0 comments

Funny

Gazing out my office window, I decided it was too nice of a day to sit eating lunch in my office. Plus, I needed a break from my desk phone and email. Grabbing my leftover coffee and my packed lunch, I head down the steps and leave my office building. I walk into the courtyard that sits next to some sidewalk vendors. They too are out enjoying the lovely weather in hopes of drawing in customers.

 I decided it really was a nice courtyard with several benches, memorial plaques, tables, chairs, and umbrellas all surrounded by beautiful flowering trees, manicured bushes, and flowers. I silently chastise myself for not enjoying this scenery more often. I tend to get engrossed with my work and realized my step count and neck and shoulder pain were tell-tale signs of this.

Maybe I’ll go for a stroll too, I could use the leg stretching. But first, hunger prevails

Opening my lunch, I remove my chicken salad wrap, yogurt, and carrots. I dig in as I realize I’m hungrier than I thought as my stomach starts to growl in anticipation. I eat,  enjoying the nice breeze and sunshine. 

If I had a hammock…an after lunch nap wouldn’t be all that bad in lieu of a walk.

Sighing, I finish my yogurt and swig the last of my leftover coffee. I need to get some water to chase the coffee down. Thinking I’ll go to a vendor I decide to buy a bottle of water rather than head back inside to my office…besides, I see my favorite quiet crush working today at the bookstore cafe.  I grab my trash and phone just as I hear an electronic ping. This could either mean another email or something else. Sighing, I look down at my phone and realize it isn’t an email, but a notification from a dating app stating that someone is interested in me.  

Ah dating apps.  They are a humorous new way to get yourself back out in the dating scene.  Mostly comic relief for me. 

I open up the notification and scroll to the interested party.  Sandy blonde wavy hair, chocolate brown eyes with a hint of mischief that you could get lost in.  Ball cap in one pic, riding a bike in another, holding a puppy (perks) in another, enjoys working out, quiet nights in and home projects.  Mathew is worth the like. He states that he also works and lives in town.  Another perk.  Feeling brave, I decided to send him a message…”I am impressed with your profile.  You have nice eyes”. I type out.  Pretty standard response.  

Oh please be real and not a robot…

 Not expecting a response back, I settle back in my chair and enjoy the sun.  

Ooh this sun is making me so very drowsy…ugh my eyes are heavy…

I hear another ping, and looking down at my phone,  I open the app.  There are bubbles as I can see he’s typing a response.  

“Gee thanks!” He replies.  “I’m kind of new to the dating app scene and thought I’d give it a whirl.  I see that you too are in my town.  What sort of fitness activities/extracurricular activities do you enjoy?  I see from your profile that you run and also bike.  Plus you like dogs.  You seem great in my book!  And btw, you have great eyes too!”

Leaning back in my chair I debate a response.  He seems perfect.  Definitely has a handsome face.  

“Thank you!”  I replied.  

“That is very kind of you. I do enjoy running but not long distances anymore.  I just do it for stress relief.  Power walking and hiking with great scenery and biking are also things I enjoy.  Love lifting weights too. So how long have you had your dog?  I’m a sucker for dog lovers.  So, since you live in town, maybe we could meet somewhere casual and public and see where things go?” 

I’m amazed at my bravery, but I was feeling bold with Mr. handsome face dog lover.

After a few more message exchanges, we decided to meet up Saturday for a fitness hike and a casual lunch in an open outdoor restaurant.  

Saturday comes and I look forward to meeting Mathew aka handsome face dog lover.  We soon hit it off.  It was really easy to talk to him and I very much enjoyed our time together.  Our Saturday afternoon came to an end, but we agreed to go back out Saturday night.  This time to a nicer restaurant and a movie.

We met again, and truly enjoyed the movie.  We laughed, talked and went to get coffee.  Just as I’m walking to my car, he gives me a hug then grabs my hand and says he has truly had a great time and hopes to continue seeing me.  I tell him I’d like that.  He reaches for my face and pulls me close…in for a kiss.  I can feel his face and his lips on mine.  He kisses me and I lean in for more.  His kisses are becoming wet.  Rather wet.  Like… dripping on my hand.  

*****************************************************************

What in the world?  Is that slobber on my hand?  Eww.  

It’s at this moment I startle myself and shake my head, realizing that I had fallen asleep in my chair in the sun in the courtyard and drooled on my hand that was propped up against my face.

I quickly look around to see if anyone saw me and feeling like a fool, I try to compose myself.  

It was such a nice dream too!  Oh well.  

Mr. Matthew aka dog lover in the dating app seems to have vanished from responding back to me.  Just as well.  I never have luck with these things anyway.

Thirsty.  That’s what I remembered before I drifted off to sleep.  I need water.

Oh yes….I was going to go grab a water bottle from the bookstore cafe and my quiet crush.

I walk up to the cafe, and again notice that my quiet crush is busy working the lunch crowd.  He may not notice me.  But I’ve noticed him for a while.  He always seems so nice to everyone and so helpful.  I overheard him saying one day to a customer that it’s his 2nd job while going to pre-med.  So he’s also a hard worker.  

It’s no surprise that I’ve got a quiet crush on him.  Sandy blonde wavy hair, chocolate brown eyes you could get lost in.  Sometimes wears a  ball cap.  Appears to work out. Maybe I’ll actually talk to him this time…

I wonder if he likes dogs?

May 05, 2023 03:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.