On a Midnight Clear

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Set your story in a Gothic manor house.... view prompt

0 comments

American Christian Christmas

It was December and The Mitchell family was almost out in the cold . Rent was do and tummies were empty, it was dinnertime . Chuck , Mr. Mitchell had to make an announcement to his family.

His job was laying off workers and he may be one of them. Mrs. Mitchell told him not to worry that something good will happen instead just wait and see. Mr. Mitchell smiles and said yes Hellen to his wife.

Morning drew near and Chuck was worried as he got ready for work. His hair line already reseeding and chuck only being 39 smiled in the mirror as he combed his hair, it may get better. I'm a spring pup in another man's body. I look the same only now better with age, ugh. Heading toward the living room he grabbed his jacket and waltzed to the door stopping for a moment to give Hellen a kiss good-bye and start the day.

As Chuck entered the office he headed to the men's room for a wash of his face and hands due to sweating up a storm from worry about losing his job. Looking in the mirror while washing his hands Chuck says to himself I'm not over weight and I dress nice, I'm polite and have an okay since of humor. Face it I'm chicken , but taking a deep breath whispers here I go.

Approaching Mr. Thomas ( Larry) The big boss calls both men into the newspapers office. Mr. Crimwell The big boss shakes Larry's hand and says sorry Larry but today I have to reduce the budget and you were hired only six months ago. Oh that's the breaks says Larry. Mr. Crimwell Told Larry he was a wonderful pleasure to work with and he would recommend him to anybody who was lucky enough to get him. Chuck shaking in his shoes ,sweating and could almost imagine hitting the floor on his knees. Chuck, said Mr. Crimwell we've had some laughs I'm sorry to tell you there will be no Christmas bonuses this year now get to work.

Chuck smiles with relief. He was very excited he got to stay on at his job. Chuck was a reporter for the Globe Newspaper.

Chuck reached his desk when Mr. Crimwell called him back to the office. Chuck I want you to write a story on Tuner Manor.

The wreck broken down Manor at the end of Church St. here in town. You have the kind of unbias point of view that could do her justice from her wicked past. No Problem Chuck replies, he drove up to Turner Manor. He thought to himself I wonder if it's true you can hear screams at night and ghostly sounds here. The Manor once White in color stood now shades of grey and black and green mold. The pillars still stood fixed to the steps with the bottom step broke. Chuck would start on the story in the morning.

When Chuck got home he told his wife and kids all about his work writing assignment. Good shouted Laura who's only 4 can we eat the paint from the manor. Gross said Helen your father said it was moldy and besides you don't eat paint. But mommy you make Jello mold to eat. Honey her mom told her this is not the same thing. The Mitchells were blessed with three kids Timmy 11, Martha 9 and Laura 4.

As the morning came about Chuck started out for his assignment. As he approached the manor he could hear dogs howling, oh good, this is too fun, I can feel the goosebumps now.

First the dogs howl then you hear screams, then you see blood and I hope it's not mine. Chuck was going to interview a couple of people shaking as they walked down the street past the manor. Sir, Mam may I have a moment of your time please. Could you tell me a little history about the manor. The man Fred and Cindy his wife were more than happy to talk. Fred told him Kids go miss when they play there we've heard. The screams are kids. Chuck sure wasn't going to bring his family now.

Chuck got back to work and told his boss about the couple and what they said. We have to save our children said Mr. Crimwell

Oh yes Chuck agreed. Lets take the police to that manor and see what's going on.

The police met Chuck and Mr. Crimwell at the manor. You know we've rarely been called here the police said. People felt stupid I would imagine said Chuck, after all reporting a haunted house isn't a regular routine. They all approached the front doors and went inside. In the entry was High back chairs with candlestick and a chandler .Cobwebs everywhere. They had to push them out of the way to see. A huge living room and dinning area, a big kitchen. Hey what are they asking for this manor said Chuck. Nothing said a police officer, it was abandoned. Just back taxes.

I wonder why no one ever bought it. Well I mean howling dogs and screaming kids I see why. As they entered the bedroom downstairs

they could see a fort had been made and a record player .Chuck played the record, No joke howling dogs and screaming kids came from the record. out of the closed came Old Mr. Duddly can a guy have some fun. I haven't had the chance to fix the place up.

The town meeting the manor was brought up and the town agreed to fix the manor if Mr. Duddly would play Santa Clause from now on not Halloween.

The moral from the story is Making people happy never hurt anyone, being mean and frightening scares people away and starts gossip. When the truth was known the people know how to make an old man happy and people were happy. The mean Mr. Duddly put Chuck in his will so Chuck has a house someday paid for. Oh by the was Chuck had a fundraised to pay it's back taxes for Mr. Duddly.

October 16, 2020 23:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.