0 comments

General

I can't believe it's finally happening. Me, simple ol' Jackson Moore, is going to college.

I was really surprised that I got into a college. Imagine my surprise when I found out the college was Harvard. I kinda have to thank my parents though; they were the ones that kinda-sorta forces me to apply to every single big college there was before I could think about going to one that was local or something. I am so excited, for the first week I couldn’t even sleep without thinking about what life would be like in Harvard! This was how excited I was. Imagine how excited my parents were. Only like a few days, even hours after I told them that I got in, they were both off boasting off to people that I had gotten into Harvard. I really liked it for a few days. But then it got annoying sometimes. But I still liked it.

Now, I know the way I make it sound, this is all fantastic and awesome and ‘wow I wish  I was you.’ But there is one… extremely hard thing about doing something like going to college. Its actually one word. 

“Goodbye.”

Now, If you’re lucky, you won’t have to say goodbye to your buddies and family for three years, unless you’re moving or something. But, when it comes time for you to leave, you definitely want to make the most of your last days before you have to go somewhere far away where you will probably not see your family or friends very frequently. And that’s why I’m writing this story. It’s so that I can share with you my experiences with my family and friends in my last days before going to college. 

The week after I got excepted, my buds threw me one of the best parties I’ve ever been to as a celebration for my acceptance. I had a blast and it was a good way to let off some stress I had been getting from thinking about what would happen if I wasn’t supposed to be there, or if they had mixed up my application with someone else’s. The highlight of the party was probably when we were playing pin the tail on the donkey as a joke and for the nostalgia of all of our childhood parties. So, the party was thrown at a barn that one of my friend’s family-owned, and some of the animals they had had to stay inside the barn because they were too much of a hassle to keep inside. This included My friend who owned the barn, Megan,’s pet donkey, Sparkles. (He’s a pretty chill dude. And he also likes carrots.) So what one of my other friends did-his name was Gary-was that he actually opened Sparkles gate, took Sparkles out, and stuck a tail on Sparkles’s behind. We all just stared at Gary and Sparkles for a moment, before bursting out laughing. After a bit more sodas and partying, we decided to call it a night and leave. 

They are my best friends and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. 

My parents also thew me a party. I didn’t mind, because who doesn’t like getting two parties? This one was more formal, but it wasn’t completely boring, as there was a makeshift dancefloor and I saw some people that I thought were old busting out some moves. But nothing, and repeat nothing, can get as crazy as pinning a velcro tail on an actual donkey. (That was an exaggeration; there are things that are crazier than that. Trust me, I know from experience.) So at the party, there were mostly just family friends, people who I only remember when I was really little, and people who used to change my diaper when I was two. It all reminded me of memories when I was little, like that time I hid from I had hidden from Mr.Jhonson, my childhood babysitter, and he thought I had gone missing, and he almost called 911, but then I came out from behind a shelf because I was hungry. 

This party was a blast too. I caught up with people I hadn’t seen in a few years and got even more praise for getting into such a good college. And it was hilarious when we watched Mrs.Samson (Turning 70 next year) dancing with Mr.Samson (Turning 75 this year).  

After a few weeks, the celebrations died down and it was reduced to people texting me a ‘congrats’. I had a few get-togethers as a  “congratulations!” but they weren’t as crazy as the two other parties I went to. Also, believe it or not, I got a text from someone I didn’t even know on Facebook that I had to give my ‘spot’ at Harvard for her daughter. 

I blocked the person after giving them a hard no.

But I was happy everything died down. I still had other stuff I had to clear up from school and things I needed to fill out for the college before I could actually go. But whenever I was free, I would spend time with my friends and family. I had to.

Going to college is bittersweet. Sure, it’s great and sweet to have all of the recognition and congratulations, but when all the excitement dies down, and you realize that you’re pretty much on your own (Not completely though), the bitter taste starts to show, whether it is the pressure of grades or financial problems. You can’t keep your apartment, or you flunk your test.

You’re lonely.

 All of these experiences are the life-sized equivalent of the bitter taste that you can’t get rid of in your mouth after eating a grapefruit. If you go to college but forget about the people in your childhood, you are going to be stuck with these bitter experiences.

That’  why it’s important you don’t completely forget about your childhood. Keep in touch with friends and family. Talk to them on a call. Hang out with them every once in a while when you are free. I bet they’ll give you the moral support you need when you have to experience these situations. 

August 03, 2020 17:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.