1 comment

Thriller Contemporary

Lisa Lanes, a cop in the city of Harlem, walked down Maple on her assigned patrol. There’d been a spike in alleyway robberies and assaults and the best way to catch those was to be walking by those alleyways. Not driving by.

Still, even walking, the only problem she’d come across was the weather. The sky was grey with an overcast threatening a heavy downpour. It was windy, which made the forty degrees feel more like thirty. 

Then, there it was. A single drop of rain, which Lisa knew would turn into a shower soon enough. She sighed. Looks like patrol was done for the evening. Continuing in her Ford wouldn’t do anything, nobody committed crimes within the view of police cars.

She just hoped she’d be able to make it home before it rained heavily. She’d hate to have to get dressed while her son Teddy - who was probably awaiting her return so she could make dinner - went hungry. 

She turned the corner onto her street and what she saw sent her cop senses blaring. 

The first thing was a tall muscular man dressed in a grey hoodie and black jeans, as well as Venum Elite shoes. 

The second thing, which was much worse, was a figure retreating from her house.

Teddy, was the one thought she had before running past the suspicious man and straight to her home. She unlocked the door. The handle was warm… 

She pushed the door open and stepped inside.

“Theodore!” She called anxiously.

“Yes mommy,” came the voice of her six year old son.

“Oh Teddy, thank goodness you’re okay,” she cried, the tears she’d been holding back rolling down her cheeks as she dropped to her knees and embraced her son. 

“Of course I’m okay,” he said. “Why are you crying mommy?”

“Listen to me very carefully,” she said, pulling Teddy in front of her. “Don’t you ever open this door for anybody. Understand? Never.”

“Why?” Teddy asked.

“Because,” she said “If someone bad was on the other side they could take you away from me, and I would be sad forever.”

“Okay, I promise,” he said. “Just promise me that you won’t be sad forever.” He hugged her again, his blonde hair tickling her chin.


That lady wasn’t going to steal anything, the stranger in the grey hoodie thought. She didn’t have a bag or anything. But that woman… that cop… the way she rushed to the house. Then it hit him.

She wasn’t worried about something. She was worried about someone. He sighed. A something wasn’t worth his time. But a someone was. 

Looks like one more thing to do, he thought.



Lisa was reluctant to leave her son alone the following day, but she knew she had to. She was already running late. Besides, the sooner she finished her patrol, the sooner she could come back to Teddy. 

She kissed her son’s forehead and looked into his big, beautiful blue eyes.

“Remember what I told you about the door?” She asked.

“Don’t open it for anyone, no matter what they say. If they sound like you, if they say they know you or you sent them, if they threaten to hurt me, or if they say they’ll give me something,” he recited.

“Yes,” she said. “I’ll be back soon, love you Teddy.”

“I love you too mommy.”



The stranger was surprised to see the officer out of her house so soon, and away from whatever person she was worried about. Even more surprised when she stopped him in the alleyway.

 Since when did the cops patrol on foot? Maybe he would have more time if he didn’t have to deal with all these alleyway rats.



“Drop the brass knuckles,” Lisa said, holding her taser up at the man. It was the man from last night, and he was holding a beaten man by the shirt.

“W-wait,” said a girl, stepping out from behind a trash bin. “He was saving me from that guy…” she pointed to the man with a bloody face who was muttering something ineligible. 

The stranger punched him in the face one last time, rendering him unconscious before dropping him. He started to leave, but stopped beside her. 

“If I’d known you patrolled the streets now, I might’ve stayed out of it,” he said. His voice was deep, calm, and sent shivers down her spine.

Part of Lisa wanted to stop him, but the safety of the girl and the questioning and containment of the man were more important.



The stranger watched the house as inconspicuously as he could without infringing on Lisa’s property - he learned her name by reading her officer badge.

He had to walk around the block every 20 minutes or so. This was one of those times.



Knock, knock. Teddy froze, remembering what his mother said about not opening the door. There was another knock, and then the doorbell rang. Teddy tried to ignore it, but if he didn’t answer, the person just kept knocking. He walked over to the front door and stared at it. 


Another knock.


“Who are you?” He asked.

“Oh hi,” said a sweet female voice that reminded Teddy of lollipops. “Are you Theodore Carrix?” 

Teddy’s nose scrunched in disgust at the mention of his father’s last name and he suddenly hated the voice of the woman. How dare she ask if he kept that man’s last name. His father abandoned him and his mom before he was born and went off to become a criminal.

“No,” Teddy said with an unusual amount of coldness for such a young boy.

“Carrix-Lanes?” The voice tried again.

“I don’t have a double last name,” he said.

“Oh, just Lanes then?” She asked.

“I think you have the wrong house,” Teddy said, hoping that that would make the lady leave.

“Theo,” she said, making Teddy’s nose scrunch again. “I’m a friend of your mother’s. There’s been an accident.”

“Who are you?” He asked again.

“Linda,” said the voice.

“Linda who?” He asked. “I don’t know any Linda’s. I’m going to have to ask you to leave,” the last line was something he’d heard his mom say, and he’d always wanted to say it himself.

“Open the door or I’ll set this house on fire!” Screamed the woman, banging on the door violently.

Teddy jumped before he realized something. 

He laughed and the banging stopped.

“Then you’ll go to jail,” he said simply. “My mom’s a cop, so she’ll get you good!”

“HEY!” Said a man’s voice. Teddy froze. Who was that?



“What are you doing banging on my door?” The stranger asked the woman, who had arrived at the house while he was rounding the block.

The woman turned around wide eyed.

‘Y-your house?” She asked.

“Get out of here before I call the cops,” he said.

She looked around as if looking for someone to help her, but the street was empty. She growled and stomped off.

“Are you okay?” He asked after she was out of earshot.

“Wh-who are you?” Asked a kid’s voice from the other side of the door.

His eyes went wide. Now he understood.

“Uh… you can call me... “ He looked around for something to give him an idea… he looked at his hoodie. “Grey,” he said.

“Okay Grey,” the kid said suspiciously. “Just know that I’m not going to open this door for you.”

“I uh… didn’t think you would,” Gray said, taken aback by the strange comment. This kid… was definitely the son of a cop.

At least now he knew what he was protecting. Now he knew what his priorities were.



Lisa sat down at the table, trying to ignore the strange tension between her and her son. Teddy was watching the clock anxiously, as if waiting for something bad to happen at any second.

“Is there something you want to tell me Teddy?” She asked. 

“Just a minute,” Teddy said.

And in about 60 seconds Teddy turned to her very seriously.

“Something happened today mom,” he said. “Someone… someone came to the door.”

Lisa froze.

“It was a lady. She kept asking me who I was. She used dad’s last name first… then she said she was your friend and something bad had happened. I asked her what her name was.. She said Linda……”

Lisa listened very carefully to every detail, compiling a mental file of this person and planning to go on a “woman hunt” tomorrow.

Then Teddy said something else.

“Then a man made her her go away, he asked if I was okay. Then he said that I should tell you this at 6:00, so I am, and that he wanted you to meet him outside.

Lisa got up from the table and headed for the door. 

“Stay here,” she said.



“Grey '' tapped his foot as he awaited at the corner. He knew that’s where she would look first. He just hoped the kid did what he was supposed to.

There she was.

Finally, he thought.

“What were you doing by my house again?” She asked.

Straight to the point, he thought.

“Saving your child,” he stated simply.

She didn’t have anything to say to that.

“Who are you?” She asked after a moment.

“Call me Grey,” he said.

“Why are you watching us?” She asked.

“I wasn’t originally,” he said. “I was watching the woman who’s trying to kidnap him. She’s suspected of committing a lot of crimes that… don’t make sense. The M.O is…” he trailed off.

“So what, you’re some sort of vigilante then?” She asked.

“I wouldn’t call myself that,” he said. “I’m just stopping the crimes the cops don’t see.”

Lisa opened her mouth, but shut it again. 

“Tell me I’m wrong,” he continued. “Tell me your son would still be in your care if I hadn’t stepped in.”



Lisa glared at Grey but didn’t say anything. He was right, and she owed him respect at the very least.

“What do you want?” She asked.

“From you, nothing,” he said. “I just want to stop the criminal.”

“Let me help you then,” she said.

“No,” Grey said.

“It wasn’t an offer,” she said.



Grey sat down on Lisa’s front porch, watching people walk up and down the sidewalk and watching cars drive by, keeping a lookout for any suspicious behavior. 

“Are you hungry?” The kid asked through the door.

“Not really,” Grey said.

“Aww… but I made you a sandwich,” he said.

“Fine,” he accepted, to make the kid feel better.

“Yay!” Teddy said. He opened the door just a crack and slid the sandwich outside. “Slide the plate through the mail thing when you’re done!”

Grey ate the kid’s sandwich and slid the plate through the slot as he was directed, though he questioned the method. He turned back towards the road and saw the woman again.

“What are you doing here again?” he asked.

“I don’t know if you’re Lisa’s boyfriend or fiance or whatever,” she said. “But all I want is the kid.”

“Really?” Grey asked. “And all I want is to keep him from you.”

“Why?” She asked.

“You’re stalling,” Grey said. “Why?”

Then he noticed the silver Mercedes that hadn’t been there before. He pulled out his gun and turned around but he was too late. He went to shoot the woman, but he was knocked upside the head and the bullet missed the chest, but embedded itself deep in her leg.

“RUN KID!!!” He said, as loud as he could. Then it all went black…



Teddy let out a terrified shudder and raced for the house phone, punching in his mom’s number. The lock turned and he quickly turned it back.

“Try the other door,” said a man’s voice.

“Hello?” His mother said.

“Mom…” he barely whispered. “Please help…” 

Then he hung up.

He had to hide.



Lisa stared down at Grey’s unconscious form. He was breathing. At least he was breathing. 

“Grey,” she said. “Grey!”

“I’m sorry…” he mumbled. “There were… two…”

She pulled him up to his feet and he thanked her, holding his hand to the bloody spot behind his head.

“Two?” She asked.

“The man knocked me out,” he said. “I shot the woman though…”

Lisa supported his limping form up to the doorway.

“I’m fine,” he said, shifting his weight to his own two feet.

She pulled out a gun and he pulled out the knife from his hoodie’s pocket. 

“Teddy, it’s momma,” she said. “Stay hidden okay? I’ll come get you when it’s safe.” 




Grey heard a small thud, which distracted him from the quiet footsteps coming up behind him. Now he knew where the kid was. And then, in the revelation, he felt a gun pressed against his back.

Damned blood loss, he thought.

“Put the gun down now.”



Lisa turned in shock.

“How about no,” Grey said.




He thrust his hunting knife into his “captor’s” side and she screamed in pain, falling to the ground. He pulled the blade out and took the gun, leaving her there after making sure she had no other weapon.

“Now we just have to find the other one,” he said.



“Found,” said a voice that Lisa found all too familiar. One she hoped she’d never hear again.

She froze.

“All I want is my son Lisa,” it said. “Then I’ll leave you alone.”




“Son?” Grey asked.

The man had his face covered, wearing nothing but black.

“Who’s he?” he asked.

“Someone who’s helping me protect my son,” Lisa said venomously

“Hmm... “ the stranger said. “Not anymore.”

“No!” Lisa screamed, pulling the trigger first. 



…..



Both bullets missed their targets. 

Lisa’s hit her ex's forearm, while the intruder’s hit Grey’s shoulder.

The two men screamed out in pain. 

Lisa had dropped the gun, the shot was rushed and she was pushed back.

The intruder smiled wolfishly and approached Lisa. 

“Stay away from me…” she said.

Grey shook of the shock from the shot. 

“Leave her alone,” he said. 

The stranger rolled his eyes and shot Grey at random. The thud without any scream implied that he was dead.

“Now what to do with you?”



Teddy’s eyes went wide as he hid in the dark trash can, desperately trying not to scream or cry. That was his dad… and he was going to hurt his mom... 

He had to do

Something. 




Lisa backed into the wall. 

“Stay away from me,” she said, reaching for her gun.

“Don’t do that,” he said, shooting her hand.

Lisa screamed.

“You’re making this harder than this has to be,” he said. “Tell me where he is or I’ll kill you.”

“Kill me then,” Lisa said.

“Fine,” he said with a shrug.

He took his aim, but was knocked off balance and fell to the ground.

“Teddy, no!” Lisa screamed.



Teddy threw punches at the man who was supposed to be his “father” with all his might. It wasn’t much, but it had saved his mother.

“There you are, little hero,” his father said.

“Don’t talk to me!” Teddy cried.

“Hey don’t say that,” he said, grabbing the small child.

“Don’t touch me!” Teddy screeched. “Mom, help me!”

“She was,” he said.

Teddy kicked and punched and scratched and bit, but his father was too strong. 

“I’ve faced worse than both of you,” he said. He turned to leave, kicking Grey’s body out of the way. 



Grey pushed himself off the ground, ignoring the blood loss. He had to protect this kid. 

“Let me go!” Teddy cried.

Lisa was helpless on the ground, her leg wounded from her ex’s missed shot. She watched Grey rise slowly. Why didn’t he move sooner? All Lisa could do was drag herself over to the doorway and watch.



The kidnapper threw his son into the car, now it was safe for Grey to strike. So he did. The hunting knife embedded itself into his target's shoulder.


The man dropped his keys and turned to fight Grey. He threw a punch, missed. He fumbled for his gun, but Grey was quicker, he grabbed it first.

“You’re not shooting me again,” he said, pulling the stranger into a choke-hold.



The two were on the ground now, rolling over, and throwing punches. Grey had lost a lot of blood and was being overpowered. Lisa watched painfully. It was too dangerous to shoot. Why was she so useless. Then she saw the plan…

Grey was much more clever than she had thought. All this pain, for the moment of victory.




The intruder had Grey pinned now, or so he thought. It was almost time. As the stranger took the safety off his gun, Grey pulled the knife from his shoulder and stabbed him in the heart.

“You haven’t faced worse than me,” he said as the dead man’s full weight fell on him. “Hey Lisa, wanna call the cops and uh… maybe the ambulance now?” 




“I really, really can’t thank you enough,” Lisa said again.

“You already have,” Grey said.

“No, really,” she said. “If you ever need anything, heck, if you ever want anything, just ask okay?”

“Will it make you feel better if I say I will?” He asked.

“Yes,” she said.

“Then I will,” he said. “How’s the kid?”

“He’ll be fine, he’s just… scared,” she said.

“I would be too,” he said. “That was traumatizing. He’s brave though.” 

Grey got up. He had things to do now after being in the hospital for a few weeks.

“One last thing,” Lisa said. “Who are you really?”

“You already know the answer to that,” he said. “I’m Grey. A name’s just a label”

He stopped at the doorway.

“Tell the kid I said hi,” he said. “Also, if he ever hears 15 knocks at that door, it’s me.” 

“I will,” Lisa said, a small smile touching her lips. “We’d love to have you over, don't be a stranger."

Grey smiled too.

"I won't be."


July 14, 2021 01:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Keya J.
05:20 Dec 08, 2021

You left me pretty speechless there...just wow. I liked how you maintained your grip over the readers, intriguing them all way long. The descriptions are excellent. I loved the main idea behind it and the way the plot has been executed. Great story! I really loved it. Probably the best I have read all week :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.