0 comments

General

Sara thanked her driver and got out to enter the building where she worked. She briskly stepped into the building and in the elevator zooming up seven floors, thinking about what reply she would get. 

Ten minutes later, Kesaria, her assistant handed her coffee which she accidentally dropped while trying to catch, spilling it over her desk.

"Oops." She gave Kesaria a lopsided smile and pushed her keypad and mouse to a corner to avoid them getting spoilt. Luckily the part of the desk with the things was relatively not affected by this tragedy that never happened in her office ever before.

"You okay?" Kesaria asked and Sara actually understood the uneasiness. She wasn't the type to spill coffee. But in her defence, she was anxious about something important.

"Yes, I'm fine. Just some family issues," she sort of but not really lied. She could choose to be close to her assistants but at the end of the day, she felt that they were her employees and there was a need for that barrier between them. But Kesaria had only been here for a few months now and maybe she would eventually change her mind.

"Okay. I'll get the cleaner." Kesaria said and left the room with the empty mug.

Sara sat down with a thump on the chair and realized she didn't ask Kesaria for another coffee. Well, no matter. There was work to be done now.

With a boost of motivation, Sara shifted to the couch and opened her tablet to see her emails for the day. Kesaria went through them in the morning and sorted the important ones into a file called Imp.

However, her mental motivator didn't seem to work as she could think about nothing but what she would get. She'd only sent the proposal yesterday but she was anxious. She told herself to calm down. People don't usually make life changing decisions in a day. 

She could not do it. She kept her tablet on the tea table and put her head in her hands. This was her weakness. Overthinking about every minute possibility that could go wrong. Also the fact that she could get a no was killing her as all her life, she trained herself to be the strongest one in the room. The one everyone approached with proposals, agreements and collaborations.It was such a mindset that made her one of the most successful entrepreneurs in the country.

"Urgh. Fuck it." She groaned and took her tab again.

Kesaria knocked and entered her office with a fresh cup of coffee. Which she hadn't asked for. Huh, maybe this assistant would change her mind after all.

"Rob will be here in ten minutes." She said, as she handed Sara the mug.

"Oh, thanks, Kesaria. For the coffee." She raised the cup towards her before taking a sip.

Kesaria shrugged. She took out her notepad and started stating the day's appointments. 

Sara remembered the first time she'd met Samuel. He was in one of her meetings like the ones she was going to have to force herself through. However, he was one of a kind- magnetic somehow, and she wanted to continue having agreements with him. What better way than to have an economically and socially turning agreement that lasted for life?

Huh, just wait until he says no, thanks and leaves her life. Okay, he couldn't do that either because their companies had a collaboration. Unless he's willing to leave his job to leave-

"Ma'am." 

"Yes, Kesaria." She snapped out. "Can you just leave the list here? I'll take care of it." Sara continued, pointing at the table.

"Sure..." Kesaria slowly kept her notepad on the tea table. "Are you okay? Do you need me to cancel today's unimportant appointments?"

Sara sighed, "I'm just in a little bind right now. But no, I'll be fine." Hopefully. 

"Okay, I'll be at my table if you need anything. Your first meeting will be here in an hour." Kesaria left Sara to her thoughts then.

"Focus, Sara, you can do this." She told herself, quickly went through the emails and by the time Rob came and cleaned her table she was done.

"Thanks, Rob." She said as she took her seat at the desk. 

"No problem, Ma'am."

Her first meeting was with her CFO who gave her the weekly report and projections for the next week. It was all good- sales were rising and predicted to rise by five percent in the next few months. The investors would be happy.

"Sara, you seem unfocused. Is everything okay?" Her CFO, Carmen asked.

She looked up from the report. "What, oh, yeah. Everything's fine." Why are you so obvious, Sara scolded herself.

"Oh, okay." She gave her another set of papers, "Here's the magazine contributions from the Finance department." 

"Magazine- oh, yeah, I asked for them today." Calm down. This was not how Sara behaved. But Sara also almost never had something nagging her for more than an hour. "Thanks, Carmen."

"Yeah, sure." With a suspicious look, Carmen left her office.

"Ten hells! When will he reply?" Sara took out her phone and checked if there were any messages, from her parents or Samuel. None. Was he ignoring her or something and pretending like she never asked him to marry her?

"Whatever."

At this point, she was talking to herself.

Hoping to just hold it in all together, Sara went through three more short appointments, taking phone breaks to check in if there was any sort of response from Sam.

Around noon, when it was time for lunch and Sara was just finishing up to head out to the cafeteria, Kesaria knocked on the door. 

Sara looked up to see that she was holding a paper bag in her hand.

"Yes?"

Kesaria raised the bag, "Someone sent you lunch."

"Really?!" Sara stood up suddenly.

"Uhmm, yes." Her assistant handed her the bag, probably wondering what the hell was wrong with her boss on this day.

"Oh, thanks. Saves me the trouble of going to the cafe."

This time, while leaving, Kesaria didn't bother hiding her incredulity. In the few months she worked here, no one had sent Sara lunch and even though Kesaria didn't know it, no one had sent lunch to the office in all of the six years she was CEO of the company.

She herself would be surprised had she not have been waiting for Samuel's answer.

As she expected, there was a note in the bag along with an order from her favourite restaurant. 

She took out the envelope and took a deep breath. This was it. Yes or no did not matter. What matters was she would move on. Either marry the guy she wanted to or leave the whole ordeal and go on living like she used to. Her overthinking mind couldn't handle this constant working. If this went on, her work ethic would seriously decline.

"Getting you the hell out of my mind, Samuel!" She said and opened the envelope. 

The note was short, written in his crisp and clean handwriting. 

This is not yes or no. Please enjoy this lunch while I figure out some stuff in my life. Will get back to you. Sam.

Sara banged her head on the table in front of her, and in the next few seconds, glass splinters fell over the office floor.

July 10, 2020 08:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.