3 comments

General

WHOOOSH!! The wind blew closer and closer to the supermarket where I was at. I was hunkered down in the cash register area. Well, that is what I get for not looking at the news. I also should have noticed something was wrong when I didn’t see anyone at the supermarket. Even the cashiers left an hour early before their shift ends! The storm got closer and closer. 

It was the worst blizzard the world has ever seen. Everyone has evacuated to Boston. Only I was left behind. I finally had money for food, so I went to the grocery store. No one told me about the storm. They just left me. Well, nothing I can do about it now, but if I live, I am going to yell at my friends.

OH MY GOSH!!! THE STORM IS HERE!!! An unbelievable gust of wind had shattered the door. The storm was getting dangerously close to the cash register. I ran down the hall to the toy section. It provided the most protection. As I entered the toy section, I heard wailing. At first, I thought it was one of the toys, but the wailing kept going on, and on, and on, and on.

I felt a little creeped out, but I went and investigated. I walked up and down the isles, and suddenly, in the baby section, I found, well you probably know what I found, a baby! I looked around for the mom or dad, but I saw no one, and I did NOT want to go to the other isles in the storm. Oh yeah, the storm. How come the storm stopped. I took a step outside, and the baby started wailing. Suddenly, a huge gust of wind knocked me on my back. I crawled back to the toy section, and the baby stopped wailing. The wind stopped.

Huh. I picked up the baby. He was surprisingly cold. Whatever. He is in cold weather, so he is supposed to be cold. I rocked him back and forth, and he started laughing. It was the strangest laugh I have ever heard. It was kind of like, the jingling of bells. I decided to make him laugh even more. I threw him up in the air, and caught him when he came down. Who would have thought he didn’t like it, and he started bawling AGAIN! Then, the winds started picking up, and the storm came back. I was starting to develop a theory.

Maybe… Just maybe, the baby can control the blizzard. I decided to test my theory. I tickled him to make him laugh, and sure enough, the blizzard subsided. Then, I threw him in the air to make him cry, and the storm came back. I may have just discovered a miracle child! I hatched a plan. I decided to run back to my house, because I have a basement in there, and I can go in it to get away from the blizzard. I tickled the baby while I ran down the street, and the baby stopped the blizzard with its laughter. 

Yes! I am a few steps away from the door! Nothing can stop me now! I have never believed in jinxing, but in that moment, I finally believed. A BIRD POOPED ON THE BABY!!! The baby started bawling, and the storm came back in a fury. IT knocked me over, and I stayed down. The baby seemed unaffected by the storm, and he just kept bawling and bawling. I was on the floor, while the baby bawled and carried on. I closed my eyes, because I suddenly felt sleepy……

When I opened my eyes again, I saw a mother carrying the baby away. My first thought was: Am I in heaven? I noticed the wind still blowing, so I decided I wasn’t  in heaven. Suddenly, the mother used a hand to cast a light into the baby’s forehead, and the baby just stopped crying, just like that. The mother noticed I was awake, and spoke to me.

“Thank you for taking care of my child while I was awake. You will be rewarded. However, you will not remember anything that happened today. You will go home, and go to sleep in your bed. You will be blessed with good luck the rest of your life.” 

Strangely, I did as I was told. I went into my house, and I slept, and slept, and slept, and slept. 

2 months later

“Hey boss. What do I do with these papers?” one of my workers asked me. “Oh. Give them to Chloe.” I am now the boss of Google. I don’t know how, but two months ago, whenever I woke up, a person in a black suit knocked on my door. When I opened it, he said, “The owner of Google just passed away. You are now the owner of Google.” 

I thought it was a scam, so I asked him, “Why?” He said, “It is because the owner is…. Your long lost father.” W-WHAT??! My father left me whenever I was five, and my mother died whenever I was 7. That is why I had to go to the grocery store on the day of the blizzard. I was dying of hunger. I don’t really remember how I got out, but I did. That is how I became the owner of Google at 16. 

Now that I think of it, lots of good things happened to me after the blizzard. I was the 1 millionth customer to enter Target, so I got a new car. A tree fell down just milliseconds after I left the spot. I found a lady’s dog, and she gave me 100 bucks. I found my long lost grandma. I met my idol on the streets, and he gave me an autograph. Afterwards, he gave me a shoutout on his social media, and I became famous for the day. And sometimes, whenever I see a baby, I would want to throw it in the air. I wonder why?

July 30, 2020 19:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

DERRICK CHU
02:23 Aug 01, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tori Routsong
21:22 Aug 05, 2020

This is very cute! I like the callback to the baby tossing (I don't know if there's a better word for it) at the end. It might be a little easier to read if you varied the start of your sentences a little more, a lot of them start with "I" and it gets kind of repetitive. Very fun story! Keep up the good work!

Reply

DERRICK CHU
23:23 Aug 05, 2020

Thank you!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.