0 comments

American Contemporary Inspirational

Eric suddenly turned pale upon checking the mail box and reading the mail sent from fast flash movie industry. 

"Another dead end" he said. "Come Jackie" calling unto his dog as he served it some dog food. He watched as the dog eat the food hastly. He remembered how he went to the pet store to get the dog as a birthday present for himself and how his mom saw it as a waste of money and of course extra mouth to feed. But he didn't mind, he just wanted an animal companion, one he can say silly things to, pouring out his feelings without being judged. 

He smiled as he watched Jackie play with its food. 

"Arrgh... What is wrong with these people? " his mom could hear him swearing straight from the kitchen. 

"is everything alright sweetheart? " "everything is perfect mom", he replied. 

"hmm... Another rejection? " he didn't answer. "not to worry, everything is going be fine" said his mom. 

"how long will it take" he said irritated as he dashed off to his room to get ready for the new day. 

His mom was really worried about him. She couldn't think of how to pacifier her poor baby. 

"Good morning Martha!"

Looking towards the door, she saw Peter standing right before her. 

"Good morning Peter" she replied "how are you doing this morning" 

"very well Martha and how is Eric?" Peter asked. 

"oh he is fine. He's just been a little uptight lately"

"hmm.. Everything is gonna be alright"

"oh pardon my manners, please have a seat."

"thank you" he obliged.

"mom I am going to the grocery store, I gotta pick up some stuff". Said Eric as he dashed towards the front door. 

He hopped on his bike and zoomed off of sight.  

"hmm", Martha signed. She knew her son wasn't fine and so she has to do something fast about it. Talking with Peter about it, they both came up with an idea to let Eric go on a road trip. That way, he would be able to clear his head and relax a bit from all the hassle and bussle of searching for a job. 

When Eric came back later in the evening, he found his mom in the kitchen already making dinner.

"hey mom, I am home" He said. 

"Welcome sweetie" she said. "dinner will be ready soon so go freshen up" she added. 

"Alright mom" "hey buddy how did you do today" Eric said rubbing the back of Jackie. 

About 15minutes later, he was done bathing, and headed down stairs to the dining table to have his dinner. 

"how did today go?" Martha asked

"great" he replied. 

"good to know" she smiled. 

"you know, Peter was around today and I believe you didn't pay much attention to his presence as you dashed out of the house" she said. 

"Okaaaaay..." He stressed, waiting in anticipation to what she would say next. 

"he suggested that you should go on a road trip as that will help reduce your stress a bit." she continued, "at first I thought it was a bad idea but the on a second thought I realized that road trip will be good for you."

"mom, are you being serious right now?" he asked surprisingly. 

"yes sweetie, I am and I want to to start preparing because you will be leaving this weekend. I have arranged the bus ticket already " she said. 

"mom!" "what are you saying?" he asked, this time looking really confused. 

"I am saying that you will be going on a road trip to Florida this weekend " she replied, "come on son, do it for me at least if not for anything" she added. 

"oh great, now I'm toast" he exclaimed. 

"Don't worry dear, I promise it will be fun" Said Martha. 

"but I don't want fun mom, I don't want to go... I mean how long is the trip gonna last for?" He asked. 

"Two weeks" she said. 

"What? Two weeks? Mom! No, no, no. I can't just leave for Two weeks I mean who is going to stay with you and Jackie?" He asked looking so worried. 

"I can take care of myself you know. We will manage" she added "besides, Peter will always come around so don't worry about me. Now eat your food before it gets too cold".

"thanks mom, for everything" he said. 

"and l Iove you too" Said Martha, laughing really hard. 

That night Eric could not sleep. He thought about all his mom discussed with him. It felt really great and at a point it made him really excited that he thought maybe he would probably get an opportunity there. 

Fast forward to the weekend, Eric woke up pretty early to pack his stuff and make it in time for the bus. He checked himself to make sure nothing was missing -" tooth brush, check. Shoes, check. Underwears, check." As he did this thorough check his mom was watching by the door. Knowing her son so well she know that checking won't end until he is satisfied so she had to do something. 

"alright, enough with the checking, you have done that for a thousand times now. It's time to have your bath." She said. 

"but mom I just have to make sure everything is OK... " he defended. 

"yes, yes, everything is fine just as it is. Just go, go or you will miss the bus" she said. 

"Alright mom"

About 30minutes later, Eric was all dressed up ready for the trip. Seeing him in that tee-shirt and Jean made Martha shed a tear. "you look just like your father " she said. 

"and you look beautiful," he said teasingly. 

"just get going before you miss the bus" she said as they hugged to say bye-bye. 

Eric took his small luggage and left the house. He boarded a taxi that took him to the bus station. On getting there, he submitted his ticket and was directed to the bus going to Florida. He entered to the bus kept his bag and sat down comfortably waiting for the bus to get filled. Looking round he could see a lot of people were already seated. A couple was sitting right behind him, a woman and her child were both seated directly opposite him and some many others he couldn't make sense of. 

Done scrutinizing the bus, he decided to just relax his head on the chair, waiting for the bus to move. The last three space were finally filled and the driver set out to drive.  

"finally" he said. 

The trip to Florida was a long one. They had many stops and check points but it was jolly as there were entertainers who were also traveling in the bus. They finally got to Florida quite late and on getting down, Eric's uncle was already waiting for him with his truck. 

"Good evening uncle Mike" He greeted. 

"good evening, how was the journey?" unclet's Mike asked. 

"it was good" he said. 

"alright let's get you home so you can freshen up. You look really tired" Uncle Mike added. 

"you bet I am" Eric replied. 

As they drove home, Uncle Mike talked about so many things, trying to put the boy in the mood to have a good conversation but it seems it wasn't really working and so he kept quiet. The rest of the drive to uncle Mike's house was a quiet one. As they got nearer, Uncle Mike noticed that Eric was already fast asleep. This made him chuckled.

The next morning, Eric woke up really refreshed in the room he was given to occupy. He had his breakfast his uncle made as he read the note he left on the dinning table for him. "off to work, make yourself at home, see you later". The note read. 

Eric decided to take a walk around the neighborhood. Uncle Mike later came back from the office past afternoon looking so exhausted. 

"welcome uncle" Eric greeted. 

"yeah, thank buddy. How did you do today" Uncle Mike asked. 

"great" he said. 

Everyday Uncle Mike would come home pretty exhausted and still stay up at night to do some office work. This got Eric really worried as he didn't know what could make his uncle so engrossed with his job. So one evening when Uncle Mike came home, he went to his room to freshen up, had his dinner and dashed straight to his working table. Eric joined him minutes later to enquire what has been occupying him since he came into Florida. 

"Hey uncle" he called 

"yes!" Uncle Mike answered. 

"I noticed that you have been so focused with work lately and it's taking a big toll on you. What seem to be the problem?" he asked. 

"well my company is having a tedious time trying to create a new software that could serve and bring in more profit. The person in charge died and the project is supposed to be due in a few days so all hands are on deck to make sure this works. And also we are on the verge of loosing our partners so we have to do something to retain them." Uncle Mike explained. 

"hmm, can I help?" he asked

"what? Of course not... I mean what do you know about programming." Uncle Mike said laughing. 

"you would be surprised" he said. 

"listen Eric, this isn't some child's play. In fact it's a matter of life and death" Uncle Mike said. 

"I know uncle, and I want to help" he said. 

"OK, if you insist". Eric took over the work on the laptop, looked over all the analysis and got to work immediately. He worked on the project for over an hour then called his uncle to come look at it. On seeing it, his uncle was impressed and the next morning he took it back to the office. He came back later in the day beaming with smiles. 

"hey uncle you look so happy today. How did your presentation go?" he asked.

"great Eric and I got good news for you." Uncle Mike said. 

"really? What is it?" he asked. 

"Eric you have just been hired." 

"what...what do you mean hired?" he asked. 

The company decided to hire you after my presentation and how the brain behind the success was" "congratulations Eric, you are the new software developer of viksdigitals" Uncle Mike added. 

Without wasting much time Eric went in to call Martha. 

"hello mom, I got a job, I have a job mom?" he said excitedly. 

"what? Oh my God, how did it happen?" Martha asked. 

"I don't know mom but I am just so happy...i really wish you were here mom".

"don't worry sweetie, I am taking the first bus tomorrow morning, coming straight to you".

"alright mom. I love you."

"love you too baby" (phone hangs). 

Eric could not hold his excitement. He knew this was a new beginning for him and he is going to make sure it was worthwhile.

Martha came in the next morning as she said but she didn't meet Eric home as he has gone to the office for briefing. He came back later in the day with Uncle Mike. Martha had already made dinner. They both went to their rooms to freshen up, came back to join Martha on the table for dinner. Uncle Mike made a toast on behalf of the new employee and they all ate happily. 

December 17, 2020 11:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.