbing took place. Sleepless nights became a regular phenomenon.

"Hard luck dear! You can do no harm to me. I can prove dreadful with just one move "...and he takes his phone ..opening his gallery to show me the umpteen number of photos I sent him.....he opens the web page ...his fingers twitching to upload the pictures...all either private or edited. ......I scream...I wake up with a start ...and then again I cover my face in my palms and cry my heart out being utterly conscious of the fact that my neighbouring room would surely be able to hear my sobs.

Almost every day Sherly called me just to make sure I we alright. She suffered much more than I did. She was used much more than I had been. Every suicidal thought ended up in me calling her up and crying for hours. ... " I know you dear ...It is not alright ...But this too will pass. He cleverly beguiled us with his good looks, his sugar-coated words and nonetheless we did not heed to what people said not did we dig into understanding his past. We are totally at fault but we have surely not cheated someone and he did and that is were we win. Do call me when you feel lonely ...and ( sobbing) please keep away from foolish thoughts, I am with you ..I know how exactly you feel".

Meya's room seemed more like a 'reawakening' center with the patient being a single dampened soul, I. I dint have to look for another comforting place than her room. I clenched my hands and cried and there she was sitting beside me looking into my eyes trying to comprehend each of my emotions.

Then one day I was blessed with a soul who not just enetered my life but made things better for me within seconds. Rahith was truly a gentleman. I told him I feel used like a paper being scribbled and over- written and crumpled and thrown to one corner. He said with a smile "this could easily be wept by your mind ...try feeling calm, talk to people like you usually do, go for walks when you feel disturbed and if nothing suffices call me. Never cry..crying can never make things better. Think of all that you could do as if life has given you a second chance and you were dying to do all those you wished you can."

I cried my heart out when I was with Rahith and told him all that happened with my previous relationship. He saw it that I felt protected and told me “You are not to imprison yourself, your mind, your happiness for that person who prisoned himself for his ‘ultra-bad’ deeds. You are not the only one, and if ever that demon comes to you or provokes you with all your belongings he has with him, do let me know.” I could feel his words reverberating around me the whole day. Weeks into that new found friendship I also knew I was losing my heart for a good soul and yes! I knew one day that I could hide it no longer. setting aside all the negative thoughts I told him what I felt and as for the consequences .... I am in a beautiful relationship now ; with a person who makes me feel confident and rekindles my faith in love day by day.

Somehow I do feel that for the rivers of tears that has been shed and the amount of stress and depression I had undergone, the compensatory happenings and the unexpected events have been ample and sufficiently satisfying and even more. It has been rightfully said that every broken heart can heal itself and make way for something more beautiful and find something even more appalling. If it could happen with me it could happen with anyone or probably if it could have happened with me it could have surely have happened with someone at some point of their lifetime. The intensity of the sorrows could have been different yet the feeling, the pressure, the pain all being the same.

Human bonds are much more stronger than we think. The very thought that some stranger could have had the very same experience you might have had could lead you to think 'We are all associated if not by lineage or relationships at least by experiences and in case of an element so strong and inevitably universal as love this fact could not be confirmed better'.





February 14, 2020 18:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.