1 comment

Adventure Contemporary Fiction

Emma adjusted her camera, framing the dilapidated barn against the setting sun. The golden hour cast long shadows across the overgrown field, creating the perfect ambiance for her rural decay photo series. As she clicked the shutter, a twig snapped behind her.

She whirled around, heart racing. A man stood at the edge of the clearing, hands raised placatingly.

"Sorry, didn't mean to startle you," he said, offering a disarming smile. "I'm Jake. I own this property."

Emma lowered her camera, embarrassment replacing fear. "Oh! I'm so sorry. I should have asked permission before—"

Jake waved off her apology. "No worries. It's nice to see someone appreciating the old place." He nodded toward her camera. "You're a photographer?"

"Yeah," Emma replied, relaxing slightly. "I'm working on a series about abandoned rural structures. Your barn is stunning in this light."

Jake's eyes lit up. "Well, if you're interested, there's an old farmhouse just over that rise. It's been empty for decades – might be perfect for your project."

Emma hesitated. The light was fading, and she'd planned to head back to town. But the promise of an unexplored location was too tempting to pass up.

"Lead the way," she said, gathering her equipment.

As they walked, Jake asked about her photography, and Emma found herself opening up. There was something easy about his manner, a gentle curiosity that put her at ease.

"So, what brought you out here?" Emma asked as they crested the hill.

A shadow passed over Jake's face, so fleeting she almost missed it. "Oh, just checking on the property. I don't get out here as often as I should."

Before Emma could probe further, the farmhouse came into view. It was a weathered Victorian, paint peeling and shutters hanging askew. Emma's fingers itched for her camera.

"It's perfect," she breathed.

Jake grinned. "Thought you'd like it. Go ahead, I'll wait out here."

Emma approached the house, snapping photos of the exterior before gingerly testing the porch steps. They creaked but held her weight. The front door swung open with a gentle push.

Inside, dust motes danced in the fading sunlight streaming through grimy windows. Emma moved from room to room, capturing peeling wallpaper and abandoned furniture. In what must have been a child's bedroom, a decrepit rocking horse stood sentinel in the corner.

As she framed her shot, movement caught her eye. She lowered the camera, squinting. For a moment, she could have sworn she saw a small figure dart past the doorway.

"Hello?" she called, pulse quickening. Silence answered.

Shaking off the eerie feeling, Emma continued her exploration. In the kitchen, she found an old refrigerator, its door hanging open. Curiosity piqued, she peered inside.

Her blood ran cold.

Fresh food lined the shelves – milk, eggs, vegetables. This house wasn't abandoned at all.

Emma's mind raced. Who was living here? And who was Jake really?

She turned to flee and found Jake blocking the doorway, his earlier warmth replaced by steely determination.

"I was hoping you wouldn't notice that," he said quietly.

Emma's hand tightened on her camera strap, ready to use it as a weapon if necessary. "Who are you? What is this place?"

Jake sighed, shoulders sagging. "I told you the truth – I do own this property. What I didn't tell you is why I'm here."

A floorboard creaked upstairs. Jake's eyes flicked toward the sound, then back to Emma. "I'm protecting someone," he said. "Someone who needs to stay hidden."

Emma's fear warred with her curiosity. "Hidden from what?"

Jake studied her for a long moment, as if weighing how much to reveal. Finally, he stepped aside, gesturing for her to follow him upstairs.

Heart pounding, Emma climbed the stairs. Jake led her to a closed door at the end of the hall. He knocked softly.

"Mia? It's okay. You can come out."

The door creaked open, revealing a young woman with haunted eyes. She clutched a toddler to her chest, the child's face buried in her shoulder.

"This is my sister," Jake explained. "And my nephew, Tyler."

Mia regarded Emma warily. "Who is she? Why did you bring her here?"

"It's alright," Jake soothed. "Emma's a photographer. She was taking pictures of the barn, and I... I guess I wanted someone else to know. To understand."

Emma's mind whirled, piecing together the fragments. "You're hiding from someone," she said to Mia. It wasn't a question.

Mia nodded, her grip on Tyler tightening. "My ex-husband. Tyler's father."

"He was abusive," Jake added, his voice hard. "Mia finally got the courage to leave, but he's relentless. He's a cop, so he's got resources. We couldn't risk going through official channels for protection."

"So you brought them here," Emma finished.

Jake nodded. "It was our grandparents' house. I inherited it years ago but never did anything with the place. Seemed like the perfect hiding spot."

Emma's gaze traveled between the siblings, then to the child in Mia's arms. This was bigger than her abandoned building project. This was life and death.

"I'm so sorry," she said softly. "I didn't mean to intrude on this. I'll go, and I promise I won't tell anyone—"

"Wait," Mia interrupted. She looked at Jake. "Maybe... maybe she can help."

Jake's brow furrowed. "Mia, we can't ask her to get involved. It's too dangerous."

But Mia's eyes were alight with a desperate hope. "You're a photographer," she said to Emma. "You must know how to document things, right? Evidence?"

Understanding dawned. Emma nodded slowly. "I do. I've worked with domestic violence shelters before, helping survivors document injuries and unsafe living conditions."

"That's what we need," Mia said urgently. "Something to take to the authorities, to prove what he did. Jake's been hesitant to try because of the risk, but... we can't live like this forever."

Emma glanced at Jake, seeing the conflict on his face. She made a decision.

"I want to help," she said firmly. "If you'll let me."

Over the next few hours, as night fell, Emma worked with Mia to document everything. Old text messages, voicemails, photos of healed injuries. Emma showed her how to organize it all, how to build a case that even a corrupt department couldn't ignore.

As Mia put an exhausted Tyler to bed, Emma and Jake stood on the porch, the weight of the evening settling between them.

"I'm sorry I deceived you," Jake said quietly.

Emma shook her head. "You were protecting your family. I understand."

They lapsed into silence, gazing at the star-filled sky. Finally, Emma spoke. "What you're doing – it's incredible. Brave."

Jake's laugh was tinged with bitterness. "Doesn't feel brave. Feels like running."

"It's not running when you're saving lives," Emma countered. She hesitated, then added, "I meant what I said. I want to help, beyond just tonight. I have contacts, people who can make sure Mia and Tyler stay safe while the case is built."

Jake turned to her, surprise and gratitude warring in his expression. "Why would you do that? You don't even know us."

Emma thought of the rocking horse in the abandoned room, of Tyler's innocent face, of the fear that still lingered in Mia's eyes. "Because it's the right thing to do," she said simply.

In that moment, standing in the darkness with a man who had begun the evening as a stranger, Emma felt the trajectory of her life shift. Her abandoned buildings project suddenly seemed trivial compared to the real story unfolding before her – a story of survival, of family, of finding allies in unexpected places.

As if reading her thoughts, Jake smiled – a genuine smile that reached his eyes. "I'm glad you decided to photograph that old barn today."

Emma returned the smile, feeling the first stirrings of a connection that transcended their unusual meeting. "Me too."

Together, they walked back into the house, ready to face whatever challenges the dawn might bring.

September 06, 2024 22:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Esther Aardsma
00:43 Sep 15, 2024

Very nice! Good job building the suspense...and I liked that it didn't veer off into some sort of horror haha. I found it to be a good level of description, painting a vivid picture without being too melodramatic or heavyhanded. Good pacing, too. Keep up the good work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.