0 comments

Fiction Teens & Young Adult Happy

   “Tabitha Cooper, successful businesswoman, January 17, 1936-February 3, 2020,” the tombstone read. 

   The richest woman I knew couldn’t even afford a slight elaboration on her grave, Serena thought to herself. 

   I can’t believe Great-Aunt Tabitha finally bit the long-awaited dust. She was the most successful woman in their family. Married to her job, never having a real partner or having any children. She died alone, her only legacy being her career. With no successors, she decided to leave her large estate and bank account to the family member with the most potential for success. Serena was definitely a shoo-in. Even though her aunt never made an effort to connect, and they barely ever spoke besides awkward Thanksgivings and cringy Christmases, she really needed the money and was determined to get it. The only problem was, she needed to prove her potential.

    “Richest woman in our family, and she couldn’t afford a bigger grave?” Serena’s cousin Nicholas shuffled to her side. They went in for a hug, but retracted once they remembered their reasoning for being there. 

   “You’re going for Tabitha’s money too?” Serena asked. Nicholas laughed. 

   “Of course, who isn’t? I’m surprised Anthony, Julianna, and Delilah aren’t here yet.” Serena’s eyes widened. 

    I thought I had a better chance at this. Guess I gotta up my game if I want that money. “At least we have some sort of advantage over them by being early. I wonder when Mr. Simmons is coming.” The cousins stared at their watches, if almost to avoid eye contact.

   “What are you two even here for?” Delilah, Anthony, and Julianna Andrews, closest to Tabitha by blood and by bond, approached the two cousins. “One of us is definitely going to win the money. We always were Tabitha’s favorites,” Anthony said. While Serena avoided her presence, the siblings genuinely enjoyed it. Those painful holiday dinners were perfectly comfortable for Anthony, Delilah, and Julianna. For some reason, Tabitha believed those three carried her same “drive and determination.” Two qualities the entire family believed Serena lacked. Although the five great-nieces and nephews were somewhat close as children, as young adults they were split up by differences in life paths and other reasons. The rest of the family wanted to be doctors, lawyers, or other large-salary occupations. Serena was in it for self-satisfaction, not the money. Except in this case, it was the money. In order to afford her college tuition, she had to win Aunt Tabitha’s money. 

   “Too bad Mr. Simmons is in charge of who gets the inheritance, and not Aunt T,” Nicholas replied. “What do you guys even need the money for? Didn’t your mom already get a giant check from Tabitha a few years back?” Julianna rolled her eyes.

   “That was for health issues. That check is all used up.” Anthony snapped. Delilah and Serena stayed out of it, both cousins averting their eyes to the ground. They weren’t confrontational types. In the silence, there was a rustling of grass blades. Mr. Simmons approached the small group smiling, manila folder in hand.

   “Well, hello! I’m Mr. Simmons, the banker you all have spoken with on the phone. Thank you all for meeting me here. There is much to discuss.” Anthony and Julianna shot glances at Nicholas as they all followed the banker, and vice versa. Delilah and Serena waddled behind.

   “I’m sorry for your losses. It is disappointing that these are the circumstances in which we are to meet,” Mr. Simmons sniffled. “Your aunt was a great woman, praised in the economic world.” Nicholas looked back at Serena, as if to say otherwise. It made no sense for Nicholas to be here. He didn’t even like Aunt Tabitha, so what was his motive? Granted, she was doing the same thing. 

   “So, Mr. Simmons,” Anthony cleared his throat, completely disregarding his condolences. “We would like to know what it takes to receive the inheritance.” The nieces and nephews looked up at Mr. Simmons.

  “Oh! Why, of course.” He chuckled. “Cutting to the chase I see, just like your aunt.” Mr. Simmons ruffled through his manila folder and pulled out Tabitha’s will and testament. “Your aunt, as you may know, was a very successful woman. Her fortune is exquisitely large.”

   “Well obviously, some of us knew her better than others.” Anthony produced a fake smile, and shot a look at Nicholas.

   “Good thing you’re all fair game. As I was saying, since she was so rich, she didn’t want to hand over her money to just anyone. They had to earn it, just as she did.” He turned the document so the cousins could view it.

   Aloud, Delilah muttered, “To be eligible to receive my funds and estates, be of my blood and pitch a successful business idea to a company.” 

   Pitch a business idea? I don’t know the first thing about economics, or business. I might as well throw in the towel now and let Anthony or Julianna win this one. They probably got a bunch of advice from her when she was alive. Delilah and Nicholas’s mouths dropped.

    “Thank you, sir,” Nicholas said, and walked off. Serena scurried after him. 

   “Nick, what are you even here for? You practically hated Aunt Tabitha.” He didn’t even go to the funeral, so why is he here, She thought.

He stopped as if he was going to respond, but didn’t and continued to walk away. Almost like a limp. Ever since their grandma died, six years ago, the bond of the cousins was never the same. She held them together, and without her, they broke apart. Out of the corner of Serena’s eye, she noticed the three siblings walking back to the main road. Delilah looked up and waved, and Serena waved back. Anthony and Julianna didn’t even look at her.

   I have to do research and find out which company and what idea. Punching the air about not connecting with Tabitha now, Serena thought.

Serena made her way to her apartment. Upon arriving, she tossed her keys onto her pile of bills and scholarship rejection mail. Serena’s goal was to win the inheritance money. The estate you could keep, but she wouldn’t mind living there. Tabitha lived on the east side, while Serena was struggling towards the south. She wanted to be a teacher, to help kids learn and grow from a young age. But to do that, a degree was necessary.

   I have zero idea where to start. She glanced at her phone, wondering if she should message one of her cousins for help.  

   They’re probably busy or would just leave me on read anyway. This is something I need to tackle on my own. Serena plopped onto her bed and grabbed her laptop.

   Ding! Her phone buzzed, and it was a text from an unknown number. 

   “Hi Serena. It’s Delilah. Can we meet?” 

   After contemplating how to respond, or if she should even reply, Serena quickly typed a “Sure, where at?” and shut her laptop. Delilah picked a cute, but expensive rooftop restaurant for dinner. Immediately after entering Serena felt out of place and she worried about how she was going to afford the meal. Things were awkward between them, for no reason. Delilah wasn't boldly rude like her siblings, she just naturally drifted like the rest of the family. The girls sat down at the table and observed the menu carefully. Serena studied the prices more than the food selections. After ordering, they stared indirectly at each other for what felt like an eternity until Serena found the nerve to speak.

   “So why did you—“

   “I’m not applying for the inheritance. I don’t need it or want it, Jules and Anthony are making me.” Delilah cut her off. Serena was flabbergasted, eyes widening and mouth hanging open.

  “Then why don’t you just tell them? That still doesn’t explain why you asked to meet though. And when did you change your number?”

   “You know how they are. Overbearing and forceful.” Delilah usually avoided direct eye contact, but for once she was actually looking directly into Serena’s eyes. “I asked you here to help you. I’m going to give you my idea, if you’ll take it.” Serena’s eyes lit up and she grinned from ear to ear. 

   “No way! Thank you so much.” Serena popped up and embraced Delilah. They hadn’t hugged in years. “I’m so grateful, you have no idea. But why?” 

  Delilah hesitated before responding. “I don’t need the money. I heard you do. Your mom has been telling mine about your financial situation and college struggles.” Serena felt disappointed that her mom was spreading her business, but felt incredibly grateful.

Ding! Both of their phones lit up. It was Mr. Simmons. 

“You will have the remainder of this month to brainstorm your ideas. On April 3, your ideas will be presented and the fortune winner will be announced,” Serena read aloud. The server brought over Delilah’s pasta and Serena’s water.

   “Only water?” Delilah looked at Serena. 

   “It’s all I can afford.” The water was $19, and Delilah’s pasta was $48. Delilah nodded and waved over their initial waitress.

   “Excuse me, could you get her the pasta primavera please? With chicken on the side?” The woman nodded and wrote it down on her notepad. 

   The pasta primavera originally came with shrimp. She remembered I’m allergic? Delilah smiled at Serena and pulled out a large notebook and a pen.

   “This is my idea,” Delilah said, handing the book over. Serena flipped through the pages. Delilah did an excellent job, but the problem was Serena had no idea what any of this meant.

  “I love it! But what is it?”

  “Haha,” Delilah giggled, then proceeded to explain the idea in its entirety. For the next few weeks, the two cousins worked together on perfecting their pitch. It was one of the first times they talked since Grandma Annie’s death. 

   It would be a lot better if all five of us reconnected this deeply. Being around Delilah made Serena remember their childhood. Running around, playing, just spending time together as a family. 

   But now Anthony and Nicholas won’t even talk to each other. Julianna despises me. Finally, April 2nd rolled around. The day before the pitch. 

   “Delilah, can I ask you something?”

   “Of course! What’s up?”

   “Have you told Anthony and Julianna about us hanging out like normal?”

   “Well, no.” Delilah looked at the ground. “I don’t know how they would feel, so I haven’t mentioned it.” Serena felt a little hurt. She would’ve told Nicholas about their hangouts if she wasn’t so scared to reach out.

   “I really want us to reconnect. All of us. I miss how it used to be, how it should be.” Serena pulled an old, dusty picture frame out of her purse. At the bottom it read, “Christmas 2003” and showed the five cousins crouched in front of the Christmas tree, grinning. Grandma Annie was in the back, pointing at the golden star at the top of the tree.

   Delilah gasped, “Wow. This feels like so long ago.” Delilah grabbed her phone and took a photo of the frame, sending it to her siblings. Serena stood up to leave.

   “Wait, the picture!”

   Serena smiled. “Keep it.”

   Today is the day, Serena woke up and got ready earlier than usual. She felt as though she had a real purpose. To win this inheritance.

   I’m not that good at speaking to people. But I guess if I want to be a teacher I need to start some time. When she arrived at the building, Mr. Simmons and Nicholas were waiting outside. 

   “Good morning!” Serena said as she approached them.

   “Someone is awfully excited today.” Nicholas snickered.

   “Are you all excited to lose?” Julianna and Anthony walked up to the group.

   “Save it. Stop acting like children. We’re all mature adults here.” Nicholas replied.

   Obviously some more mature than others. Where’s Delilah? Is she coming late?

   “Is Delilah coming?” Mr. Simmons asked Anthony.

   “She should be here soon,” Serena and Anthony said in unison. 

   “She’s probably just running a little late,” Julianna finished, looking Serena up and down.

   I’m feeling a bit bold, but not bold enough to ask them if they saw the photo. Maybe they feel the same. Do they want to reconnect too?

   “It’s 10:27.” Mr. Simmons glanced at his watch. “We’ll head up in 3 minutes. Hopefully Ms. Andrews arrives in time.” Julianna, Anthony, and Serena all reached for their phones. Serena typed frantically, while Julianna and Anthony smashed their phone keyboard with anger in every punch. As time passed, Serena wanted to speak up to tone down the awkwardness. 

   This is the longest three minutes ever. It’s weird to sit in silence with people I’ve known for my entire life. Just as Serena mustered up the courage to address her family, Delilah ran up to them. 

   “Sorry I’m late. Did I miss anything?”

   “Nope! We’re just about to head up to the 54th floor.” Mr. Simmons opened the door and led them inside. He proceeded to tell them that they would go in one at a time, and later that night, the receiver of the inheritance would be announced to the nieces and nephews. It went relatively quickly. Nicholas then Julianna then Anthony then Serena. 

   I know exactly what to do. I am confident and will be successful. Staying positive was her key to success. When everyone was finished, they had to endure a 2 minute elevator ride together. Nicholas and Anthony on opposite sides of course. The numbers changed from 54 to 42 to 39. Once they were passing through the 22nd floor, she felt courageous.

   “Do you guys want to grab lunch together? It’s kinda early still so maybe a brunch?” The entirety of the elevator looked at her. A few, silence filled seconds passed.

   “Sure. That sounds fun.”

   “I’m in.”

   “I’m not opposed to it but I actually have somewhere to be. I’ll catch up with you all later.” Nicholas approached the elevator exit.

   Ding! They were finally on the first floor and Nicholas shuffled out.

   I wonder what that was about. Nicholas was the only cousin she was certain about, besides Delilah. 

   “Alright! Let’s go.” Delilah grabbed Serena, Anthony, and Julianna and practically shoved them in front of her. They ended up going to the same restaurant Serena and Delilah frequently visited.

   That walk was so awkward. Hopefully the meal will be better. It was. Julianna and Anthony decided to warm up to Serena once again. At first it was awkward, but Delilah helped break the ice. Soon enough, the group was chatting and laughing like old times.

   Ring! Ring ding! Ring! Alerts flooded Serena’s phone.

   “Is this Serena Robinson? Relative of Nicholas Cooper?”

   “This is she.”

   “This is Doctor Frost at Greenboro Medical Center. We need you to come right away.” Serena grabbed her things, and explained to her cousins as they all shuffled into her car. Upon arrival, Doctor Frost informed them of Nicholas’ condition.

   “He's been diagnosed with soft tissue sarcomas for two years now, but I thought you would’ve known,” Dr. Frost said. Serena could feel her throat swell and her eyes sting.

   “Why did you need us to come right away? Did something happen?” Anthony asked.

   “His condition has gotten a lot worse over the past few months.” Dr. Frost opened the hospital room door. We’ve been helping him, but he hasn’t been paying his bills. He can’t afford any more treatment.”

   Ding! All of their phones lit up. It was Mr. Simmons. Serena leaned over the hospital bed as Anthony read the news.

   “Serena won. You get the inheritance.” Serena’s jaw dropped. It was a mixture of excitement and misery.

   “Nick,” Serena began. “I’m giving you the money. For your treatment. All of it.” Serena turned to Dr. Frost. “How much does he owe?” Dr. Frost scribbled on a nearby notepad. 

   $10,000. For two years worth of treatment, and two years more. Serena ran out of the hospital room, outside to her car, and sped to the bank. 

   “Hi, how can I help you?” The bank lady at the front said.

   “I need to make a withdrawal.” Serena gave her information over, and wrote a check. As she turned to leave, the bank lady called to her.

   “Ma’am? Your bank account has recently gotten a deposit of $3 million.”

   3 million dollars? Wow! Aunt Tabitha came in clutch. Serena ran out of the bank and sped back to the hospital.

   “How much money was it?” Julianna asked while in the waiting room.

   “3 million! I knew it was a lot, but this is too much. I will take out what’s necessary for my college classes, and share the rest with you guys.”

   “Thank you.” A voice said. Nicholas waddled out of his hospital room. “I’m eternally grateful.” The cousins came together in a tight group hug. Reunited and reminded of how family is precious.

December 15, 2020 18:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.