How I Learned To Love The Dragon

Submitted into Contest #217 in response to: Write a story about a warrior who doesn’t want to kill the dragon.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Friendship Fantasy

Upon the fiery mountain of Basgul, lay a blue-scaled dragon, that presented his teeth the size of a house, his breath that wielded fire and could wipe out a city with one huff and puff to anyone who dared cross his path. But these tales were told only of men from the city, Valanti. This city had been planning for many months now how to take down the dangerous dragon, in charge of the operation is Sander Morronis. The head of the guards that defended Valanti. Sander believed that this dragon posed a great threat to the city and he told the city of one night when he was on duty that it flew past the city, its wings flapping so hard it caused the wind to push Sander down, and the dragon's teeth, shining a reflection of the cities ruin. One warrior did not believe these tales told by Sander Morronis, instead, he thought they were exaggerations or lies completely. The warrior wanted to seek this dragon out on his own. To him, the dragon didn't sound like a threat and he believed that Sander wanted to slay a peaceful beast who had no problem with anyone because of the fame and riches he would acquire. This warrior wanted to seek out the blue-scaled dragon before Sander Morronis set out on his mission to slay it.

Dawn, the Warrior would almost be ready to gather his things and go out to find the beast, before looking outside and seeing that Sander's men have started on their path to Basgul Mountain, readying their weapons and armor. When seeing this, the Warrior realized that he would have to pack light and be fast. When leaving the house, the Warrior realized if he wanted to approach the dragon without appearing as a threat he would have to not carry any weapons the dragon would think would be used on him. The Warrior is now weaponless, leaving him open for Sander's men if they wished to think of him as a threat and strike him down. The Warrior packed his clothes, some bread, a bread knife, some ham, and some water. Though the Warrior also packed ale, though he does not drink. Leaving his house, The Warrior set out on his path and headed to Basgul Mountain, hoping to find its beauty.

At midday of the first day, The Warrior is at the bottom of the mountain, he is closer than Sander's men but he is still far from his goal. The Warrior must seek some fire for warmth and to eat something, he has walked 2 hours without stop. The Warrior places his bag down and opens it, revealing water, food, and ale, tightly packed in the corner. He takes out the water and drinks it, getting carried away by his thirst, he almost drinks the whole thing. He then wipes the water, surrounding his lips and places the water back into the bag. He then takes out the bread and ham and sits down, relaxing for a couple of moments before he starts his path up the mountain. He takes the bread and cuts it, slowly but surely, he does not want to waste any crumbs and does not want to waste any bread for the path up is cruel. He places the bread on an oak log, facing him, and then gets the ham which he starts cutting into small perfect circles. He has his sandwich now and he is proud of it. He has a fire in front of him that is bright. Though he isn't happy for too long as he hears Sander's men march closer and closer to the foot of the mountain. He finishes his perfect sandwich, packs his bag properly, wipes the breadcrumbs from his now-warm cheeks, and then looks up and sees that he will have to travel a good few more hours if he wants to find this beauty.

A good few more hours later the warrior has reached the middle of the mountain, he looks down and sees a good 50 torches alight, coming up the mountain, they are signaling war to the dragon. The Warrior can't make pitstops as he can almost hear the dragon's breaths, though they are not of fire. He has an idea to stop Sander's men coming closer, he will want time to inspect this dragon on his own and he cannot do so with the thought of 50 men's swords on the back of his mind. He also cannot inspect the dragon if the dragon thinks that he is with Sander's men. The Warrior has plans to use the ale he brought with him. He doesn't drink, but Sander's men do. As does Sander's but without a doubt, Sander's is not down with the 50 men he provided for the mission for he fears the dragon. The Warrior places the ale on the path and waits for some of Sander's men to arrive. Though there isn't enough for 50 men. The Warrior makes his way up the path a little then goes behind a tree, keeping watch on the ale that is in the middle of the road just down ahead.

A good 30 minutes later or so, The Warrior sees that the men edge closer, their torches still ablaze and their minds set. But not for long... One man notices the ale, drops his torch, and straight at it, the others see the ale and run towards it too. Sander's did not provide food or drink for these men, only the briefing of the mission. The first man picks the ale up and drinks it ferociously, the drink is almost finished before the other man grabs it out of his hand and drinks it the same way. 'Hey, I was drinkin' that!' The ferocious drinker shouted. The man does not respond but finishes the ale, his eyes glow as he's finally gotten something to drink. 'Others are thirsty too!' The second ferocious drinker replied back. Though now The Warrior will let them bicker amongst themselves as he drinks his water, smiling because he prepared for Basgul Mountain. The Warrior readies himself and he sets on the path, almost up.

Evening, The Warrior can hear the dragon's snores and does not wish to disturb him in his slumber for he will not want to be engulfed in flame, assuming Sander's was right, he can't risk it now. But he also can't wait for Sander's men to get there first since they will want to kill the dragon when it's most vulnerable. The Warrior sees the lair up ahead and decides that it might cost him his life but he will warn the dragon that the city of Valenti wager a war against him. The top of the mountain is not fiery but a beautiful green that attracts all nature, butterflies are seen, yellow and blue and red, all sorts of colors, and there is a stag feeding on the grass, it is healthy and smiles at The Warrior for the stag must know The Warrior brings no harm up here. The Warrior takes his steps and trots into the lair, hearing the dragon's snores, louder and louder as he approaches. He finally arrives at the Dragons Den and he can't describe the beauty but he can of the Dragon. The Dragon's blue scales are true, blue as the ocean and the summer sky, not one of terror. The dragon's wings are huge, yes but also do not seem the type to push anything down in any manner but a playful one. The Dragon sleeps soundly. The Warrior speaks. 'O Beautiful Dragon wake up, for terror is approaching this haven.' The Dragon snores. 'O Beautiful Dragon please awake, for you do not deserve to die.' The dragon snores. 'O Beautiful Dragon please awake for if you do not, the animals of this haven will perish from the terror that is coming.' The Dragon opens it's eyes, it does not care for itself but for the animals the dragon protects in the safe haven it has created. The pupils glow a bright blue similar to the color of sapphire. 'Dear Warrior, thank you for warning me of this terror that approaches. I thank you for not slaying me'

The Warrior lets out a smile similar to after he created his perfect sandwich. 'I cannot slay that which is precious to life itself.' The Dragon lets out a smile and stands on its blue legs. 'You passed the test of being human, appreciate this beauty for once when it's gone you cannot appreciate it the same way.' The Warrior takes a look around and appreciates the beauty of the place including the dragon itself. 'Now tell me when do these false humans approach to attempt to destroy this place?' The Dragon shouts. 'A mere hour away at most.' The Warrior responds. The Dragon rises in the air, his wings flapping furiously as he flies out of the lair. The Warrior steps outside and sees that the dragon carries all the animals on his back all secure now, away from terror. The Blue-Scaled Dragon takes a look at The Warrior and speaks a final time to him. 'Once I close my lair, no terror can come in. Nothing can be stolen from there for it is precious. Now go live your life, thank you, Warrior of Peace.' And with that the dragon flew into the starry sky, never to be seen again. That is how The Warrior of Peace learned to love the dragon not hate it.

September 23, 2023 14:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.