2 comments

Suspense Romance Crime

The sun, is it shining or is it night? The wind is it howling or is it still? The roses are still intoxicated with their sweet smell? Or are they wilting? Just as I am.

"Good Morning, dear." I hear soft voices greet me.

"Good morning!" I say in my head. For some reason I can't get my lips to move, or my eyes to open. I try to wiggle my fingers but I know that they are staying by my sides, no bugging. I wonder why? What if-

My thoughts get cut off by that same voice. "Your vitals look good, I'm just going to give you your breakfast now, then you can rest."

My breakfast? How? I can't even open my eyes let alone my mouth to speak. How am I supposed to eat? Just then a sharp sensation starts traveling up my nose. But it's not on my skin. It's more inside my nose... Is it my muscle? A vain? I have no idea. I want to ask but my lips still won't move.

"There we are dear. I'll be back in a little while to check on you." The voice said again.

"Wate!" I wanted to scream. "Who are you? Where am I? What's going-" Just then a new voice enters the room.

"How is she?" I hear what sounds like a man's voice ask.

"She's better today. Her brain is showing more activity than usual, which is very promising."

"Really?" I hear the man's voice sound confused yet hopeful. "That's amazing." He says softly, but with less hope in his voice this time, like he's heard it all before... Suddenly I feel something soft yet firm rap around my hand. I feel good. Really good, like it was made to match every curve of my hand with it's own. I feel it gives me a light squeeze. I want to return the favor, show that I feel our connection. But, of course the muscles in my hand refuse to oblige.

"Kelly, I'm here." I hear the man's voice say, as something strokes my cheek.

"Kelly? Who's Kelly?" I think. "Is he talking to me? My name isn't Kelly. Wate is it? Why can't I remember? I would know if it was my name. Right?" I question myself. "Of course I would everyone to know their name... So why can't I remember mine? I want to ask him so badly if he is talking to me! Is that my name? Do you know where we are? Why am I here? What's going on? But, my stupid lips  STILL won't move!

Ahh! This is so frustrating! Open your mouth!" I tell myself.

Suddenly I feel something stabbing my chest. The pressure is overwhelming and I can barely breath.

"Code Blue!" I hear a woman's voice scream. I hear stopping and things crashing all around me.

"What's wrong? Is she ok?" The man's voice shouts over the comoting surrounding me. He sounds scared and desperate for an answer.

"Someone get him out of here!" A new voice says.

"No, I need to stay with her. What's going on? The man's voice screams.

Just then a loud constant beeping sound goes off.

"Shit, We're losing her!" Another voice says.

"We're going to get shut down." Someone says.

All at once I feel my chest caving in. I really can't breath now.

"Ow my God! What's happening?" The man's voice cries.

"Get him out of here! Now!" A familiar voice says.

"What no!" The man shouts. Then something slams shut.

I can feel myself slipping away. My heart slowing. My lungs refused to let air in.

When I hear someone say "Charge to 300."

"Ready." Someone else says.

"Clear!" The voice shouts.

I feel a huge shock radiate through me. Starting at my chest and shocking all the way down to my toes.

"Huh!" I take my first breath of air and open my eyes.

"Ow my God!" Someone screams.

I'm sitting up now breathing hard and finally taking my first look around. I'm in a large room with lots of equipment and people in it. I'm lying propped up in a bed. There is a window in the room with metal bars over it and I can see the sun setting.

"Where am I?" I think to myself.

"You are in a Rehab Testing Center" A man in a white coat says. It is only then that I realise I spoke out loud.

"Ow my gosh! You can hear me?" I say feeling my lips and finally hearing my own voice. "I've been trying to talk to you guys all day!" I say excitedly and sit myself up on the bed crossing my legs. I look down at myself feeling the fabric covering me. It looks like some kind of nightgown.

"You have?" A woman in blue scrubs asks, surprised.

"That's not possible." A man in pink scrubs says. "Is it?" He then asks turning to face the man in the white coat. Everyone follows his gaze landing on the same man.

"It is possible I suppose. Lots of people in comas can hear conversations going on around them. However, most of them can't comprehend them. Let alone try to talk back."  The man in the white coat pauses and everyone has turned pale with shock, and are now staring at me. "Quite frankly I'm surprised that you're talking right now." He says inching closer. "Honestly you shouldn't be. And the fact that your sting up is shocking." He says reaching out to touch me. But, I jump off the bed and back up against the window. Doing this I realise that I have things that are connected all over me. Something in my nose, things in my arm, something connected to my head. Everyone lets out sounds of shock, and some people even stumble backwards from my motion.

I may be confused but something inside of me is telling me that this is all wrong. I shouldn't be here. These people are not good. All of the sudden two people come running in. A man first then a woman. "I tried to stop him Sir." The woman says out of breath. I recognized her voice form this morning. She was the one that gave me my "breakfast". The man in the coat is furious at first but quickly covers it. I tear my gaze away from the woman and look at the man in the doorway.

"Kelly." He whispers with tears streaming down his face.

Then something hits me. Suddenly I know the answers to all my questions.  My name is Kelly. I am 23 years old and was born in Massachusetts. This place is no ordinary testing center, it is illegal. It's located on the border of Massachusetts, hidden in the forest. They do illegal drug testing. I'm an undercover FBI agent and came out here to investigate. When they found out who I was they injected me with some type of drug that gave me temporary anesthesia and made me unconscious. They have been keeping me here ever since giving me drugs to slow my heart down and temporarily paralyzing me. The man in the doorway is the man's voice that was calling me "Kelly" all morning. He's name is Brian and he is my partner and my fiance. We were on this mission together but had to split up. We told each other that we would spend five hours investigating then meet outside the forest by the border.

Luckly, we had a plan in case anything like this happened to one of us. The one that wasn't captured would pretend to be a sibling and come to "visit" the other in this "Rehab Testing Center". Doing this the people here would grow to trust us and let in on their secrets. Then the one that wasn't captured would use their information against them and free the other. Brian must have been in the middle of his plan before I woke up.

"Brian!" I cried running to him ripping out the things connected to me. I jumped into his arms.

"I thought I lost you." He whispered, pushing his head into the curve of my neck.

"Never" I whispered, hugging him tighter.

"We need to get out of here." He said very quietly in my ear making sure no one else heard.

"Agread." I answered. We teared apart to face the illegal Doctors and nurses.

"We are leaving." Brian said firmly, slipping his arm around my waist  pulling me close.

"That wouldn't be smart." The Doctor in the white coat said, looking like an evil villain as he shifted to face us. I could see his lanyard now "Doctor. Mason Francis" it read. Even his name sounded evil. He walked closer to us and Brian tightened his grip on me.

"You are still very sick Kelly." He said.

"Sick?" I thought to myself. "I'm not sick, I- wate that's what they told Brian a few days ago. They said that the equipment in this room that was hooked up to me was keeping me alive. What lies. He must have seen my disbelief because he slyly smiled and turned to Brian. "Your brother knows this and he agrees. Don't you Brian?" He said smiling ever so slightly.

"Yes, I do." Brian said playing along. "Which is why we are transferring somewhere else." He said, returning his smile.

"What? You can't-"

"Actually we can and we are. You have been very unreliable and unprofessional. We need to go somewhere where they will take  her condition more seriously." Brian lied.

"But-"

"No, there is nothing more to say we are leaving now. Goodbye." Brian said, beginning to turn the doorknob.

"Please, don't leave. I assure you we do take her condition very seriously. If you would ju-"

"No, if you took her condition seriously then she wouldn't have been put into a coma for a week!" Brian yelled.

"You don't understand-"

"Ow I understand!" Brian shouted. "Now if you'll excuse us we ARE leaving now. Goodbye." Brian opened the door and we walked out  without any more problems.

Brian and I returned to our Director and reported everything that happened. With all the things that they did to me (and having Brian as a witness) we were able to shut them down for good. Doctor. Mason Francis and his "followers" were taken to prison where they will serve out their sentence for the rest of their miserable lives.

April 15, 2021 22:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

04:04 Apr 23, 2021

I do very much like your story, but watch out for spelling and grammar mistakes! They can be a bit distracting. :)

Reply

03:45 May 01, 2021

Thank you! I will work in that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.