KNOCKS ON A WINDOW

Submitted into Contest #97 in response to: Start your story with an unexpected knock on a window.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

There was a knock on my window and I checked the time. It was well past midnight. I ignored the knock assuming it was due to some nocturnal beast colliding with the window while going after prey. I had been seated absorbed in a desi thriller and I went back to it. I read: ‘It was past midnight when John was walking towards the metro station. He had decided to catch the last train of the day. He now saw an ambulance speeding past, and knowing he still had 20 minutes walked along slowly. John saw the ambulance park near the metro station for a moment and then go along. It probably had no patient as the signal had been silenced. Reaching the station John was about to climb the stairs when he spotted a suitcase near him. As he was wondering about what to do, a bearded man came and said “I’ll help you to carry the suitcase.”

He lifted it even as John was saying it wasn’t his. Now another man with a big moustache joined and beard said “This man says the suitcase isn’t his. See the blood oozing from it. We’ve to report to the police.”

He took out his phone and dialled.

John said “The last train is due in about five minutes. Let me go,”

Moustache said “You can’t abandon this suitcase and go. Wait till the police arrive.”

A police patrol car now approached sounding a siren.’

I heard another knock on my window and putting the book away took out the heavy spanner I had kept for defence if it came to that. I wondered about who could be knocking at this hour. Would someone who wanted to rob use niceties like knocking on  my window?

I was alone in the house as my wife had gone to be with her parents. I could have perhaps sought suggestions from her about what to do. Then I thought of calling Paul next door for help. I took out my phone but then put it away: Paul was a man of peace and wouldn’t like to face possible conflict situations. What about Mathen in the house behind ours I asked myself. He might come but he wasn’t the type who would scale the wall to jump into my house. He would walk round to come to my place –  a circuitous route. I decided not to call him also.

Finally after having just read about a police prowl car, I thought why not call the police? I remembered how my neighbour had called once called the police in the middle of the night. He had seen two masked men trying to break open the locks to the shop next door. The police came, but by then the thieves had disappeared.  He told himself there were no law and order problems here. It was merely someone knocking but why on the window? I hesitated to call the police.

I merely stood wondering what to do next. The knocking continued. I asked myself why am I such a coward? Should I not go and face whoever was knocking? I knew the window had solid steel bars to prevent possible unauthorised entry but the glass shutter was translucent. Could I see who was knocking? I picked up the solid, heavy spanner and went towards the window. I opened the glass shutter noiselessly and peeped out. I took out my torch and in its beam looked around. Nobody around! The knocking had stopped.  I came back from the window when the knocking started again. I now suspected a ghost infestation and grew really scared. I immediately called the police. In about 10 minutes the prowl car was at my door. I opened the front door when a burly bearded policeman in uniform carrying a swagger stick walked in saying “I’m Inspector Baig answering your call”

 I whispered “Please come in.”

I led him upstairs and he heard the sound of knocking on the window.

He said “I would like to go out and see but it’s totally dark. Let me go to your terrace and investigate.”

I showed him the way and in a few minutes Baig was back dragging a man by the scruff of the neck. Baig said “This is the fellow who was seated on the ledge of your terrace knocking on your window below with a stick. He wouldn’t answer my questions and I had to punch him into even saying his name was Ravi.”

I was shocked to see the man. I said “Inspector, Ravi is my wife’s distant kin. Leave him here. I’ll take care of the matter.”

Baig said “Nothing doing. This fellow didn’t even answer simple questions. I’ve a right to know why he was up your terrace and seated there knocking at your window with a stick.”

I said “Ravi is a qualified engineer but hasn’t stuck to a job due to cranky behaviour. He has been diagnosed as suffering from schizophrenia. He has bouts of violence. He must have seen the light from my window and known I was awake in the room. He has been in my house a few times.”

“He tried to assault me but I restrained him. I searched him for hidden weapons but only found this letter addressed to police.”

I read the letter. The thrust was in these lines: He had named me and said “This fellow stole the woman I was to marry and has ruined my life. I am committing suicide by jumping off his terrace and the police should punish him.”

Baig said “A case of a fellow who has to be in a lunatic asylum.”

I again said “This is a family matter.”

“No. It is a police matter. I’ll seize this fellow and lodge him in the lunatic asylum. Before that I’ll thrash him.”

I pleaded with Baig and said “Leave it to me. I’ll settle it.”

Baig was thoughtful for a moment and said “This fellow had the gumption to try and assault me. He needs to be disciplined.  Alright you put him in the asylum.” He paused and said “You’ve to sign in my ledger. I’ll bring it.”

He went out and came back with a ledger and some forms which I signed. Before leaving Baig said “Ask the asylum fellows not to release lunatics like these.”

I nodded. I knew that Ravi had been promised Hema’s hand in marriage but when he was diagnosed with the psychiatric illness, the proposal was shelved. I had been chosen instead.

I turned to Ravi and said “You scared me.”

He asked “Where is Hema?”

I told him when his eyes turned red and he started weeping. I had a feeling he could turn violent and assault me and was ready to counter him but he opened the door and walked out of my house. I went to sleep.

END

June 07, 2021 07:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.