0 comments

Fiction Funny

(Today’s the day of my big interview with the Douglas real estate firm, after months of unemployment. I’ve been looking forward to this more than anything.)


Jack “Good Morning, i’m Jack Paulson, I’m here for my 9:30 Interview with Mr. Reynolds for the realtor position.


( the receptionist, a slightly large woman with eye glasses from the 1970s with enough fog behind them to Make you question if she even has eyes, barely looks up at me with a less then friendly face)


receptionist “You’re here for the 9:30 am interview with Mr. Roger’s for the  

Car salesman position, correct?” 


Jack “yep that’s me” 


Receptionist “Great, just need your ID and your signature, Oh you’re left handed? That’s pretty cool”. 


Jack “yea it’s not really as special  as people think haha”. 


Receptionist “I’m sure there’s plenty special things about you” ( the receptionist says flirtatiously to me as she batteries her beautifully, vibrant blue eyes that caused me to almost forget why I was here). 


(The interview started with me waiting an extra 15 minutes in his office. All I could do was stare at his uncomfortably bright green hard wood office chair and if it feels as bad as it looks? Well I mean well ouch!) 


Mr. Reynolds “Harold Reynolds nice to meet you sorry for the wait”. 


Jack “it’s a pleasure to meet you and no not at all, I was just admiring your office chair. 


Mr. Roger’s “oh yeah that’s the Mrs. I believe it’s royal blue whatever the hell that means I will tell you though damn thing is comfortable”. 


Jack “ I figured it was some kind of blue. It’s great It looks comfortable as hell.”


( it’s weird as the interview went on I just couldn’t help the feeling that this wasn’t the job I wanted it was becoming more overwhelming, all I could do is focused on him, chewing his gum and the fan blowing in the background dying for this interview to be over) 


Mr. Reynolds “this interview is over” 


( the interview abruptly ended there was almost no conversation between us. I found myself back atreception before I knew it.) 


Receptionist “don’t forget your ID” 


Jack “oh right, thanks”


Receptionist “ I like your name. I have a brother named Jason  it’s a good name”. 


( I’m not sure why but hearing her say my name and looking at my ID feels as if it’s for the first time. It just doesn’t feel right. What’s going on with me?)


Jason “I appreciate that, I’m not sure I ever felt too connected to it to be honest well anyway have a great day and thank you so much”. 


( as I walked out, I couldn’t help but feel a weird combination of imposter syndrome and déjà vu. I know who I am but why is it that I want to ask myself that question?)


(Car honks very loudly as I realize it’s Manny.  My childhood best friend who is picking me up from the dealership. He’s a reasonable pothead and a great friend he’s giving me a ride home and I can’t wait to have a quiet early evening after such a long day)


Jason “Took you long enough”.


Manny “let’s go We have a long night ahead of us Partner”. 


Operator “we have a 511 at 1351 Roslyn Rd please respond” 


Officer Ramirez “Copy, Copy officer Peterson and I are heading to the address asap”. 


Officer Peterson “Manny ever think we’re not in control of our own lives, that there’s someone else pulling the strings?” 


Officer Ramirez “no.. because when they offered me crack in high school, I said no I’m guessing you didn’t.”


( as we approached the house, before I could exit the vehicle a flurry Of bullets impact the front of the patrol car) 


Officer Ramirez “shots fired I repeat shots fired” ( Ramirez screams into the radio to the dispatch frantically as a situation goes from bad to worse) 


( in the chaos I managed to get off enough shots off for Manny to drive backward and turn the corner)


Officer Ramirez “oh fuck Jason it’s gonna be Ok” ( as Ramirez looks at me with fear in his eyes kind of fear that makes you instantly fearful as well)


( looking down at my chest  I realized I’ve been shot. I don’t know how many times I just know have it doesn’t hurt, but I can feel my eyes getting heavier. I can hear Mannys voice in the distance, but it keeps  getting further away and my surroundings keep getting darker) 


( as I began dreaming I felt like a spectator in a room. I’ve never been in this room before it looks like home office and there  sitting at the desk is a man hunched over with a look of stress on his face wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. Who is he and what is he writing?) 


Nurse Jordan ”Dr. Paulson? I’m sorry to wake you but we need you in room 511.”


Dr. Paulson “oh I’m sorry I must’ve dozed off. It’s been a long day.” 


Nurse Jorden “of course you poor thing you are one of the hardest working doctors here!  I wouldn’t have bothered you if it wasn’t so urgent but Dr. Reynolds needs a second opinion ASAP”


( as I enter room 511 I can’t help but feel away for déjà vu again. What the hell is going on?)


Dr. Paulson “Dr. Reynolds what’s the situation?”


Dr. Reynolds “dammit Jack I’ve been waiting for you for 15 minutes, well whatever it’s a 29-year-old male a known crackhead apparently it was a drug deal went bad He was shot several times. He came in about 20 minutes ago. He’s in stable condition, but there’s a bullet near his heart. Technically isn’t affecting any major arteries, but I feel like I should try to remove it” 


Dr. Paulson “if it’s not a threat, I think we should leave it that kind of stress on the body, especially after a major event like this won’t lead any good results.”


Dr. Reynolds “well I guess Mr. Ramirez will have a great story to tell and a hell of an explanation for the TSA” 


Dr. Paulson “ Ramirez?”


Nurse Rosa “Dr. Paulson can I speak to you for a minute?  


Dr. Paulson “ i’m sorry actually I think I need some air” 


Nurse Rosa “oh is getting some air what you call it when you sleep with my twin sister?” 


Dr. Paulson “ At least maybe she’ll accept my marriage proposal, the truth is I’m in love with her” 


( in this moment as nurse Rosas small petite, but surprisingly powerful hand brushes across my face I  couldn’t help questioning  did I sleep with her sister? do I even know her? Yes of course I do but wait do I???) 


( as I rush to open one of the doors to get outside for fresh air, I’m hit with a strong wind gust and a bright light which I realize it’s coming from a helicopter) 


Officer “please Dr. Paulson life is not worth cutting it short get down off the roof and we can talk about this” 


(as I stand on the edge ready to jump I can’t understand why in that second though I hear my phone ring as I go to pick it up. Strange voice answers.)


Unknown “are you alone in the house?”


Jack “i’m sorry who is this?”


Unknown “You’ll find out soon. Make sure you lock up.” ( phone hangs up)


(as I checked to make sure the doors are locked in my house which I’m alone in since Alice and the kids are at her mothers, I can’t help but wonder if that was a prank call or something worse) 


( after a few hours, I figured it was just a prank, so I decided to take a shower to ease my nerves. But just as I begin to enjoy the shower, the bathroom lights go out and there’s scratching at the door. It sounds like a knife brushing against the door.) 


Jack “whoever is fucking around with me you should know I served for a decade as a NYPD officer before I was shot on active duty so I’m not the motherfucker you wanna play with!” 


( the door breaks open, and I herd of zombies come barreling in) 


Jack “well I guess this is a good day to die  Come on  You undead Fucks bring it on!” 


( at that moment, there’s a large knock at the door, and the author is startled and jumps up ) 


Authors wife “George you’ve been up here for hours. The party started and everyone’s waiting for you.”


George the author ” Alice I’m so close. I feel like I have the right story to tell this

 time I just need five more minutes.”


Alice “honey this is your sixth draft. You’ve changed the premise four times not to mention you have changed the names of some characters every time someone tells you a different idea and now you went from the idea of having your character being self-aware of the author changing the story to the character being what a zombie hunting cliché? 


George “ I know I know it’s a mess, I just really need a win. I haven’t written anything good in years.”


Alice “you are a great writer but every time you’ve written something great it’s because you trusted your process and yourself you have to get back that and plus at least you kept one thing consistent Your main characters are always left-handed. I’m sure that has nothing to do with you being left-handed of course” 


George ”well you know what they say art imitates life but you’re right dear, well at least I know one thing I have a title… “the ever changing story.” 


Alice “that’s pretty good honey I like it”


George “do you really? Because it’s more of a working title I have a few others do you want to hear them?”


Alice “ George get down stairs!”

















September 03, 2024 03:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.