Love fillings

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story about a proposal. ... view prompt

7 comments

General

"Ugh I hate dentists."

I told my mother as I pushed open the glass door and walked into the waiting room. The usual smell of antiseptics washed over me, making my nose twitch. There were two people waiting patiently in front of the endodontist's door. I was the third.

"That is a big irony since you yourself are one." She pursed her lips and glared at me. "Aren't you least ashamed on confessing this to me?"

I shrugged. "It's just you. And it's still a truth."

We sat down on the plush sofa and waited. I looked around, observing the different awareness posters stuck on the walls. There was even a poster on how to brush the teeth properly. The common people might find it funny, but as a dental student I did know how many people actually brushed their teeth properly. They would come to the clinic with a long stretch of pale yellow plaque connecting almost every tooth and we would scrape it clean. 

A loud drilling sound was suddenly heard which gave me goose bumps. I shuddered and wrapped myself with my arms.

"Why would you be scared if you actually know what they are doing to you?" 

"Oh I don't know mom....I don't mind working on another's mouth but I don't like it when they do it on me. A childhood phobia, I guess." I said, remembering the old days when the nurses used to hold down my hands and feet while the doctor plucked out one tooth.

"I don't show it out anymore. It's just a starting trouble." I forced out a smile. "Not everyone is a comfortable dentist like me." I tried to joke. 

The noise had finally faded.

She chuckled.

"I think this doctor might not be bad after all. I heard his treatments are the most painless. He is very soft hearted too. Everyone likes him. "

I looked at the board hung outside his door. It said Dr. Ramamoorthy.

"I hope so." I sighed. Within fifteen minutes, the patient came out with a stuffed mouth. I tried to peep into the clinic but couldn't see the doctor. Time ticked by and the next patient hadn't come out yet. I was getting nervous as each second passed. I thought of my college friends. I wouldn't have this problem with them. They were so comfortable to be with. I took out my phone and texted my favourite person. Nickolas. 

I'm at the dentist. Scared as hell. 

Within a second, his reply came. 

Awww don't worry. Just observe what he is doing and learn from it. It might be a good distraction. 

I rolled my eyes. 

Haha very funny. Give me some good advice, will you?

The next person had gone inside by now.

Omg I'm the next. Save me! 

His reply came.

I can't. I'm at home, which is more than two hundred kilometres away . You will have to save yourself. Just breathe and go in. Remember you are a dentist yourself. Just imagine me working on your teeth instead of that doctor. Okay? Now go!

I took in a deep breath as my name was called. Mom took my purse and pushed me ahead. I hesitantly walked inside the dimly lit room. Dr. Ramamoorthy was an old man with a shiny bald scalp. He was washing his hands when I entered the room. He looked at me through the mirror and smiled. 

"Yes, yes. Come in."

I nervously walked towards the dental chair. Doctor put on his gloves and arranged his tray of instruments. 

"Sit down, dear. You look so nervous."

I gulped and forced a smile, while lowering myself onto the chair, swinging my legs upon it. The doctor rolled his chair towards me and switched on the dim yellow light above me.

"Now what have we got here?" He asked, observing my open mouth. I wrinkled my nose at the smell of latex.

"I have a cavity to be filled."

"Okay. Do you have any pain? Sensitivity?"

"No. It's on three-six."

He smiled at my medical terminology. 

"Which year?"

"I'm doing PG in ortho. First year."

"That's great. Mm..... the cavity is not very deep. It can be fixed easily."

He stood up from his chair and switched off the light. Then he walked into another room. I waited patiently listening to the clatters inside. I closed my eyes and took deep breaths letting my heart slow down. The door from outside suddenly opened and someone walked in. I didn't bother checking. Whoever came went straight into the room inside and was now talking to the doctor. I could hear the old man laughing. Old student, maybe? The conversation seemed to prolong and I shifted uncomfortably in the chair. I soon heard footsteps approaching me and I opened my eyes. The man in front of me was not the old doctor. It was a new guy. More importantly he was very handsome. Most importantly, he was my Nicholas.

I almost got up from the chair in shock but he pushed me down gently. Then wordlessly, he put on his gloves, then tied a mask and sat on the chair. I wasn't able to tear my eyes off him as he switched on the light and held my face. I was still staring at him like an idiot.

He chuckled at my expression.

"I wouldn't be able to work if you keep staring like that.”

Finally, I managed to speak.

"What are you doing here?"

He pulled down his mask to show his pout.

"Saving you? That's what you asked me to do."

I heard a chuckle from somewhere inside. I felt a rush of embarrassment.

"But you said you are home..."

He mockingly pursed his lips.

"Can't you just be happy that I'm here for you?"

I grinned at him. "Sure doc."

He smiled and shook his head. I opened my mouth and I wasn't scared at all. I happily stared into his deep golden eyes, how it reflected my mouth in them. His forehead wrinkled as he concentrated. I fought the urge to wipe it smooth. The buzzing of instruments didn’t bother me as much as the strand of hair that fell awkwardly to his eyes. At one point, he sat up straight and switched off the lights. 

"Done."

"What? Done already?" 

I washed my mouth when he pointed at the cup which was brimming with water. Wiping my mouth with the napkin, I readily swung my legs out but he held it back. I looked up confused.

"Actually, I'm not done yet."

He then pulled out a box from his pocket and lowered on his knee. I gasped.

"Sara.... I know this a very odd place to do it, but this crazy guy would like to put forward the question. Will you marry me?"

I was stunned for a minute. Then I laughed. I laughed so hard that my eyes started tearing and soon I wasn't sure if I was laughing or crying. I nodded hard and he took my hand and adorned my finger with a ring. It was a beautiful shiny platinum ring with a single diamond at the top. I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand and looked at Nicolas who was grinning like a kid who just got a Christmas present. 

"Only you will get ideas like this. How am I going to tell my future kids that their dad proposed me on a dental chair?"

"Before that, how are you going to tell your mom that I just proposed you on a dental chair?"

That's when I remembered my mom. My palms went to my mouth. How was I going to face her?

Dr. Ramamoorthy emerged from inside, hiding a smile.

"You look like you came out of a spa rather than a clinic.”

I blushed and turned towards Nicholas, who was discarding his gloves. 

"Congratulations you both! Never have I ever experienced such a beautiful proposal. Now, give that tooth a rest this night. From tomorrow eat anything you want. You know it. Still, as a doctor I should say isn't it?" He laughed.

Nickolas came towards me. The old man coughed. "I do have other patients waiting." And he went inside again.

I held Nickolas hand and smiled gratefully. He pressed it hard and pulled me into a tight bear hug. We stayed like that for a minute until we heard another cough from inside. We silently chuckled and got out through the door. I took a deep breath and faced mom. She looked up at me curiously and smiled.

"You look ridiculously happy. I wonder what they did to you."

I smiled sheepishly and looked at Nickolas. He looked more confident than I was. I raised my eyebrows. He smiled and walked towards my mom and sat next to her. 

"I filled her cavity and I should tell you this. She needs more personal hygiene care from an expert. I'm a budding endodontist. Do you mind if your daughter could have a personal endodontist throughout her life? He could have an orthodontist for himself too." 

My mom stared at him and me. 

"Oh well I think you should ask her dad too. I'm quite sure he would be happy to have one. Did that ring fit, Nickolas?"

July 17, 2020 16:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

09:14 Sep 23, 2020

Hey, Adhena would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time, I would ready your story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Deborah Angevin
23:28 Aug 06, 2020

I do think it is strange to propose at the place mentioned... but it was a unique take on the prompt! Would you mind reading my recent story out, "(Pink)y Promise"? Thank you :D

Reply

Adhena Madhu
08:37 Aug 20, 2020

Thankyou so much! I'm glad you liked it😊 And yes I will read yours! Sorry for the late reply though😅

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elle Clark
20:39 Jul 24, 2020

This is such a cute story! A strange place to propose for sure but I guess if you’re a dentist then this would be quite romantic! Love that the mum was in on it too - lovely little addition there.

Reply

Adhena Madhu
03:03 Jul 28, 2020

Thankyou so much for reading! I'm glad you liked it :)

Reply

Elle Clark
03:42 Jul 28, 2020

You’re welcome! If you have time and are interested, feel free to check mine out.

Reply

Adhena Madhu
04:23 Jul 28, 2020

Definitely! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.