A person who made a difference

Submitted into Contest #2 in response to: Write a story about someone trying to escape their situation.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Like the light had been stolen from it, the sky was black. Silence consumed the park as the fog drifted past. Suddenly, a roar of footsteps erupted from the earth. One after another my feet crashed to the ground, even though I knew I had to be silent. My breath was faltering, and my limbs were growing tired, but I kept going. I couldn't look back. Not if I wanted to escape. I wove my way through the trees, causing the burnt orange leaves to fly into the air. With a plan finally in mind, I ducked out of view. I sat, hunched over and gasping for breath, listening. Waiting. Had I lost him? It was too much of a risk to peer out into the darkness, so I remained a statue.


Drums paraded through my head, but I could still make out the faint echo of footsteps on concrete. It was him. Like the sea during a storm, the blood surged through my veins. Was he getting closer? I looked around for a way out of the hell I had gotten myself into. The park stretched for miles. The trees shot up out of the ground, causing the roots to spill over the floor. Surely, if I ran, I would trip. I couldn't risk that, not when the stakes were so high. Even though the fog was enveloping me, I could still see the street light. If only I could reach it. There had to be a way.


The footsteps had stopped and were replaced by the creaking of a bench. He was close. Every time I shut my eyes his face haunted my mind, like a vengeful ghost. His piercing blue eyes and shallow laugh that slaughtered all my other thoughts. Abruptly, I was brought back to reality. Like a tiger that was ready to pounce, his voice burst through the silence.

"I know you're here" taunted the deep, raspy voice.


A shiver crept down my spine at the sound of his voice. The breath escaped my body and I was left a hollow shell. I grasped my arms around my legs, hiding my head in between my knees, and cried. Why was this happening to me? I started to regret everything that got me to where I am now, huddled behind a tree, fearing for my life.


"Times running out" croaked the voice of evil.


I tried to let my mind wander, anywhere but where I was now. Sadly, my efforts were lost. Out of the silence crawled the creaking sound of old wood. He was standing up. I heard him sigh, a long, drawn-out sigh. I had to be quick. My eyes darted from left to right, searching desperately for an escape. Nothing.


"Tick Tock, Tick tock" The never-ending echoes of his voice ruptured through my thoughts.


That's when I saw it, a chance for escape. Like it was exhausted, a log lay there, unmoving. I could crawl along behind it and reach the gate unnoticed. Perfect! Unfortunately, with all my plotting I had fallen hostage to my senses and had failed to notice the ominous footsteps making their way across the pavement, getting louder with each step. As I started to creep my way across the floor, careful not to make a sound and unaware that it was too late, it happened. Without warning, a hand swooped in front of me out of nowhere, muffling my screams and dragging me back into the darkness.

August 12, 2019 18:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.