Where Will You Be When The New Year Comes In?

Submitted into Contest #22 in response to: Write a short story about a person who goes to bed on Valentine's Day and wakes up in 1920.... view prompt

0 comments

Holiday

One night my cousin and I had asleep over and it just happen to be New Years Eve, 2019. My cousin Brenda loved to party but I was not too much of a party person. Namely, because my parents did not allow me to go to wild parties. Well you know how you get the feeling something is going to happen, but you can’t put your finger on what it is? Just like with anything else if you don't ask what's going to happen maybe it won't. But we were just two curious teenagers having a sleep over with a few friends. We played games, ate all of our favorite foods, and just had a great time. Well we wanted to go to New York City to see the ball drop as it does every New Year’s Eve. So we all put our heads together to try to figure out how we could get there. The late great Dick Clark always gave the best count downs. My mother was attending a party and my father had a business meeting to attend, but they each promised to be back to ring the New Year in with me as we would every year. Just like I said I was not a party goer, but tonight I was eager to try something different, which I knew may cost me ringing the New Year in with my family. My cousin Brenda’s aunt lives in New York and I stayed in Connecticut, which was not extremely far away. We called Brenda’s aunt to come and pick us up. She arrived at the house around 5:45 p.m., and we were on our way to New York City. I was too excited but I still had that weird feeling something might happen. 

We arrived in New York City around 7:45p.m. Everything was so lit up and beautiful. My cousin and her aunt showed us around, but in the midst of the crowd I got lost. I tried to reach them by cellphone, but no answer. I begin to cry when a strange man picked me up and placed a black bag over my head. He spoke in an Arabic language so I didn’t understand anything he was saying. He hit me over the head and I passed out. Nobody couldn’t tell me that I wasn’t dead. For a short period of time I felt my soul leave my body, I felt like I was floating. I was above the crowd and I could see everything and everyone even myself being carried away with this strange man. He took me to an abandoned building where my cousin Brenda was sitting there crying and screaming. I didn’t know what to do because I was still floating. The man removed the bag from my head and threw me on a chair, by this time it was about 8:45p.m. I wanted to get back inside my body to see if I could wake up and get help, but I couldn’t get back in my body for some reason. I floated through the wall into this other room where there were women and children tied up and yelling for help. I began to cry because by this time I truly felt like I was dead because I was helpless. 

Another woman was floating around as if her spirit let her body as well. She saw me crying and she floated over to comfort me. She looked like an angel because her skin was radiant, she wore a bright white robe, and she kept saying you have been chosen. I didn’t know what she meant so I continued to talk to her and she just kept saying you have been chosen. She grabbed my hand and took me outside way up in the sky beyond the clouds. She disappeared and I fell, but I landed on a cloud and I’m guessing I went to sleep because when I woke up I heard all of this cheering and laughter. A group of Angels surrounded me and they said you have been chosen. They put a white robe on me and made me drink this red wine and I had to recite these prayers. I had wings and I could fly so I flew above their heads. I yelled what time is it? They said the clock just struck midnight and you are awake in the New Year 1920. So I said where is my family, my friends, how do I get back home? Please tell me how do I get back home? 

Those angels told me I was home I was the sacrifice for my family so that they could live. If I didn’t sacrifice myself, my family would have died before the New Year rang in. 

I was a little depressed at the news at first, but that very moment I was able to look upon the face of God and he said my child for your sacrifice I honor you with angel wings and anytime you want to go home you may, but you must never tell of this miraculous transformation because everyone will have their chance to look upon my face. But you have been granted a precious gift and that is you must go out into the world and speak of the goodness of God and do great deeds for all. You see you gave your life so that others might live, but I won’t punish you but reward you the gift of grace and mercy to continue to live on with your family. So whenever you get ready use your wings to get back home and be with your family. Your powers are only to be used for good if I see otherwise you will regret the decisions you made here today in the Heavenly Kingdom. I was so amazed, afraid, and astounded all at the same time. When God spoke the wings of the angels trembled with fear because he was so powerful it reflected in his voice. I was transformed and I woke up in Heaven on New Year’s Day, an experience I will never forget.

January 03, 2020 03:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.