0 comments

Fiction Thriller Adventure

I was on my couch binge-watching all my favorite tv shows and movies, a typical Friday night. I had my control and popcorn by my side. People would be surprised how long I can sit on the couch. Everybody else sees a typical Friday night as going out but I am not everybody else. I like when I can get a little time to myself, it's mostly stress-free unless my favorite Avenger dies out of nowhere; I would rather not talk about it. My interest lies more in the adventure and comedy side. From the Fast and the Furious movies to the tv show, Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I am a pretty complicated and conservative person when it comes to tv. I was rewatching my favorite episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, “HalloVeen,” when the squad is preparing for Halloween Heist Part 5 to see who is the best human/genius. A championship belt was involved and whoever had it by midnight would win. There were betrayals and secret alliances but that was not the best part. Jake, who is the best detective at the Nine-Nine, made it seem like he had gotten the belt; but his partner at work and in life, Amy was smarter than that. She followed him to the evidence room, where Jake had hidden the belt, and when she found it she knew she had won until… he told her to read what the belt said. When Amy was about to read the belt, you can see Jake get down on one knee and… THE SCREEN WENT BLACK! 

Oh my gosh, it was at the best part. I looked out the window and saw complete darkness. On the one day that I had to relax, the power went out throughout the whole city. I tried to look for a flashlight and found one with no batteries. Great no batteries to spare. I was just standing there in the dark, without the satisfaction of watching Amy’s reaction to Jake’s proposal. I guess I can just go outside and take a walk since there is nothing better to do. I made it to the street where I find other people that seem lost without their tv time and phones. I heard people yelling, “NO BARS, NEED TO FIND A SIGNAL!,” I loved sitting on my couch on Friday nights but I was not that lost. I found my way downtown, where it did not look so well. When there is a blackout, people think that it's okay to go crazy and loot stores. I saw broken windows and glass everywhere, it was just a mess. I may have been bored but I wasn’t so bored to break the law. The looters’ rampage had passed so I decided to help out the store owners by cleaning things up.  I swept up the broken glass and helped tidy things up. I told the store owners that the authorities have been notified. It seems like when technology is down, so is people’s state of mind. After I helped the store owners clean up, I kept walking in darkness without knowing what could happen.

I am still walking New York’s shady-dark streets and so far this power outage has been quite interesting. Passing the outcome of the looting rampage, I decided to make my way to work, to see if I can be of any assistance. It was pretty hard to get to work because of all the New York Traffic plus the power outage. I made my way down the street but then I stopped because I had seen something happening in an alley that shouldn’t have been happening. A man was trying to take a lady’s purse. She was yelling at the man to let go but he wouldn’t budge. I headed over to confront the man and at first, he found it funny. I warned him to back off but he didn’t listen and pulled out a knife. I knew what I had to do, I got in a fight position and I used what I trained for. I dodged the knife a few times and I was able to knock it out of his hand. Now it was a fair fight, I gave him a pretty deep uppercut and kicked him in the gut which was what made him back off. He ran and left the purse so my training did work. I helped the lady up and she thanked me. I made sure she was okay and told her to get home safe. I watched the lady walk away and I was proud of myself for doing a good thing. After that interesting encounter which was not my first, I straightened up and continued walking the crazy streets of New York.

Today I woke up not knowing that one power outage would affect a whole city. So far this day was nothing like I imagined my typical Friday night. My one day off work and I ended up not doing what I usually plan. The streets of New York are full of frustrated people that just want the power back on. I would have taken my car to work but I think I would be one of those frustrated people. With the day that I have had, work must be way more interesting. It was quite chilly and I was hoping to get a coffee but then I realized that the power was out. Everything has been affected by the city-wide power outage. I didn’t realize how far my home was from my workplace, which was quite tiring, but I stayed in shape for the job. This was the first time that I felt that I saw what New York is like. I finally had made it! When I arrived at the precinct, I saw many faces that were concerned about the power outage. Did I forget to mention that I love cop shows because I am a cop, detective Kate Danger. The city is still dark but I did my part and will continue to bring light to the darkness. Today was full of adventure but I think that is the best part of the job. 

May 07, 2021 17:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.