30 comments

Funny Fiction Friendship

You must be sure to prepare the tea a few moments before she arrives. She will insist that she’s not in need of any tea, but that’s a charade. She must be served tea. On the good china. Not the plates from the back cupboards. You’ll be tempted to serve her tea in chipped and brightly colored cups, but you must resist this impulse.

There is an etiquette to the feud.

You must wear your finest attire. Your hair must be coiffed. Your make-up should be simple, but impactful. Your nails are to be done, and you must always wear a flat shoe. You should smile, but not broadly. You should inquire as to your guest’s latest endeavors, but allow them to do most of the talking. They will follow these same rules when they invite you over to their home. When you are the guest, you must watch what you say. Give very little. Use the washroom once and only once. While you’re in there, check your teeth to be sure you haven’t been poisoned as it shows up first in the enamel. If you’ve been poisoned, excuse yourself and return home to rest. The poison we use in this feud will not kill you, but it will cause you to spend a day in bed. Be advised of that.

Murder is not our end result. Not at all. You would not do well in jail. Your hair is much too soft. I would have fared well in jail, but only because I enjoy jumpsuits and uncomfortable beds. Your mother would have languished in jail, and eventually become the strange woman in the weight room who sings Seals & Croft for no reason. You are like your mother. You are not like me. You must never go to jail.

Besides, the body is not worth sabotaging. The reputation? Now that is a medal that--once tarnished--never achieves its former shine. That is why our feud is one of whispers. It is one of unspoken insinuations. It is one of gossip and rumor and slander and maligned character. You must learn how to say things without saying them. You must learn to besmirch with a slight giggle and a tilt of the head. You must invest in allies while never absolutely trusting them. There is no trust in a feud. When your enemy arrives for tea, you must know that you have set a foundation of social collapse and still chit chat with them about the weather and the new bistro that opened on the thoroughfare.

This will all feel immoral. Morality is not your concern. If there is a God, that God will not damn you simply because you said a few nasty things about someone who deserved it. Why do they deserve it? That is a mystery. Nobody appreciates a mystery more than the Lord. There. You see? It all comes back around. This feud is divine right. It is predestination. It is a holy devotion. Only serve two sugar cubes. I nearly forgot that part.

When your great-great grandmother began the feud, she set the rules. This was not an authoritarian maneuver. In fact, the other side was present and contributed to the guidelines. Two women in their later years sat down and discussed how they would proceed to destroy each other. It would not be done the way men would do it. There would be no shouting, no violence, and very little physicality. No noise. No bombs. 

This would be a proper feud.

You are here to learn the etiquette. Be warned, however. The etiquette must never confuse you. You have a goal. You have a motive. You are meant to eradicate the other side. This person who looks like you, but is not you. This person who is able to make fascinating conversation while she stirs the sugar cubes in her oolong. This woman who you have known your entire life may know more about you than anyone who claims to love you dearly.

None of that matters.

The intimacy within the relationship is present, because this person has studied you the same way their mother studied your mother. You are fifteen now. What you thought was a friendship just like any other friendship is nothing of the sort. We only allowed you to befriend your counterpart in the hopes that you would learn as much as you could and use that information as soon as the time came to engage in polite warfare.

You will not begin hosting tea right away. That comes later. You may have noticed that your mother only began hosting tea a year or two ago. That was because my bete noire had passed away suddenly after years of destruction between the two of us. I was devastated to see her go. My life had been devoted to tormenting her. Now that she’s gone, I drift aimlessly through life. I no longer drink tea. I drink bourbon, and I drink it alone.

I have no idea what began all this. I was your age when my mother explained it to me, and she was the same age when her mother explained it to her. If I had to guess, I would assume it was an unkind word that began the combat. Perhaps a slight at a party. A forgotten invitation. I would be surprised if a man was involved. Women in our family have never bitten their lip over a man, let alone began a century-long feud over one.

Some would interrogate the origin of the malice in the hopes of concluding the bad blood, but we have never found a reason to bring it to an end. If nothing else, it gives us activities. Something to do. A passion. You are being handed a sacred calling.

One day your opposite will die the way mine did. It will shatter you. I have no advice for what to do after that. There is no etiquette for grief. Peculiar grief is even more challenging. You must carry on, but I’m not sure why. Perhaps it’s only to sit with your granddaughter and explain this etiquette to her. A legacy seems firm, but it is as fragile as a child’s innocence. You must pass it on carefully. You must be sure to show your granddaughter how to preserve the china. You must show her how to open the door and greet the person who wishes only to exterminate you. You must show her how to smile without giving away her teeth. The teeth show the poison or lack thereof. Never give that away.

You are a woman now and you must behave as one. At some point, you may choose to forgive. That is your decision to make. The cause of all this has long been forgotten, but the rules?

Never.

You must never forget how long it takes to prepare the tea.

July 01, 2022 17:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

Riel Rosehill
19:31 Jul 05, 2022

You've got a great title here - I expected it to be a fun read, and it was! Really good POV too, with the first-second person combo. My favourite lines were: "While you’re in there, check your teeth to be sure you haven’t been poisoned as it shows up first in the enamel. If you’ve been poisoned, excuse yourself and return home to rest." LOL. I absolutely love this!

Reply

Story Time
20:11 Jul 05, 2022

Thank you, Riel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aesha Amin
19:22 Jul 02, 2022

This story reminds me of books written in the 19th century (by Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, and so on) in the best way possible. I love the way you've written a story through instructions on proper (hosting/ feuding) etiquette. It's such a unique idea for a story. Thank you for sharing!

Reply

Story Time
21:17 Jul 02, 2022

Thank you so much for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
22:19 Jul 01, 2022

An enjoyable story, with a good voice for the narrator. Feuding without knowing why, but with intricate rules to follow, seems like a good metaphor for most of what humans do. The idea that these women derive meaning from these fueds is also insightful, a kind of twist on "the medium is the message."

Reply

Story Time
23:50 Jul 01, 2022

Thank you, Michal!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeannette Miller
14:56 Jul 28, 2022

This was super fun to read. I felt like I was reading my mission orientation and I was down to do it. Not everyone can pull this off so cool. :) Traditions come in many forms and this one is steeped in it. Love it!

Reply

Story Time
16:18 Jul 28, 2022

Thank you, Jeannette!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
05:32 Jul 14, 2022

As someone who is this level of petty, I felt seen. I thank you for that, though you've now gained an enemy. In all seriousness, I found this whole story hilarious, and I will now quote it as often as I can in conversation.

Reply

Story Time
16:52 Jul 14, 2022

Haha thank you so much, Jessica.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
BA Eubank
15:00 Jul 12, 2022

Great story. I like all the etiquette needed to keep this feud going. Such detail.

Reply

Story Time
16:11 Jul 12, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Da S
10:23 Jul 10, 2022

This is the kind of stuff you'd analyse in a literature exam.

Reply

Story Time
16:26 Jul 11, 2022

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
00:03 Jul 08, 2022

The tone in this story has a light, lilting feel, but is also laced with warning and suspicion. So good. I love the subtle humor woven throughout, with so many strong stand alone sentences. “ Use the washroom once and only once.” “You must show her how to open the door and greet the person who wishes only to exterminate you.” Really enjoyed this story!

Reply

Story Time
00:13 Jul 08, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ace Quinnton
18:07 Jul 01, 2022

You've got to examine a person thoroughly during the years you spend with them. The secrets you earn from patience, the tears shed for it, makes the reward seem much sweeter than the bitter truth you were given before. I should give this advice to my cousin, she'll become the Master of it, using the proper feud to her will, having the rules in her everyday life. She will overcome the petty rivalries. Great story Kevin.

Reply

Story Time
19:59 Jul 01, 2022

Thank you, Ace.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Doctor Vmavoodo
18:31 Jan 27, 2023

HE GOT ME BACK MY EX WITH REUNION LOVE SPELL.. Whatsapp at +905431085760. Hello every one I want to testify of what a spell caster has done for me, I was in a relationship for two years happy with my partner few months to our wedding he left me and went after another woman he never came back home again, I cry all day looking for help I have contacted so many spell caster but no result one day I was on the internet when i came across a testimony on how DR Jamiu helped some one to get back his lover so i gave a try and it work out for me am s...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Doctor Vmavoodo
18:31 Jan 27, 2023

HE GOT ME BACK MY EX WITH REUNION LOVE SPELL.. Whatsapp at +905431085760. Hello every one I want to testify of what a spell caster has done for me, I was in a relationship for two years happy with my partner few months to our wedding he left me and went after another woman he never came back home again, I cry all day looking for help I have contacted so many spell caster but no result one day I was on the internet when i came across a testimony on how DR Jamiu helped some one to get back his lover so i gave a try and it work out for me am s...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Doctor Vmavoodo
18:31 Jan 27, 2023

HE GOT ME BACK MY EX WITH REUNION LOVE SPELL.. Whatsapp at +905431085760. Hello every one I want to testify of what a spell caster has done for me, I was in a relationship for two years happy with my partner few months to our wedding he left me and went after another woman he never came back home again, I cry all day looking for help I have contacted so many spell caster but no result one day I was on the internet when i came across a testimony on how DR Jamiu helped some one to get back his lover so i gave a try and it work out for me am s...

Reply

Show 0 replies
David Sarah
10:25 Jan 17, 2023

I am David Sarah, Before I was scammed, I thought those who fell for them were fools, but when I lost $40k in a binary options scam, I didn't even know it had happened until weeks later. The site and services I used seemed so genuine, and everything felt legit, but when they stopped answering my emails and messages, that's when I knew something was up. I was going to accept defeat until a friend advised me to contact Pro Wizard Gilbert Recovery Service of which I did, they were incredibly helpful and worked hard to get all my money back. I'd...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jim Powell
12:22 Dec 30, 2022

BRINGING BACK MY HAPPINESS, ALL THANKS TO DR SAKOMO FOR HIS GREAT AND WONDERFUL SPELL My name is Jim Powell . I do not know how to thank GREAT SAKOMO for bringing happiness back to my family. I do really wanna tell the whole world that there is a spell caster called Dr. Sakomo that is so real and genuine. I never believed in any of these things but when i lose my wife for 4 years, i required help until i found a great spell caster, and he cast a love spell for me, and he assured me that I will get my wife back in just 48hours but i was in ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jim Powell
12:21 Dec 30, 2022

BRINGING BACK MY HAPPINESS, ALL THANKS TO DR SAKOMO FOR HIS GREAT AND WONDERFUL SPELL My name is Jim Powell . I do not know how to thank GREAT SAKOMO for bringing happiness back to my family. I do really wanna tell the whole world that there is a spell caster called Dr. Sakomo that is so real and genuine. I never believed in any of these things but when i lose my wife for 4 years, i required help until i found a great spell caster, and he cast a love spell for me, and he assured me that I will get my wife back in just 48hours but i was in ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nichelle Harris
17:52 Dec 22, 2022

I was totally broken when the love of my life left me it was so hard for me and I almost gave up if not for a friend who directed me to a very good and powerful man called Dr BOB who helped me bring back the love of my life and now he treat me with so much love and care. I do not know what problems you are passing through but with what he did for me I know he can help you too. All thanks to DR BOB. TEXT/CALL HIM:+2349153314547 EMAIL: foreverspellcast49@gmail.com

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stephanie Jane
04:10 Nov 21, 2022

I was able to regain my husband with the help of Dr BOB  love spell after some hot chick turned his head against me and totally stoped giving me attentions. Dr. BOB saved my home with his powers and that's why I'm putting this here for anyone that's going through the same. Plus do not be fooled by so many testimonies here because there is no one like Dr BOB love spell. you can contact him through his email address; t999219@gmail.com  or whatsapp him on +2349153314547.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Daniella Nelson
21:13 Nov 03, 2022

Save Your Marriage from divorce today. Get Your Ex lover Back! Dr Kadiri have helped thousands of women/Men to get their Ex-lover back. I'm Daniella my husband Kelvin left me in June 19th and took away my daughter with him and he have an affairs with her ex-girl friend ....I was so stressed I have no job he left me in a house where he was paying a house rent....when I call him he never picks up my call or reply back my message on the other line he have blocked me and I feel that there's an evil spirit working on him and my marriage. I wante...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stephanie Jane
23:10 Oct 12, 2022

I was able to regain my husband with the help of Dr BOB  love spell after some hot chick turned his head against me and totally stoped giving me attentions. Dr. BOB saved my home with his powers and that's why I'm putting this here for anyone that's going through the same. Plus do not be fooled by so many testimonies here because there is no one like Dr BOB love spell. you can contact him through his email address; t999219@gmail.com  or whatsapp him on +1 (614) 927-8138 / call him :+2349153314547. visit his website:https://drbobsupernaturals...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stephanie Jane
23:10 Oct 12, 2022

I was able to regain my husband with the help of Dr BOB  love spell after some hot chick turned his head against me and totally stoped giving me attentions. Dr. BOB saved my home with his powers and that's why I'm putting this here for anyone that's going through the same. Plus do not be fooled by so many testimonies here because there is no one like Dr BOB love spell. you can contact him through his email address; t999219@gmail.com  or whatsapp him on +1 (614) 927-8138 / call him :+2349153314547. visit his website:https://drbobsupernaturals...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.