The Tale of Princess Lark Adalyn Poverly

Submitted into Contest #98 in response to: Write a story involving a character who cannot return home.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Bedtime Fantasy

Once upon a time, on a day brighter than any other, a girl whose name was Princess Lark Adalyn Poverly was born. She was the pride and joy of her parents Queen Eloise Gwyneth Poverly and King Raynor Thornston Poverly. They were the rulers of the kingdom of Alondia. For years, Lady Eloise was told she would never have children, so it was a surprise to everyone when Princess Lark was born.

As a heads up, I want to warn you. If you think this is a story where everyone lives happily ever after, nobody dies, and no tragic incidents happen to main character, you are mistaken. This is quite a catastrophic, true story of a girl who has the worst of luck.

In Alondia, each newborn royal is to have a christening three weeks after they are born. So, instead of calling her Lark, they had always called her “the princess.” A week before the christening, Queen Eloise took ill. She steadily worsened until two days before, she died.

Her last words to her ever faithful husband were, “Raynor, do not cry, do not mourn. I am going to a far better place, where laughter and joy are abundant, and where sickness and pain are no more. Hold fast to that faith. To the faith of Yahweh, our Savior.

Teach our daughter, and remember that I am always with you. I only have one other request. The day I heard that I was to have a baby, a lark flew through my window and landed on the bedpost, singing a song that was so beautiful that I cried. Because of that, I want you to name our daughter Lark.”

Even though the Queen had died, the kingdom chose to listen to her and did not mourn but rejoiced for their beloved Queen was with the Lord. On the day of the Christening, royals and peasants alike visited the castle to pay their respects to the new Princess. The king had also invited every fairy leader so they main bestow gifts upon Lark. All but one.

As the guests arrived, an orchestra was playing and everyone was having a great time. The fairies began to give gifts to the child. The Fey leader of the Kingdom of Silven was first. Queen Arthora stepped forward and laughed. “This baby is pathetically bald! The gift I will bestow is that she will have long, golden blonde hair that will never have to be brushed.” Queen Denera of Vestica gave the gift of weaponry, to the kings horror. King Yevoor of Wanark gave the gift of disguise. Lastly Queen Velyrika of Tairyia bestowed the gift of song because she too loved the song of a lark.

Suddenly right after Queen Velyrika had spoken the word “song”, howls filled the air and a chill spread over the castle. The Great Hall doors were flung open wide as a young woman burst in, dressed in sweeping silver robes, with two identical white wolves by her side. King Raynor stood his ground, though a look of fear entered his eyes. Unsheathing his sword, he stepped in front of Princess Larks cradle and in a commanding voice he asked “What do you want Iduna?” The young woman laughed and flicked a finger, sending King Raynor flying across the Hall.

Regaining her composure, she sent a steely gaze over the people in the room. “What I want is to know why I wasn’t invited to my niece’s christening? Or are you still afraid of me because of what happened to Nikolai?” Fear entered the Alondian villagers eyes. Iduna smiled. "Oh yes, that's what it is. Just because I accidentally erased the memory of your beloved Prince Nikolai, you think that you have a right to shun me and banish me to the East! You have NO right! Most of you were not there when this unfortunate event took place. Your King most likely twisted the tale, making me look like the monster everyone says I am. It started on a day like this. A christening for a young prince. I was so honored King Raynor chose me to give a gift to Nikolai. The gift I intended to give him was memory.

We had done it outside in the sunshine, and while I was in the process of giving the gift, a Roc flew in and tried to snatch Nikolai from his cradle. I had just spoken the words,"I will give you the gift of-" when it flew in. I shouted "No!" and then the guards took the Roc down with a crossbow. I finished the rites by saying "-memory", and then realized my mistake. I had given my precious nephew the gift of no memory. Since then, everyone has nicknamed me, "Iduna, Wicked Queen of the East." Because you have not forgiven me no matter how many times I have tried, I will give you a slight gift." At this, she smiled wickedly at Princess Lark, laying helplessly in her cradle. "Dearest little niece... I bestow upon you the gift of Wandering. Once you leave your home for the first time, you may never return again.

Seventeen years later...

Princess Lark Poverly awoke to the sound of birds chirping in her window. The familiar longing to leave the castle grounds settled in her stomach once again, as it had everyday. Lark stood and glanced out her bedroom window. Outside of the carefully manicured palace gates was a wild, unruly forest, filled with crystal lakes and breathtaking mountains. The pull to leave increased. Slipping in riding clothes, she reached under her bed and grabbed her crossbow.

Secretly saddling her horse, Maris, she took off towards the gates. Her best friend Evangeline had shown her a secret path that was big enough for a horse that led out of the gates. Turning sharply she led her horse to a patch of ivy. Pushing it aside she urged Maris forward and through the tunnel. Emerging, the longing dissipated and she felt an uneasy knot enter instead. Turning around, she felt guilty for betraying her fathers wishes to keep her inside the kingdom. She tried to go back through, but it was as if an invisible wall had slammed into her way. Swinging back atop Maris, she urged her to enter the forest.

Traveling for about three hours, she came to a beautiful clearing, and to her right was a lake, where three rivers met. Tying Maris to a low hanging branch, she glanced around and tried to get familiar with her surroundings. A noise came from her left and Lark snatched up her crossbow. Lighting quick she loaded it and aimed for the noise. Out of the woods came a black buck, with huge, towering racks. Lark aimed her arrow at the heart of the buck. The buck stepped forward, and to her surprise it spoke. "My fair lady! I am a humble traveler, and I am inquiring if you could help me on my journey. You see, I am Prince Griffith-" Lark loosed her arrow driving it straight into his heart. "That was not very nice." He said, looking down at the arrow protruding from his furry chest.

To Lark's surprise, the buck disintegrated into fine dust and blew away. In its place stood a handsome young man. She gasped and dove behind a bush. The man laughed, "You know that really hurt, but what I should be saying is thank you. So, thanks." Lark peeked her head up and cautiously walked into view. "Who are you?" She asked, her face wary. "I should be saying the same, but I am Crown Prince Griffith Peregrine of Kaeridien, Kingdom of the North. I was cursed when I was fifteen when I rejected a marriage proposal to the daughter of a powerful Fey. Have you heard of Iduna, Wicked Fey Queen of the East?" He asked with a lopsided grin. "I have heard of her. She is my aunt. Also, my name is Princess Lark Poverly of Alondia." Griffith stared at her, shocked. "I am sorry I said all of those terrible things about her. I had no idea." "It's fine! When I was a baby, she came to my christening uninvited and cursed me for my fathers unforgivness. She gave me the gift of Wandering, so that if I left home I wouldn't be able to return. All of my life, I have felt a pull towards the outer kingdoms. Let's just say that I just figured all of that out by sneaking out four hours ago." She smiled sheepishly. Griffith looked surprised. "well, maybe you could go back to my castle... I haven't been back since I was fifteen because my father is a fierce hunter and probably would have killed me."

So off they went towards Kaeridien, traveling many days and becoming fast friends. After a while, when they were nearing his home, Griffith stopped. He unsheathed his sword and told Lark to get behind him. Lark obeyed and carefully removed her crossbow from her back. Both in battle stance, they aimed their weapons at the noise of hoofbeats and someone on foot crashing through the branches. "Lark, when the man comes into view, I want you to shoot him in the leg." She nodded. The man came into view first, running as fast as he could with a satchel hanging on one shoulder. Lark loosed an arrow and caught him, the head finding its mark, while Prince Griffith distracted the guards chasing him. Turns out he knew them all by name. While Kaeridien Captain's back was turned, Lark dragged the thief behind Maris. "Captain Isidore! How goes everything back home?" The hardy captain took one look at his assumed dead prince, and fell off his horse in a dead faint.

He awoke thirty minutes later to the smell of a roasted pheasant over a crackling fire. He glanced around the camp and saw not only Prince Griffith, but Princess Lark, his brothers Princess. "You are Princess Lark correct? You might know my brother, Captain Flynn." Larks eyes lit up. "I do! He is always watching out for me and making sure I don't leave the palace gates..." Glancing down she trailed off, guilt entering her for the second time.

Captain Isidore patted her shoulder. "It's not your fault you were cursed. Now, I'm famished! You got anything to eat?" Suddenly, his head snapped up, jumped to his feet, and tackled a shadowy figure. "No!" Lark shouted. "He's harmless!" Isidore scoffed. "Nikolai Nottingham? Doubtful. He has plagued these parts for twelve years." "Wait." Lark's eyes widened. "Did you say, Nikolai?" She stood and glided over to where he was pinned. "Nikolai... You look exactly like my father." It hit her. "Nikolai! You're alive!" She hugged him as hard as she could. Nikolai looked to Isidore, his eyes pleading for help. "I'm sorry." He started. "But I have no idea who you are." "Right!" Lark exclaimed. "Our aunt, Iduna, Wicked Fey Queen of the East, accidentally gave you the gift of no memory. You are the son of King Raynor and Queen Eloise Poverly. You are my older brother." He gasped and clutched his head. He shouted, "I remember! For once in my life I remember!" Just like that, the spell was broken, and Crown Prince Nikolai Nottingham Poverly was free. With the help of Lark's new friend, they helped Nikolai to the castle and did everything they could to heal him as quick as possible.

Three Months Later...

Princess Lark rushed down the hallway to Griffith's chambers in Aregonn Castle. Pounding on the door, it was flung open and Griffith stood in the doorway. Lark ran through the door and hugged him. "Griff! I was in the forest surrounding the castle and-" "Lark slow down!" He laughed. "-I saw Iduna." The grin slid off his face in an instant. " Stay here, I will go and take care of her." "Absolutely not! I need you to come with me and we can finish her together." Griff sighed. "Well, I can see on your face that my attempts to persuade you will be pointless. Fine." Lark grabbed his hand and dragged him out the doors, Griffith trying to attach his sword all the while. She stopped the edge of a river about a mile south. On the other side, Griffith glimpsed Iduna, the woman who ruined the childhoods of both of them.

Drawing his sword, he grabbed a vine hanging above them, pulled Lark into his arms, and swung across. Once across, Griffith charged Iduna, and managed to get within four feet, until she flicked her wrist and he went sprawling into a tree. Anger burning in her chest, Lark snuck up on Iduna in a tree, and dropping on her head, laying her flat. Lark heard a pop and looked down. Iduna's arm was at an unnatural angle. Lark sprung off her chest, knife in hand, ready to finish the woman who had caused her pain, but stopped. She dropped the knife and said in a loud, clear voice. "I will grant you mercy. In the Bible, Jesus says to love our enemies. I do not hate you and never have, but you must pay for the harm you have caused to many people." Iduna snarled. " I don't need your petty words of love and forgiveness. I want my revenge!" With a roar, she sprung from the ground and with her good hand, snatched the knife from the ground and dove for Lark. She had forgotten about Griffith, unfortunately, and payed severely for her mistake. Griffith had run up behind her and struck her on the head with the hilt of his sword. The Wicked Queen collapsed to the ground, unconscious. Griff whistled and Isidore, Nikolai, and three more guards emerged from the woods on horseback. Tying her wrists together, they slung Iduna across one of the horses and brought her back to the Aregonn dungeons. Thankfully, Captain Isidore promised that she would stay there for eighteen years.

Lark looked at Griffith, suddenly shy, and whispered, "Thank you for saving me. It scared me so much when you smacked into that tree, I thought you were gone." A dry sob escaped her throat. Griffith enveloped her in a hug and kissed her forehead. "All is well, All is well." Griffith unexpectedly dropped to one knee and took Lark's hand. "Princess Lark Adalyn Poverly of Alondia, will you marry me?" She gasped, "Yes!"

So they were married and in the years to come, their eleven children were also happily married, of course not without troubles. Iduna escaped after five years and troubled the people once again, but that's a story for another time.

June 16, 2021 23:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Raina Joseph
01:49 Jun 24, 2021

Wonderful!

Reply

Natalie Borg
20:16 Jun 25, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.