0 comments

Holiday Fantasy Fiction

Demenor, a young witch who was not aware that he was a witch. His mother, Damiya never wanted him to know that he had powers.

Damiya, when she was younger her own mother pushed her to embrace her powers. As a child Damiya was extremely excited to have powers. Damiya could clean her room with the snap of her finger, she could get candy just by thinking about it, her powers seemed limitless. What child would not love having powers?

What Damiya was not told, and the very thing she was trying to keep her son from, was the war between the good witches versus the evil witches.

When Damiya was fifteen she was introduced to this world when a group of evil witches came into their house and murdered her parents who were very active in their opposition.

Damiya, had tried to fight them to save her parents. But Damiya could not hold her own against the much more experienced witches, and was nearly killed herself.

Damiya when she had Demenor, saw an white aura when he was born. Not wanting to relive her past and having her whole family die in front of her eyes again, so she found a spell to squelch his powers.

As the use of powers were how the evil witches tracked the good witches. And so long as Demenor did not know about his powers by the time he turned 18, he wouldn’t longer have any powers.

Demenor was now 13 years old, Damiya just had to get him through 5 more years without discovering his powers. If he had discovered that he had powers then he would be only too excited to use them, just as Damiya had been.

Demenor was getting dressed up for Halloween, he decided to be a count. He dressed in all black, and had a matching cape. Demenor would have loved to go trick or treating but his friends decided that they would rather go through a haunted house then have a Halloween party.

Davina was skeptical as Demenor had been scared of everything his whole life, but Demenor insisted. Damiya remembered what it was like to be a child and how it felt to want to hang out with her friends. So she gave him permission to go, but told him if he got too scared that he would.

Damiya drove Demenor and his friend who lived a few doors down, Brian to the haunted house where the group of boys would be starting their Halloween night.

Damiya told Demenor “Of you want to leave at any time I will come and get you”

“Ok mom, I will be fine" Demenor replied annoyed.

After Brian had left the car to join Demenor, Demenor slammed the car door. Damiya watched and waited until she saw the boys join their friends, then she drove home.

Once Damiya got home, before she pulled into the driveway she saw an old friend someone she never thought she would see again Melarky.

Melarky was a skinny, very pale woman, with long blonde hair and she was wearing a very black witchy dress. Melarky, was from Damiya's congregation. Melarky never gave up the craft, and she would die before she gave upon the witch war.

Damiya pulled into her driveway, then walked quickly up to Melarky who was on her porch in front of her door.

“What are you doing here Melarky? I gave this life up, and my family knows nothing about it. I would have a hard time explaining you" Damiya said.

Melarky smiled real big, she was happy, but it came off as a little creepy since Melarky had very rarely; very nearly never smiled.

“Ok” Damiya said backing up from Melarky a little bit, then continued “What is going on?”

“Tonight is the night, we will finally have victory” Melarky responded.

“What do you mean?” Damiya asked.

“According to the witches lore on all hallows eve of the worst year the good witches will be victorious in their war with the evil witches. We have to assume that is 2020 But we need the whole congregation" Melarky said.

“No, I will not fight. I will not help with killing people" Damiya responded.

“No, there will be no fighting. Once the evil of the world comes to a head we ask Mother Divine to I intervene and take away the evil magic from the evil witches” Melarky said.

“Mother Divine could not do this before?” Damiya asked.

“There has to be a balance, this year has shown a huge imbalance we can seek Divine intervention to correct course" Melarky responded.

“OK, I will do this, but if it does not work I cannot assist you in any other way" Damiya said.

“Thank you" Melarky said.

Damiya went into the house and told her husband that she had to go into work as it was Halloween and the store where she worked was more busy then they thought it would be. He believe her, she felt bad lying but she knew the only way to keep her family safe was to separate the two worlds.

Melarky offered to fly Damiya on her broom, but Damiya drove to work, so she knew her husband would find it suspicious if she had left her car in the driveway. Damiya had found her way to the sacred church of the witch, but because she took her car it took her much longer than Melarky.

Melarky seemed annoyed, but it did not matter they were on the clock. There was only this night to cast the spell to send the message to Mother Divine. Melarky got Damiya's dress, that was made in the realm of magic and had to be worn if a spell was being done of this magnitude.

Damiya changed into the dress, and took her place in the circle around the star, she was 5th point of the star, right beside top point or 1st point. Her parents held 1st and 2nd point on the first star when they were alive.

Once everyone was in position they started to read the spell out. “Fiddich Hora, Zidane I…” the congregation of witches chanted, but were interupted.

“What are you doing?” Demenor asked moving his mask to be heard clearly, until he spoke Damiya did not even know that he was there.

“Why are you here?” Damiya asked.

“Well I was scared but you did not answer your phone” Demenor said.

“Is this your child Damiya? I can smell the power on him” Melarky said. “If he is a witch he must partake, we need the whole congregation that includes offspring"

“No, never" Damiya said.

“We will be ridding the world of evil witches, he will never be put in harms way" Melarky said.

Damiya thought about it and decided that it would be the first and last time Demenor would ever use his powers. Damiya then told Demenor everything about his witch craft past, and told him he had powers, then explained what they were doing. Damiya asked Demenor if he would help as she did not want to force him to use his powers.

Demenor knew immediately that he would want to help rid the world of as much evil as possible.

A new star was chalked out just for Demenor, they cast the spell and Damiya could feel the immense power that Demenor brought to the spell.

Once they had finished reciting the spell a big green smoky aura swirled around them, then slowly lifted into the air, where it exploded then fell to the earth and spread globally.

The congregation would not know if they had successfully taken the powers away from the evil witches right away. So they all changed from their spell dresses into their regular street clothes.

Damiya was about to take Demenor home when an evil with Nicker appeared from the behind the door.

“What are you doing here?” Demenor asked scared.

“Do not worry Demenor, you took our evil magic away. But we wanted you to, we need the most powerful witch to complete our goal of world domination" Nicker answered.

Then Nicker grabbed Demenor before Damiya could react Nicker with Demenor disappeared into thin air, they just vanished. Clearly piggy back off of Demenor's magic.

Damiya went toward where they were, trying to grab at her son, but she just got the air. Damiya started to cry uncontrollably, Melarky came up behind Demenor and put her hand on her shoulder to comfort her.

Melarky said “We will get him back, I promise"    

October 30, 2020 15:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.