0 comments

Thriller Fiction Sad

How do I say this story? Ah, yes ( chuckles) where have I seen this? Why can't I place my finger on it? It happened exactly like this. It is exactly like this that I die...I recall now. But was it a dream? Or perhaps it was vision. 

"...and the forsaken shall be burned to death." That is what the banner reads, I know I've seen it somewhere… I never listened to anyone's advice. I was ruthless in my own way now I see the consequences. This is how my day started. Let me tell you about it, listen carefully so you may learn.

"Harris, there is nothing to eat. The children are sick!" Hilary came to me nagging just like every other day since I lost my job. 

"Woman! I have no money. It's not my fault I got fired!" And with that I stormed out of the house to Larry's garage.

"What's the matter bud?" Larry asked while fixing a truck brought in by one of his customers. Larry is an engineer. 

"I'm sorry Larry," (sigh) you got a little money? "I promise you I'll pay as soon as I come back from my brother's place." 

He looked at me taking a pause from what he was doing on the engine of the car then he finally spoke: "I don't know Harris, I got bills to pay and a family too." 

I expected it. It's been a week now and he's been the one assisting me. The office was assured to pay off what they owed but nothing had come. "I'm sorry man. I really wish I could help in some way. "

"Nah-- it's alright. You've really done a lot, trust me." I said; stood up from the tire stack I sat and said: "Later. I've got to go."

"Alright. You stay well."

When I returned home my wife was not home nor kids. I knew she took them to her sister's place to eat something. I walked to the bed and crashed on it; falling with my back on the bed before I slept or entered into the trance. 

There was noise everywhere, from every angle, my vision was red, it was bloody then I saw the banner written on it: "and the forsaken shall be burned to death." I started hearing someone call my name but I wasn't so clear. It was a woman she was calling me to wake-up , wake-up, wake-up! And with that I finally opened my eyes.

My wife was standing in front of me. "We're back. Did you find money?" I just sat staring at her, "Harris!"

"What?!" I yelled.

"Did you find money for food?" She said, stretching her right arm forward with an open palm.

"No, Larry said he won't be able to give me."

I hated my wife, it was because of her I lost my job. All she ever cared about was money, if she hadn't advised me to steal from the company I wouldn't be this beggar I am today.

"All you do is work and work for your boss and that company," she said, "someday, they'll sack you and you'll have nothing left."

"What can I do?" I asked her, feeling tired of her constant complaining.

"Steal. Steal you're in the account department. You'll steal and erase it."

I could do anything, anything to stop hearing her talk. I was tired of being married, I was tired of the constant crying children, I was tired of all the feeding more than one mouth, I was tired of it all. So I did as she said, but got caught. I was even taken to jail but was later released after a month.

"How are we going to survive?" She asked me as she bent to sit next to me on the bed.

I stood up from the bed as she sat on it. "I'm going to my brother's place, maybe he can help me." I grabbed my jacket then made my way downstairs then out of the house. As I made my way to the bus station all I thought about was what I saw and heard when I was in bed while asleep: the sign poster, the noises, the redness, the draining of my strength. 

When we reached my bus stop I alighted the bus.

"Just a little distance and I'll be at Tony's." I said to myself as I walked on the side I had dropped getting ready to cross the road to the side my brother's house is. 

"Harris!" My brother exclaimed and hugged me when I got to his place. I hadn't told him I was coming over, so it was a surprise. My brother had promised me a new job in his store next week Monday, but I was desperately in need of money so I had to come meet me to lend me some money for now and I was going to pay him when my payday came.

"Here," He said, handing me some money, "it's not much but, I know you need it."

"Thank you brother." I said hugging him and leaving his place. It was then everything I had dreamt of started to come to place; the flock of birds that flew by, the man in red that walked past me in the dream. I started to become scared. As I walked it was as though the eyes of everyone were on me, I started picking my pace, Tony had told me to be careful when I left his house because his neighbourhood is quite dangerous. I saw two men wearing hoods walking towards me. I decided to cross to the otherside, they also crossed. I wanted to run when they caught me and pushed me against the wall.

"Why are you trying to run old man?" One of them asked.

"Listen I have a family I gotta feed." I said while my hands were up.

"Just give us what you have and go free." The other said pointing a knife at me.

"No!" I yelled and pushed the one that pinned me down, as I ran I heard the sound of a gunshot and a pain in my back. My pace began to reduce and I slowly dropped to the floor.

The blood, I see it now. The redness, I see it now. 

I turn to lay on my back when I say the poster: "...and the forsaken shall be burned to death." Then came the noises, the sirens, the cries, the yells, the light---then the darkness. 

October 06, 2020 18:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.