Blue Light

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about a person who collects superhero comics.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Adam quickened his pace but the fourth grader wouldn’t leave him alone. He groaned before turning around. The girl was caught by surprise and fell on the ground, leaves crunching underneath her and her backpack. 

“I don’t care what you think you saw, Charlie. Whatever it was, it never happened.” Adam said, helping Charlie up from the forest ground. “Just please go home.” Charlie responded by shoving a yellow comic book in his face. Without looking at the title, Adam already knew which one it was.  

The Mind Bender.” Adam said and Charlie smiled. 

“Good, you remember.” She turned to a page that depicted a muscular man in yellow tights. A metal helmet encased his head and blue rays shot from his hands, stopping a car in midair as pedestrians scurried away. Adam scoffed and pushed the comic away. 

“That’s enough, Charlie.” Adam said as he walked between the pine trees, hoping that the sudden incline of the trail would distract Charlie from her thoughts. It didn’t. 

“Three months.” Charlie shouted into the trees. She shook her head in disbelief. “Three months you’ve been babysitting me, and you never cared to mention that you were a super-” 

“You never said why you were in the woods.” Adam cut her off. Silence. Adam frowned as they hiked up the trail. Now she doesn’t want to talk, he thought before trying again. “Come on Charlie.” He looked at her, a fourth grader with blue overalls and a yellow comic book in her clenched hands. “At least tell me why those kids were chasing you. I can’t just tell your parents that I randomly found you out here all alone.” 

Charlie looked up from her yellow comic book. “Because then you would have to admit that the real reason you were out here was to secretly train to be a superhero?” She asked hopefully. 

Adam sighed and held his hands up in defeat. “Fine, you can just tell them yourself.” They had reached the end of the trail, the forest to their backs and brick houses in front of them. The sky was getting dark, the last trails of pink and purple quickly fading away. Adam took off his backpack and pulled out his skateboard. “Here, better get home fast.” 

Charlie huffed, slipping The Mind Bender into her backpack, clearly not wanting her interrogation to end. 

Adam raised a brow. “Unless, you forgot all those lessons I taught you.” 

“You wish.” Charlie said as she confidently stood on the skateboard. She skated off the sidewalk and onto the empty streets. “And this is not the end of this conversation, Adam.” She called out as she skated to her house. 

After watching Charlie turn around the corner, Adam looked around the empty neighborhood before slowly stretching his hands in front of him. Blue light zapped from his fingertips, enveloping a twig a few feet away. He had seen it do this before, but his heart still hammered in his chest as the twig lifted off the ground and hovered in mid-air. 

A black Mercedes zoomed past Adam. Adam jolted back, quickly clenching his hands. The twig swiftly dropped to the ground. 

The entire way home Adam had his fists in his pockets. He tried to forget about what had just happened, what kept happening ever since last month, when he had woken up to blue light flashing out of his hands, his bed floating in the middle of his room. But all he could think about was Charlie’s yellow comic book. The Mind Bender, Adam thought as he hurried home. That couldn’t possibly be him...A man in tight pants, saving people from danger? No, Adam shook his head. That’s insane...that isn’t me, he said to himself and quickened his pace to the point where he was practically running back home. That isn’t me, that isn’t me. 

Charlie’s mom sat in the passenger seat, a makeup bag in her lap. 

“How about soccer then, pumpkin?” Charlie’s mom asked, carefully lining her eyebrows. “I heard from Patty’s mom that practically all the girls are on the team.” 

Charlie responded with silence, eyes glued to the pages of The Mind Bender vs. The Time Lord. It was a special time traveling edition that Adam had gifted her during winter break. She remembered coming back home, crying and gasping for breath as Benny and his friends had chased her to her front door. She didn’t answer Adam’s questions when her parents left for dinner, but the next day, she had found the yellow comic book on her bed, wrapped up in a clumsy bow. Finn, the clerk at Cosmic Comics, traded The Mind Bender vs. The Time Lord for one of Adam’s mint editions. Charlie had tried to give the comic back, but Adam had waved her off. “It’s no big deal, kid.” He had said. Charlie waited till school started again to read the comic book. Reading filled the time during lunch and recess. 

Charlie’s mom cleared her throat. “Charlie.” She said sharply. Charlie reluctantly looked up. “What do you think?” Her mom asked. 

“About what?” Charlie said and her mom sighed, hitting her husband on the arm. The car swerved.

“You can’t just do that, Margret, I’m concentrating on the road.”

“Well excuse me for wanting to help our daughter socialize with her classmates.” Charlie’s mom huffed, applying lipstick to her puckered lips. “And I blame you by the way, for introducing those distracting comic books into her life.” She glanced at Charlie from the rearview mirror. Charlie glared back. “Look what they’ve done to her.” 

Charlie’s dad laughed. “She’s reading, Margret. She’s not smoking or hanging out with boys. We should be encouraging her.” 

“You’re right, we should be encouraging our Charlie to grow up alone with no one to talk to.” 

“So what? You want her to hang out with strangers? Smoke and stay up all night like every other teenager on our block?” 

“Oh come on, when I was Charlie’s age, I had friends for miles. We hung out every night and I turned out fine.” 

Charlie’s dad gave a small laugh, turning the corner into the carpool lane of Evergreen Middle School. “Of course you did.” He muttered. 

Charlie’s mom turned from the sun visor, staring daggers at her husband. “That’s it.” She turned to her daughter. “Charlie, you’re going to soccer practice right after school.” 

“What?” Charlie shook her head. She desperately looked at her dad, but his eyes were fixed on the road, his white knuckles strangling the steering wheel. 

“Now, practices are after school, so you won’t need a babysitter anymore.” Charlie’s mom said, her fingers scrolling through her contacts until she found Adam’s name. Charlie quickly grabbed the phone and opened the car door, landing on the sidewalk. “You can’t fire him, mom. Adam’s my friend.” Charlie defended. 

Charlie’s mom stepped out of the car, ignoring the honking cars behind her. “Charlie Rose Palmer, you will give me back my phone this instant.” She said through gritted teeth. Charlie took a step back. 

“Mom, please.” Charlie begged. The bell rang. Kids began to pack into Evergreen Middle School, making a wide berth around Charlie and her mom. 

“Enough, Charlie. Adam is in high school, I’m sure he will be thrilled to have the extra time to himself.”

“He’s my only friend, mom.” Charlie said desperately. She thought about what happened yesterday. The flash of blue light and the spiral of leaves that flew around Adam’s head. Charlie didn’t care if Adam didn’t really have superpowers. He still taught her how to skateboard around her cul-de-sac. He rented Marvel movies whenever her parents had to work late. 

Charlie looked at her mom. Her mom could easily use her dad’s phone to fire Adam and Charlie would still be forced to go to soccer practice after school. Whoever Adam was, she wasn’t him. She stared fearfully into her mom’s eyes and wasn’t even brave enough to walk away. Instead, she gave her back her phone and slowly walked up the stairs to school. 

You’re not a superhero, she thought as she stopped in front of her classroom. You can’t even save your only friend from danger. She pulled out the yellow comic book. Adam had placed a sticker on the plastic cover, with Charlie’s name as the proud owner of The Mind Bender vs. The Time Lord. She looked at the comic book one last time before throwing it in the trash and walking into the classroom. That isn’t me, that isn’t me.

A bottle fell on the floor. Adam froze. The house was dark, the only light coming from the television in the living room. The beer bottle rolled across the wood floors, stopping at the kitchen table. Adam glanced at his mom, passed out on the floral ottoman. She had come home in tears, before throwing another pity party for herself. “It’s this damn economy, Adam. There just aren’t enough jobs for people like us.” She had said before opening the fridge for another bottle. 

Adam had gotten the phone call from Mrs. Palmer in between classes. He had gone to the nurse, lied about a stomach ache and was sent home. It wasn’t just the generous pay the Palmers gave him, it was also Charlie. He really thought that he was her friend, not just her babysitter.

Adam glanced at his mom and then at the pile of bills on the kitchen counter. He went to his room, pulling out the mint editions of his favorite comic books. He didn’t even know if Cosmic Comics was opened, but he had to do something. Hurriedly, Adam shoved the comic books in his bag.

Blue light glowed from his palms. Adam furled his hands. Normally it would go away, but lately the light lingered, trying to reach out and grab onto the nearest object. This time it was his backpack, which flew above his head, just out of his reach. 

Adam cursed and swatted at his bag but the light was persistent. The zipper was undone and his phone hit him in his face. 

“Are you seriously going to do this? Right now?” Adam whispered. The blue light responded by shaking his backpack, letting the rest of its contents fall onto the floor. Adam held back a frustrated scream. The blue light escaped his hands and spun around the room. “That’s it.” Adam said and opened his closet door. Hurriedly the blue light flashed across his walls, but Adam ignored it, slipping a pair of red, wool gloves. The light quickly went out and his room was dark once more. 

“Finally.” Adam muttered and began to pack up his things. Before heading out of his room, he heard a buzz at his feet. His phone. Adam cursed at himself for being so forgetful. Under his gloves, the blue light glowed in agreement. “Oh shut up.” Adam muttered before picking up his phone. Five missed calls. All from Charlie. Adam promptly shut his phone off and shoved his gloved hands into his pockets. It was time to go. 

“Oh come on Finn, you’ve been talking my ear off about this comic for weeks!” Adam sat on the stool in Cosmic Comics. A tall, lanky teenage boy sat on the floor across from Adam, stacking up new inventory onto metal shelves. 

“It’s damaged.” Finn said with a yawn. 

“How about half?” Adam tried, his feet tapping the carpeted ground. 

Finn wiped the sleep from his eyes and stood up. “You know I would if I could, Adam.” Finn sighed and passed back Adam’s unzipped backpack, spilling the rest of the comic books on the ground. 

“They’re all special editions.” Finn murmured and pushed his hair back in disbelief. “You were going to sell all of these? Adam, what’s going on...I thought you were going to give these Charlie-” 

“Why don’t you just mind your damn business, Finn?” Adam glared at the comic book clerk. And then the front window shattered. “What the hell!” Adam cried and pulled Finn behind the check-out counter. Shards of glass crunched beneath their feet. 

“Come out, come out, Charlie!” A teenager yelled. Three teenagers started to climb into the broken window. “We know you're in here, nerd.” 

“Get the hell out of here, or you’re going to be sorry!” Adam jumped, having to hold his hand against his mouth to stop himself from screaming. Charlie stayed crouched underneath the counter, her finger to her lips. 

“The Charlster, what are you doing here?” Finn whispered and flinched as a shelf was pushed over. “Care to explain why three teenagers are breaking into my dad’s comic book store?” 

Charlie looked away. “My parents were trying to give Adam his last paycheck. The school didn’t know where you were.” She glanced at Adam. “I didn’t know where you were, so I went to the only place I could think you would be. And then those jerks followed me here.” 

Benny yelled and took the rock from Richie, the other teenager, chucking it at the wall of comic books. “Come on, Charlie! We just want to ask you about your little book.” Adam caught a blur of yellow in Benny’s hands. 

“The Mind Bender versus the Time Lord?” Adam asked incredulously before turning to Charlie. “You gave it away?” 

“No, I threw it away.” She said sharply. “I play soccer now remember? I don’t have time for children’s books.” Adam saw tears welling up in her eyes. “I couldn’t even stop my mom from firing you, Adam. I’m not a superhero.” Charlie’s voice was small now, barely a whisper. “I’m not even a good friend.” 

Suddenly, Charlie felt Adam’s arms wrap around her. “You just dropped everything to find me.” Adam said, leaning back. “You’re a great friend.” 

Finn cleared his throat. “Glad you two are all buddy buddy, but can we get back to getting these kids out of the shop!” 

“Right.” Charlie smiled and wiped her tears. “Wait, what’s that smell?”

Benny held a lit match over the pages of the yellow comic book. “You better get out here, Charlie” Richie and Caleb laughed as the flames caught onto the pages. 

“They’re going to burn down the shop!” Finn yelled. 

“Not if I can help it.” Adam smiled and took off his wool gloves. The blue light burst from his palms. 

“Oh my god!” Finn cried out.

Charlie giggled. “I knew it.” She turned to Finn. “I knew he had superpowers!” Finn looked as pale as a ghost. 

Adam smirked as the blue light closed in around the three teenagers, who had forgotten about Charlie and were now worrying about the mystical light that lifted them off the ground. 

Charlie grabbed the register microphone and turned to Finn. “Quick Finnie, do you have any Mind Bender comics?” Finn snapped out of his daze and found a torn up copy of The Mind Bender behind the counter. “Read this Adam.” She said and turned on the microphone. 

The three teenage boys screamed as the speakers turned on.

“It is I, the Mind Bender.” Adam started, in a booming voice. “Master of levitation. Lord of all worlds.” Adam smirked. “God, this edition was awful.” He whispered to Charlie before turning back on the microphone. “I order you three to stop bullying the one named Palmer, or you shall face devastating consequences.” Adam snapped his fingers for effect and the blue light gave the boys one last shake before dropping them on the ground. “Do you promise to stop terrorizing Charlie Palmer?” 

“We promise.” Benny shouted and Finn bit back a laugh. 

“Very well-” Adam started but Charlie whispered into his ear. Adam smiled. “To leave, you must admit how you are all a bunch of stupid jerks.” The three kids stared at each other. Adam twirled his hand. 

Benny screamed as his lit matches danced around him. “Okay, okay!” Benny elbowed the other two. “We are a bunch of stupid jerks.” They said in unison. 

“You may leave, but never return. Or else.” Adam said. Comic books began to be thrown into the air, pelting themselves at the running teenagers. 

Charlie watched as they turned the corner, calling the all clear. 

“So that was the officially the weirdest thing that I have ever seen.” Finn proclaimed after they surveyed the damage. Besides the broken window and a couple of scattered comic books, Cosmic Comics seemed to be in good condition. Finn spun towards Adam, who was helping Charlie step around the broken glass. “When were you going to tell me you had superpowers?” He asked. 

“Right…” Adam gave a shaky laugh. “I guess I have superpowers?” 

Finn whacked him on the head with a comic book before looking at the mess around them. “This is going to take ages to clean up.” 

“We’ll help, Finnie, don’t worry.” Charlie smiled. Adam twirled his hands and comic books began to float back onto the shelves. 

Finn yelped and glared at Adam. “Warn me next time you do that.” Adam laughed, but put his gloves back on.

After cleaning up the store and getting over the shock of finding out one of their friends had superpowers, Finn and Charlie drilled Adam with questions. 

“Do you have a limit to your levitation range?” 

“I’m not sure.”

“How many things can you lift at once?”

“Again, I don’t know.”

“Wait, does this mean you levitate yourself in mid-air?”

Adam paused. “Actually that’s a good question.” 

Charlie picked up a Mind Bender comic book. “So...does this make you the Mind Bender?” Finn looked up from his organizing. 

Staring at his wool gloves, Adam frowned. “No, I don’t think it does.” He gave a small smile. “I think I’d just like to be Adam. Regular, ol’ Adam.”

“Regular ol’ Adam is not going to sell in the comic book world.” Finn said but he and Charlie couldn’t help but smile at the name. 

July 03, 2020 04:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.