All To Say Goodbye/No Time To Say Goodbye

Submitted into Contest #89 in response to: Write a story where one person is trying to say goodbye but keeps getting interrupted.... view prompt

3 comments

Sad

The sky was grey and swirling with clouds. The trees stood still and quiet, their leaves not moving. Small droplets of rain fell down from above, splattering against the surface they landed on. The girl stood there, unmoving even after the last few people had walked away, tears streaming down her face. Her bright floral dress not matching the streaks of makeup running over her cheeks.

"Damn it!" She screamed, fisting a hand in her long brown locks and falling to her knees. "Why? What happened to our time?"

The petals fluttered across the grass, their innocent beauty now tainted with the curse of heartbreak.

-----

'Mary! Mary, wait up!' The brunette called, running towards the blonde. "Baby!"

"Hey, love," the blonde said, a smile gracing her pink lips. "How are you?"

"Better now I'm with you," the brunette said, snuggling into the blondes neck. "I haven't seen you in a few weeks, where have you been? I missed you."

The blonde turned around in the other girl's arms, rapping her arms loosely around her waist in return. Her floral patterned dress fluttering in the breeze; her hair was woven into plaits down her back and decorated with flowers.

"Jenna," Mary said, a look of sadness pooling in her hazel eyes. "I just haven't been feeling very well lately."

"You know," Jenna said, running a hand through her lover's hair. "For as long as I have known you, you have never been sick. You're one of the strongest people I know."

Laughing softly, Mary shook her head. "Thanks love, but this is different. I wouldn't say I've got a common sickness, but we need to talk about it..."

Suddenly, the shrill ringing of a phone cut Mary off from saying anymore. With an annoyed sigh, Jenna reluctantly pulled away, reaching into her pocket to pull out the device; her glare at the screen quickly morphed from one of anger to shock and from shock to the slightest glimpse of hope.

"It's the gallery." Jenna whispered, looking up at the blonde.

"Really!" Mary said, a smile breaking out across her face. "Answer it!"

"But you said..." the brunette said slowly, looking torn.

"We can always talk about it another day," Mary said, pushing the phone closer to the girl's ear. "Now, answer the call."

With a shocked nod, Jenna pressed the green button and held the device to her ear. 'Hello, Jenna Monel speaking."

"Yes."

"Really?"

"Thank you! Thank you so much!"

"Yes! I can see you tomorrow!"

"Thank you so much, Sir! Goodbye."

Tears of joy welled up in Jenna's blue eyes, as she stood still in shock.

"Well? It sounded like good news," Mary asked.

"I did it," Jenna whispered, before bursting with joy. "I did it! They're going to put my work on display!"

"Congratulations, Love!" Mary said, getting pulled into a tight hug. "I knew you could do it!"

"I'm meeting with the director of the gallery tomorrow! He said we are going to talk about the exhibition more in-depth and what I want my work to express."

"I'm so proud of you. People are going to love your art. Do you know when the exhibition will go on display?"

"The director says in about six more months, just so I have time to prepare if needed."

A look of sadness passed over Mary's face at her lover's words, but she soon covered it up with a smile. "It's going to keep you extremely busy; we may not get to see each other as much."

"I'll alway make sure to make time for the love of my life," Jenna said, cupping Mary's face and giving her a loving kiss. "Always for our time."

-----

The blonde girl sat curled up in the bed, quietly watching the artist work; dark rings now circled her eyes, her cheeks sunken, her hair was loose and stringy and her skin was starting to look waxy. Shivering softly, Mary tucked herself further into the blankets.

"Love, come to bed, its late." Mary called, reaching out to the brunette. "You've been working all day, take a break, please. For me."

With a tired sigh, Jenna climbed down the ladder and placed down the numerous brushes and tubes; slipping out of her paint splattered overalls and stumbling to the bathroom. The sound of the shower being turned on hissed out of the bathroom door, steam slowly flouting out after a minute. After about ten minuets, the shower was turned off and minutes later Jenna walked out with a towel rapped around her head and dressed in an oversized shirt. Lifting the covers, Jenna crawled under them and snuggled up to Mary.

"You're looking worse today, have you been to the doctors yet?" Jenna asked, her eyelids struggling to stay open. "You don't seem to be getting better."

"You're one to talk," Mary said, slowly stroking her lovers back rhythmically. "You've been working non-stop for the last two months, from when you get up to when you nearly fall over because you are so tired."

"I wasn't talking about me," Jenna mumbled, forcing the words out of her mouth. "Just tell me you're okay."

"We can talk about it another time, love," Mary said quietly, hugging the other girl and resting her head against her chest. "Just sleep now. You have another busy day ahead of you tomorrow."

-----

Bursting through the glass doors, the brunette looked around franticly before running and slamming her palms on top of the desk. The look of a wild animal was printed across her eyes and face; her hair was a mess and clothes looked like they hadn't been washed in a day or two.

"Where is she?" Jenna practically shouted, twitching as she waited. "Where is Mary Rose?"

"What is your relation to Miss Rose?" The receptionist asked, her greying hair pulled back in a bun.

"She's my fiancé damn it!" Jenna yelled, flashing the engagement ring on her finger. "Let me go see her! Please!"

"You do realise that visiting hours are nearly over correct?"

"Just let me see my fiancé!"

"Miss Rose is on floor 3, room 42." The receptionist said, pointing to the elevator.

With a quick word of thanks, Jenna sprinted to the elevator doors, rapidly pushing the up button. As soon as the doors opened, she flung herself inside and pushed the button for the third floor. When the doors opened with a ding, Jenna was already halfway down the hall before they had even opened fully; searching for room 42. Upon finding it, she ran through the door and stood panting and in shock at the scene before her.

"Hey, love." Mary coughed, smiling through the pain.

Mary lay in the hospital bed, hooked up to multiple machines. Her skin was waxy and pale, sunken and thin; her once long blonde hair was no more then thin, stringy patches under a thick woollen beanie.

"Mary." Jenna whispered, tears forming in her eyes. "When I got the call....."

"I'm sorry for scaring you, Love," Mary said softly, before a bout of racking coughs made her body shake. "I'm so cold."

Pulling off her thick winter coat, Jenna walked up to the bed and gently placed it over the girl, carefully tucking it in around her shoulders.

"I was so worried. They told me you just collapsed," Jenna said. "I came straight over after the call. I didn't realise you have been so sick! I'm so sorry for not seeing you for the last month, I just go so caught up with my up coming exhibition! I forgot to make time for you. I'm so sorry, please forgive me!"

"It's okay, love," Mary said, leaning into her fiance´'s hand. "I've been trying to tell you..."

"Miss. It's passed visiting hours, I'm going to have to ask you to leave." A doctor said, standing at the door.

"Can't you see we're busy!" Jenna snapped, turning to face the doctor. "I'll go in a few minutes!"

"Miss please, don't make me call security."

"Jenna, love, please." Mary said weakly. "You can come back tomorrow."

"No! Every time you try and tell me something, we keep getting interrupted!" Jenna shouted, clutching her hair in frustration. "Please! Just tell me what you've been trying so hard too!"

"Miss, we need you to leave." A security guard said.

"No! I'm not leaving until she talks to me!"

"We will use force if needed."

"Love, please." Mary said. "We'll have more time tomorrow. I promise."

"Let's go miss." The guard said, grabbing Jenna's upper arm.

"No! Let go of me!" Jenna screamed, trashing her body to try and escape. "Mary! Mary please!"

Mary cried silently as she watched the brunette get dragged out of the room kicking and screaming. Looking up at the doctor with watery eyes.

"How long?"

"It's hard to tell," the doctor said, looking down sadly. "I'm truely sorry."

"So am I." Mary said softly. "I just wanted a little more time. Just to say goodbye."

-----

Jenna stared down at the freshly dug grave, the new headstone glittering with inlayed glass. The wreath of flowers stood next to the headstone, petals falling off and blowing in the breeze as the brunette knelt crying.

"I should have made more time," Jenna said, pressing a hand into the dirt. "Please forgive me, Love. I just want a little more time."

April 17, 2021 03:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Ruth Smith
05:54 Jul 01, 2021

Flora, this is a very moving story. I really felt for both of the characters. There are a few errors. I didn't count the paragraphs I found them in, I just copied the lines. "rapping her arms" should be wrapping. The other is to knock or is a form of poetic music. "steam slowly flouting" you mean floating. To flout is to mock or scoff at. "a towel rapped around her head " same thing, wrapped. Overall it was a well written piece. I enjoyed it very much,

Reply

Flora Bell
06:20 Jul 01, 2021

I should know how to spell better. Sometimes I type to fast and miss out letters......... Or maybe school spelling tests were all a big lie, and my spelling is AWFUL! I am going to hide under my rock of shame now. But I feel like I made the story move too quickly and rushed things. And I also feel like I mucked up the dynamic between the characters. And it felt rough, and didn't flow as well as it should. But I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Reply

Ruth Smith
12:59 Jul 01, 2021

Spell check doesn't help. Type in hose instead of house and spell check lets it through. When you are limited in the number of words you can submit, sometimes some things get rushed. The last story I wrote I had 4000 words in the first draft and I had to pare it down way more than I wanted to. Some nuances got lost as a result, and I felt I left some things out that were important to the story. Once the contest is over you can make the changes you feel need to be made to make it more smooth. I think with the roughness that you see, the...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.