0 comments

General

BILLY DOZER

by Rob Streit



When I signed up to be a dog foster parent, I did so with the stated intention of caring for older senior dogs. But as I would watch the group’s website a dog caught my attention that, little did I know, would change my life dramatically.

I had always loved animals. I’d had pets as a kid and the first few years of adulthood. But life’s travels and work were not conducive to having and caring for a pet of my own. So I would enjoy other’s pets I came to know.  

Now retired, with a nice larger apt. downtown, I got to thinking it might be nice to have a dog appropriate to apt. living as a friend and companion. My best friend has a 6 lb. Papillon I come to love, and he would stay over with me on occasion, but he was not mine. Another friend in my building was involved with a rescue group and suggested I give it a try as a temporary foster, so I had been giving it serious consideration. I had some physical limitations, but after some lumbar surgery, I was on an upswing. But the face of a dog rescued from the woods and hurt from an apparent car hit, caused me to want to help him recover. I swear I could see the look of defeat in his eyes from the unknown trauma he had been through.  

“Billy”, was a mixed breed of Pit Bull and Boxer with a brindle coat, and appr. 3 years old. Along with his injuries, he was quite emaciated and would need surgery in the soon future, after getting a bit better first. Billy’s picture online did not show the extent of his condition, but it was the face that caused me to send them a note of my intent to foster. So when I went to the vet’s office to look at him, seeing him in person reaffirmed my desire to help him in any way I could. After the staff armed us with his necessary medications, we loaded him in the back seat and headed home. It was a good thing I secured him with a seat belt tether for the drive, as he almost instantly wanted to climb between the bucket seats and get upfront with us, even in his compromised condition. That was the first indication I had of how much Billy desired human attention and affection. 

Of course, Billy was nervous in the car ride home. He kept putting his head up front between the bucket seats and whining, so I used one hand to pat his head and calm him down. The effect of that touch had a more positive result than I expected. It seemed like the moment Billy walked into the apt. he felt at home. He appeared to sense he was safe, and there was a warm dry place for him to live. When it became bedtime that night, I allowed him on my bed, and he slept with his head pressed against me the whole night. Over the next two weeks, until Billy was due for amputation of a mangled toe, being neutered and having a broken tooth removed, he and I became very close. 

I soon came to realize that Billy had some training in his past, and how he ended up out in the woods is still a mystery. He had no microchip, no one had claimed him or reported him missing, hence he was put in the custody of our foster group that gets dogs ready for adoption. 

From day one, Billy never soiled in the apt., never messed with anything that wasn’t his and had some leash training. Those very basic worries were what had made me hesitant about having an unknown dog of my own before.  

It was the night before I was to take him in for surgery and I was feeling worried for him. I kept telling myself this is something done for dogs every day, but I was worried about the surgery, and also his healing and recovery afterward. Throughout the day Billy seemed more wanting affection and touch. Do you think he knew something was up tomorrow? I choose to believe pets sense our emotions, and concerns.  


Billy came through the surgery procedures fine, and while he was still coming off the effects of the anesthesia, I helped him walk to the car to go home. He had to wear a special bootie on his foot where the toe was removed. So when we went outside for potty calls, I would put it on to protect his bandaged foot from the rain and snow at the time. I ended up feeling like a nursemaid for him, as I had to dispense his proper medications each day and keep an eye on his injuries. I realized after a short while, how it made me feel useful again and responsible for someone or something other than just myself.  

Ironically, I had started fostering Billy two days after Christmas, unrealized till later he was my Christmas present to myself. It also worked out as I started the process of putting him up for adoption, I decided I couldn’t do that to Billy or myself. So I adopted him permanently.  

Fast forward to now, 4 months later. 

From the time I’d had Billy in my care, I was amazed almost daily of the things about him I came to understand. Of course, there were a couple of issues he needed work on, mainly leash pulling on our walks. But with continued training from me and practice, he now walks loose leash as he should. I consider myself fortunate to be retired and able to devote a lot of time to him, that he so desperately wanted and needed.  

One of the most amazing things I’ve discovered about him is his desire to please me. Not having hired a professional trainer, I’ve been able to train him myself to be a more respectful dog and to slowly help him get over his fears. On our walks downtown where we live, I’ve noticed how he will shy away from the curb when he sees a car in what he considers too close to him. It hurts my heart some when I see this, knowing he still has a fear of cars after being hit by one. 

When he was found in the woods by a walker and her dog, she took him to a local vet hospital because of his injuries. Since he was considered a stray they let the lady who found him give him the name of BILLY. Whatever his name was previously is a mystery and really doesn’t matter as he responds to Billy as though it always has been. As he has healed and gained about 25 lbs in weight it is a heartwarming thing to see him want to play at times. He will tire himself out chasing after a ball, and returning and dropping it at my feet every time.  

Having spent most of my life traveling and working around the country, I always considered myself something of a loner without too many responsibilities. I hadn’t given it much thought as to how I might be depriving myself of empathy until I retired and spent more time in reflection. So it was with reservation I decided to try dog fostering as another means to keep myself busy. How was I to know the very first dog I fostered with the group I became involved with would have such a profound impact on me? Billy has become one of the most loyal, and lovable dogs I’ve ever known. His deep, booming bark gets the attention of all within earshot. I now can see how my life without him was devoid of something I wasn’t even truly aware of.  

To this day Billy still uses his head to give and receive affection. Many times he doesn’t realize he is now a very strong and healthy Pit Bull mix. He will come over to us while we’re sitting and massage us with his huge PitBull head. I can’t help but love him more when he does this. And that is how he affectionately got the nickname, Dozer.  


                                                            The End




 





May 14, 2020 01:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.