30 comments

Sad Fiction

I like this boy. He seems like he cares. Once a week he comes to my room and talks to me about his life. He plans to be a personal support worker. I think he would make a good one. 


After I was diagnosed with this disease I had visitors for a while. My wife, kids, relatives, and old friends. My company now includes a runny meal a few times a day, a bitter instant coffee in the mornings, and the occasional seagull perched on my windowsill.


The boy’s name is Ethan. He’s a good kid, a volunteer at the long-term care home I live in. I can sense he means well. From the way he smiles at me, how he positions my television so I can see it better, and the careful way that he draws back my curtains so I have a view of the clouds from my wheelchair.


“So you look alert today!” Ethan says.


I try to nod. I hope he sees it.


“Well, if you just sit there all day you won’t get to run around under those lovely clouds out there!” he jokes.


I smile in my mind. He knows I think it’s funny. I like his energy. It brightens the dull days I tend to have more often than not. I watch as he glides across the room. His steps are brisk and he moves with purpose. I see how his legs grace the floor, like a dance.


“So I talked to my mum last night,” He grins. “She says being a support worker isn’t the best career for me. It doesn’t pay well. And she says I’ll need the money. She thinks if I go into business like my brothers, maybe get a job at a bank somewhere, it will be better for me.”


Ethan talks about this topic often. He is torn between pursuing his passion for helping people and making a good living. It was a cliche. Why is there always this dilemma? Between doing what your passion is and making a living? Why can’t it be simpler than this?


“What do you think I should do?” He looks at me, patiently awaiting a response. “Just kidding,” he winks.


There’s something about him that reminds me of my youth. In those days, I was alive and full of spirit. I had the whole world in front of me, a future laid out, with dreams larger than the tallest mountains. I worked hard, had ambition; and drank and savored all of my hearts’ thirsts. Life was good. 


Then it all sank into an oblivion like a cinder block in a black, bottomless ocean.


*


It started with my legs. I was walking with my wife on a beautiful day. The sun shone high in the empty pale blue sky. A gentle stream meandered in the woods beside our well-worn earthen trail. The chickadees and blue jays sang songs in the early days of spring. I could hear the soft wind, rustling the vibrant green leaves of the maples and oaks, as our feet plodded along the damp earth. We loved to walk, especially on trails in the serene landscapes near our farmstead home. 


Today was different. My legs felt tired and weak. It was as if overnight their veins had been injected with liquid lead. Occasionally, I would stumble on our walks. It was common to trip over an unseen root or rock. This morning it was as if every step required a meditative level of attention.


At first, I thought I had just danced too much the night before. We had spun the last night away at my youngest daughter’s wedding. It was a glorious evening, full of fun, laughter, and emotion. I remember winking at my son, and exchanging grins with my older daughter, as I twirled my wife in a pirouette in her flowing emerald dress. My youngest daughter looked as radiant as a summer sky. Her newlywed husband, smiling from ear to ear, looked like a young prince plucked straight from the pages of a fairy tale. It was the last evening I would ever feel normal again.


I remember walking, the earthy trail beneath my feet. The smell of fresh-bloomed flowers in spring. The glowing warmth of the beaming sun on my face. And then, a leaden foot striking stone as I fell to meet the hard earth below. 


I never fall.


*


Three months later and a short man in a white coat who looked too young to be a doctor — one of those Dougie Howser types — sat across from me and delivered my death sentence. Lou Gehrig’s Disease, or ALS for the scientific folk — some long name that I still can’t pronounce. Not that I could pronounce anything anyway. I can’t speak. My words come out as garbled as a one-year-old’s with a mouth full of organic mushy sweet potato.


“mmfhmam”


“gbamfmfhh”


 I guess that’s one of the problems with this disease. You can’t talk to anyone. You can listen, but what good is listening if you can’t talk back? 


Talking, now that was something I was good at — the public speaking championships I won, the debate contests I conquered, and the countless conferences I ran to sway the opinions of everyone around me. I had succeeded for the simple reason that I could deliver words and communicate my grand ideas. It’s incredible how much life can change when you lose this ability.


The loss of the use of my legs, that I could take. I felt the sting, but after a while, I could tolerate it. But talking, that was my lifeline. And to take that away was a gash in my abdomen, where no bandage could cease the slow flow of life-supporting blood.


The doctor told me the average survival time is three years. Unfortunately, I’ve been breathing in this chair for over ten. After I hit the ten-year mark, the doctor said I could even make it to twenty.


Twenty years.


Before, that would have been a blessing. Now, it was a prison sentence.


*


I remember the last time I saw my wife. Her brows were furrowed, her mouth razor thin.


“You have single-handedly destroyed this entire family.” She told me. Not an ounce of cheer stemmed from her blunt voice.


I recall trying to say something. Trying to reply. But the words wouldn’t come. I remember trying to scribble the words onto the page in front of me. My hand shook uncontrollably as the pen drew a snaking letter “I” across the page. She didn’t wait for me to finish. Looking up, I saw her flowing dark hair glint in the light for the last time as she turned to leave.


I think back to the final moment my kids visited. The three of them standing in front of me, sadness etched on their faces. An air of discontent and animosity spread like leaking gas to fill the corners of the room.


“Dad, what were you thinking? Look at the trouble you have put us in,” My youngest daughter said, her face aghast with disappointment. “Mom doesn’t want to see you anymore.”


“Us too dad, this is it. We can’t see you anymore,” my son said, his shoulders slumped like a wet rag. “The damage is done. There’s no coming back from this.”


I remember attempting to call out, to explain everything, to let them know everything was a misunderstanding. And the sounds that emanated from my throat instead.


“Mfmhmuf”


I recall seeing the back of their coats as they vanished behind the door; hearing the sounds of their boots echoing down the hall as they left me in my chair alone.


I can remember the last day my best friend and business partner visited me in my room. We had been through it all together, from frequenting pubs as roommates in college, to standing beside each other as we took our wedding vows, to building our business together from a scrappy start-up to a worldly behemoth. He was there for me as much as my family was during the roller coaster of the last few years. The only one left that continued to visit me when no one else would. 


His coarse black hair was speckled with gray and his aging face looked worn and tired. He looked at me behind black-rimmed spectacles with eyes that wore a longing sadness wishing things could have been different.


“I’m sorry my friend,” he said. “This is it. My family needs me and I can’t continue making these visits. It’s not in the best interest of both of us.”


My voice croaked. Why did it have to be this way? If I could just tell him what I wanted to say.


I remember the gaping hole that I felt after that day. The loneliness that followed. Those long years of solitude and emptiness. I didn’t need to be sentenced to prison, no matter what the public cried out. I was already in a cell behind bars.


*


It’s still astonishing how you can go from being the director of one of the world’s largest energy companies to a cripple with no wife, friends, or kids. That was the thing. No matter how hard you worked, how much ambition you had, or how successful you were, if you didn’t do things right, eventually it would all come tumbling down. You would think that when your world collapsed, the people you loved would stay with you. That even if your character failed, they could see that what you were doing was for them. 


Was it for them? I still ask myself this question. They didn’t see that it was. They all left, and disappeared into the wind, like mist.

I guess I had it coming for me. It’s funny how it all happens at once. When the scandals at the company surfaced after my illness, the public started to realize who I really was as a person. The destruction of livelihoods and entire communities from the bad decisions I made. The unethical dealings and political corruption I was implicated in. The lawsuits that emerged that nearly bankrupted me and my family. The falsehoods that I buried from everyone that I knew. Some say I really deserved the ensuing social humiliation and rejection.


Maybe I was a bad person. It’s strange how you start out with good intentions and want the best for yourself and your family, and then see your character crumble as you chase things that you never really wanted to begin with. How what you thought you wanted in your youth slowly changes color like a chameleon until you no longer recognize your former self. How the people around you — going through the same bitter thing, trying to climb the never-ending ladder of ambition — reinforce the very thing you need to turn from.


And the lessons you learn, you can’t tell them to the people in front of you. The next generation. That’s the most painful part. I have realized I made mistakes. It took me a long time. Long enough that everyone I love is gone. I couldn’t make the apologies I wanted to make. And I sit here in a wheelchair looking out at a cloudy sky, with a boy named Ethan who has all the hopes and dreams for a lifetime. I want to reach out and tell him. I want to grab him by the arm and shake him. 


“Be a good person.”


“Stay true to who you are.”


“Be there for those you love.”


But all I can do is sit, try to nod, and let life pass, hoping to make twenty years, ten. 

December 24, 2022 00:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

Molly Layne
15:13 Dec 30, 2022

I loved it! A wonderful, touching story and you did an excellent job of writing it.

Reply

V. S. Rose
19:11 Dec 30, 2022

Thank you for reading it Molly Layne! I'm so grateful for your comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
04:46 Dec 30, 2022

Great story. My emotions went on a rollercoaster. A story with a moral. I note you so far have only one submission - let's hope for more.

Reply

V. S. Rose
19:10 Dec 30, 2022

Thank you so much Stevie! Stay tuned because there will definitely be more. I am glad you enjoyed my story and thank you for your great feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Lehnert
03:20 Dec 30, 2022

This is good. Mary

Reply

V. S. Rose
19:08 Dec 30, 2022

Thank you Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raey Kubiak
03:17 Dec 30, 2022

This is a very strong take. It flows in an effortless manner and never allows the reader to disengage. A very unfortunate disease and a divine justice for past mistakes merge together in a very moving narrative. Congratulations, well done.

Reply

V. S. Rose
19:08 Dec 30, 2022

Much gratitude for spending the time to read my story Raey. I agree with you. One of the ideas I was hoping to convey was that we can still feel sympathy for even the supposed worst people. Where do we draw the line with someone who has committed wrongs and yet they have had the upbringing to lead them to those wrongs? When we humanize a villain and see the threads that lead him to his villainhood, what is the right emotion to marshal? I agree that justice and punishment is required in these instances to protect society from these people...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
03:04 Dec 30, 2022

Hi V.S., wow. This story is phenomenal. I am blown away by writers like you who debut their first story and it is this good. The first line was intriguing, but kind of misleading (in a good way). I expected it to be an entirely different story, a romance of sorts. But this is no romance, but a tragedy, and perhaps a warning, about how life can change without your control, so be true to yourself always. This story is about regrets and illness and loss, karma and despair even have their role here. This was more than I was expecting, and I'm s...

Reply

V. S. Rose
18:50 Dec 30, 2022

Thank you so much for your great feedback Annie Marie. I'm glad you could connect with the themes and morals I was trying to deliver. I find there is a shift in society, where people in greater numbers, are adopting a lens of moral relativism. The idea that someone can hold a belief and we all must honor that belief regardless of its content. Clearly there are right answers to moral questions and I think we can find those answers by acknowledging what we all intuitively know is wrong. These intuitions are our common value system as human...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
S N
03:04 Dec 30, 2022

I really like the message of this story. There are so many things that congratulate and reward individuals for shady choices, and this is not that. It really makes you understand what he wants to say to this young kid, Ethan and why it's so important because he knows what hes talking about. He has lived it, and he is living longer than he would like with the price of it. Had you come out and said exactly why this boy should make the choice to live with love at the beginning, it would not have had the same weight so I thought you made a goo...

Reply

V. S. Rose
18:27 Dec 30, 2022

Thank you Sasha! I appreciate that you enjoyed how I structured the story and the messaging I was attempting to deliver. Much gratitude for taking the time to read it and providing your valuable take on my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:04 Dec 30, 2022

This is so sad, but so important for us all to think about - it is horrifying to suddenly be ill and feel helpless - and all of a sudden, everyone just fades away. good one!

Reply

V. S. Rose
18:23 Dec 30, 2022

I couldn't agree more with you Patricia. I was hoping to convey these feelings in my story and glad you could appreciate it. Thank you for reading and providing some commentary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelly Sibley
02:16 Dec 30, 2022

Oh, how sad. But very well written. I was hooked by the very first paragraph. Well Done!

Reply

V. S. Rose
18:20 Dec 30, 2022

Thank you Kelly! I'm happy that you liked it. Thank you so much for taking the time to read it and give me feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lisa Cornell
09:49 Feb 09, 2023

I really enjoyed this story. So much so I feel bad for him that he didn't get a chance to speak up for himself. Wonderful message in this story.

Reply

V. S. Rose
01:10 Feb 10, 2023

Thank you Lisa🙂! I appreciate you taking the time to read and leave a comment. Welcome to Reedsy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emma Ponn
14:45 Jan 07, 2023

This story had me in its jaws from beginning to end. Your skillful reveal of his loss and mistakes is just golden. We never find out what exactly he did, but it doesn’t matter, because we can draw conclusions from the people around him. The way he evolved from bitter about his “prison sentence” to introspective and hopeful for another twenty years was simple but beautiful. Nice work!

Reply

V. S. Rose
20:13 Jan 07, 2023

Thanks for reading and your comments Emma! It's amazing to have such great feedback from helpful members of this community like you. Appreciated!🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Ann Ford
12:30 Jan 07, 2023

Wow! You almost had me crying. Good job!

Reply

V. S. Rose
20:10 Jan 07, 2023

Thank you Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
01:36 Jan 07, 2023

I wish my first story on here had been this powerful. You capture the sense of regret and the knowledge that people have to make their own mistakes. You capture the way life corrupts people very well.

Reply

V. S. Rose
20:10 Jan 07, 2023

Thank you Graham! It means alot you took the time to read it and gave me some good feedback. Glad to have supportive people like you on here👍

Reply

Graham Kinross
20:20 Jan 07, 2023

The same to you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:27 Jan 06, 2023

This is such a sad, moving story, and so illuminating at the same time. The wrongdoer gets what he acknowledges he had coming, yet as a reader you can relate to him and feel the pain of losing everything that matters in life—health, social esteem, the sympathy of your loved ones. And the reason is not revealed until its due time. A well written story from beginning to end. Congratulations, V. S.

Reply

V. S. Rose
22:12 Jan 06, 2023

Thank you so much Gerardo. Often, life can be hard. The places that people end up are unfortunate. I think being able to marshal the emotion of sympathy for even our worst citizens can go a long way once we understand their circumstances. It allows us to deal with their situation from a higher place. I really appreciate your feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eugen Lavole
10:13 Jan 02, 2023

My husband was diagnosed with ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) when he was 61 years old 2 years ago. The Rilutek (riluzole) did very little to help him. The medical team did even less. His decline was rapid and devastating. His arms weakened first, then his hands and legs. Last year, a family friend told us about Health Herbs Clinic (HHC) and their successful ALS TREATMENT, we visited their website www. healthherbsclinic. com and ordered their ALS/MND Formula, i am happy to report the treatment effectively treated and reversed his Amyotro...

Reply

V. S. Rose
22:56 Jan 02, 2023

Thanks for sharing your story Eugen. It's a very tough disease and I'm very glad your husband had the recovery that he did. Both you and him are quite lucky!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Roger Scypion
19:51 Feb 01, 2023

Reads like a Greek tragedy, excellent story. In the end message, something we all should do. Kudos!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.