Hero

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

 Is it the alarm of the watch in my cellphone ringing ? – I asked myself cleaning the eye gunk with the tip of his index finger just a little before of a huge yawning with the first Ray’s of a shyly sun.

It is too early ! – watching the outside through the curtains of the window that was in front of me.

I opened my eyes, madly.

And the logical reaction was to curse no matter what or who.

What the hell !!! – I yelled with my mouth on my pillow - Today is Sunday !!! - and I looked for my glasses on the nightstand .

What time is it ? -  

What ? 

Six o’clock ?

No way ! – throwing the watch  away.

I covered my head with the blanket and stayed that way for some time, asking me why did it have to ring on a Sunday .

Why?

The answer came right away , as a , a strange voice came to my mind : you have to get your stuff ready .

Who is talking to me ? Stuff ? What stuff? 

And I started to ponder what it could be : for sure, it was not going to the church, as our family had never gone to the church in the morning.

Maybe…a friend? A camping day ? 

So, a light came to my mind : 

 yes! Now I remember! – and when that thought came to my mind, I just stood up very quickly, frightened with the running time that could not allow me to get ready.

So, more than quickly, I took my payback that was hanging behind the door of my bedroom, jump every two steps of the ladder to reach the kitchen as fast as I could, kitchen and fill the payback with food and bottles of water.

Is that all? Yes, I think so – I thought, going back to my bedroom, and looked for my hat and the camera – it has to be perpetuated to the whole eternity ! – I said.

-Wait ! Oh my ! But where But supposed to be my tent ?  - starting to think about the possible places that it could be: right! Is on the attic .

I will have to look for it without hubbub, as dad and mom might be still sleeping , as I listen to some snore coming from that room.

-Well, I think I have 

I climbed the stairs that led me to it. 

There, I realized that it was too dark.

I turned on the switch.

Once.

Twice.

Three times.

However, nothing happened.

Again.

And nothing happened , again ! 

-Damn ! - looking at my thorn index finger .

-The light switch must be out of order! – I concluded, in agony and a bit of desperation, as I would be wasting time, and probably be in danger of risking that promising wonderful day with my friends

- Holly Father, help me please! Tell me what to do !

So I went back to the kitchen, where my mother used to have some candles in the drawer of the cupboard.

Where are the matches? Here  next to the stove 

And went back to the attic with my candles lit.

I remember having put the candle on the floor.

But it was not really the floor, as it started to move.

What’s going on in here ? I shouted out loud. 

The floor of the attic started to open  in a flow of desintegration.

With my eyes widened and my body frozen in fear, I saw the tent, in front of me. 

Should I run to take it ? But , if I fall ? 

Or should I simply stay quiet where I was ?

What if the ladder falls and I cannot even go down and die here? 

The attic went darker.

Where is the candle ? Where are the matches? – starting to move my hands searching for them all around.

Nothing.

There was nothing nowhere.

I could only touch a wet surface on the wall where my back was on.

In a sudden I heard a strong noise followed by something that my nose could not identify. 

What is this smell? – scratching my nose, as that smell was irritating it.

The picture of a gas station came to my mind 

No kidding ! It is gasolone? Was the uproar I heard a fuel canister ? – looking at the lit candles in my hand.

Oh no ! It is gas ! The attic is going to explode!

What can I do ? – I asked loosing my control, and almost shedding tears, I fall down to my knees.

In that moment, I heard some sound coming from downstairs.

What could it be ,,,?

Was the floor vanishing from my feet ,,?

Or is it somebody coming ?

A pinch of hope rose in the darkness, as I saw the shadow of a body getting into the attic.

John! John ! – screamed the shadow - up to that moment  totally unknown shadow, a charade.

As a matter of fact, it started to come closer.

And I recognized the broad shoulders of my father.

His slow pace and heavy steps.

It must be him ! – I thought.

In desperation of dying roasted in the middle of a certain fire, I cried : 

- Dad ! 

- John! Little John! Are you there? – fortunately he answered to me.

- Yes, dad! I am here! Near the light switch!

- Right. I am just beside you.

And he hugged me, and took me in his arms, taking me to downstairs.

Mom, afflicted, was waiting for me, with a blanket in her hands.

She covered me with it, while hugging me and kissing my forehead and setting my hair aside.

- Are you ok, dear ? 

- Yes mom, nothing happened. 

- What were you doing there? Why did you go there?

- I was looking for my tent – I said, calm but a bit touched by nervousness – but there was no light,  so I took the candle and the matches, so.i could get it.

But, I heard some racket.

- Were you scared, dear ? - asked mom, still hugging me.

- A bit - knacking.

- Son, you should have told me beforehand to take the tent for you.

- Well, I almost forgot the appointment I had.

- I am going to take it for you – and he went back into the attic, bringing the tent in less than a minute.

- Here you are. – and he gave it to me.

Now, I think you are a bit late. I will take you there.

- Thanks, dad !

So he took me to the camp site, in the middle of the woods hidden in the valley ten miles away from home.

Fortunately, I arrived on time.

My Friends, three of the, were waiting for me , at the entrance of the camp site.

- Have it, son - my dad gave me a hundred dollars bill , to spend in , believe it or not, ice-cream!

For sure,  dad was my personal and real hero on that beautiful Sunday.

June 27, 2020 23:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.