0 comments

Historical Fiction Drama

1120 words

Rated PG: fear



That knock. Why are they hitting their knuckles against my door so aggressively? My body reacts before I know what's happening. I spin, and feel my hands being turned into wings-- they flap quickly. I'm almost at the basement stairs before I stop. Muscle memory, that's all. I moved to this time frame specifically so I wouldn't have to deal with riots and burnings. Exhausted from my brief flight, I spin again. My feet grow bigger. By ears move and reform. My teeth poke out of my mouth. My sweatpants still have that pizza stain on them. I lean against the basement door. I'm panting. I can hear my heartbeat. Even worse, I can hear Lolita. "Alexandra!" Her deep voice calls.

I imagine her round face, with strands of hair falling from her two ponytails. "Alexandra! Are you alright?"

I flick my wrist. The little thingy turns on with a beep. I bought it because it has my name, but it has other uses too. "Alexa, please play my 'calming down' playlist. Thank you."

The sound of banat slows my pulse. I slick back my sweaty hair and take a few deep breaths. I'll be alright. I just need a minute. Then I'll answer Lolita. This is just something you need to wait out.

[]

The last rays of sun mercifully disappear behind townhouses. I throw off my oversized hat. It spins around and shrinks, flying obediently into my skirt pocket. I don't know why I'm doing this; but if it'll get Lolita off my back, it's worth a shot. I stop in front of the address on the slip of paper. 2564 magnolia drive. It's a small bungalow with brick walls and an ivy crawling up the sides. Modern child toys lie on the front lawn. You'd think this was a regular home, if it weren't for the big sign stuck in the grass. Dr.Balanescu, trauma specialist. 120-445-6745.

I walk up the concrete front steps. Gingerly, I press the button next to the door. A buzz can be heard from within. After a few shuffling sounds, the door swings open. A man with red hair and thick sideburns is on the other side. He adjusts his orange glasses and gets a better look at me. "You are...Lolita's friend?"

He says. I nod, staying silent as he lets me inside. The front room has rain boots of all sizes strewn around. Jackets are messily hung on hooks. Children's drawings are stuck to the wall. Dr. Balanescu leads me deeper into the house. We passed the living room, where four children of various ages are watching an old show Lolita showed me. I hated it. Dr. Balanescu clears his throat. "Iubirile mele, please remember to finish your homework."

The kids don't look up. Balanescu beckons me. "This way."

We make it to a brown door that Balanescu swings open. There are two couches across from each other, and a coffee table in between with a notepad on it in the corner. There's a coffee pot that's heating up on a dresser, and a few mugs are waiting to be filled. I slowly walk over to one couch. "Should I sit down?"

Dr. Balanescu nods. I seat myself and stare at the paintings of trees and flowers. I like the one of the mountain. The snowy peak is so enticing. Dr.B. smiles. "I like it too. Lolita gave it to me to decorate my office."

I no longer like it. Dr.B. grabs his notepad and straightens his glasses. "Alexandra, correct?"

I give a half-grin. "Yes."

'Why do you think Lolita wanted you to come here?"

I shrug. "She keeps saying I have something called PTSD. She wanted me to come here, and I wanted her to go away. So here I am."

He writes something. "Okay. I'm assuming you don't know what PTSD is?"

"No. What is it?"

"It means post-traumatic stress disorder. Lolita says you're afraid of fire, loud noises, knocking, and even the sun. You refuse to even go outside during the daytime."

"I'm sensitive, that's all."

"Okay. You don't think your behaviour is in any way unnatural? During the one month since you've moved to Oras-Intâmplător, you haven't once seen the sun. Lolita has started calling you the vampire."

I blink. "That's ridiculous. Vampires aren't real."

Dr.B. laughs. "Well, she always had a knack for nicknames."

The coffee pot finishes filling, and thunderous beep sounds. Over and over. It doesn't stop.

Father clutches my waist. He kisses my head and whispers into my ear. "Alerga! Alerga, Alexa! Nu te pot vedea!"

Heavy boots run towards me. Women and men point. They knew it was me. they knew I was at the cliff. They see me. The fire of their torches casts ugly shadows on the trees. I hear the waves crashing against the rocks below. The smell of sap lingers in the air. I get one last glimpse at the man, with brown eyes and bushy eyebrows. I say a silent prayer and jump, not turning into a bat as I approach the water.

"Alexandra! Are you alright?"

I'm curled up in a ball on the couch. My hands are over my ears. Dr. Balanescu is next to me. "Are you okay?" he asks.


I don't respond. I leap off the couch and run out of the room. I don't stop as I pass the children, nor when I stumble over the boots. I hear Dr. Balanescu's voice, but ignore it as I push the door open. I sprint down the steps. Where do I go? If I go home, Lolita will be waiting for me. Home is left. I veer right. As I get farther away, I pass houses. Some have lights turned out and curtains drawn. Others, you can pass and peek inside, where a family is reading or watching TV. One front yard is filled with intoxicated men. They whistle at me as I speed past them. I crook a finger, sending them tumbling backwards. Once No one can see me, I spin. I feel the weights being lifted off of me as I go higher and higher. I move my wings as fast as I can, clumsily moving upwards. A few stars dot the darkness. They sparkle and shine down on me. Their mother, the moon, follows me as I go. I screech at her. Leave me alone, witch. She doesn't listen. Her eyes are glossed with kindness. The bright white looks like the sparkling teeth Andrei had. He would laugh evilly before trying to stab you. I keep going. I’m going to collapse. I don’t care. As long as I’m far away. As long as I can’t get hurt again.






October 30, 2020 20:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.