Rape Is Wrong, Right?

Submitted into Contest #233 in response to: Set your story in a bar that doesn’t serve alcohol.... view prompt

10 comments

American LGBTQ+ Gay

This story contains sensitive content

Trigger Warning - Multiple mentions of rape.


“Adam, somehow I knew you’d be here.”


“Really? This is supposed to be my secret spot. How did you find me?”


“You’re on Life 360, my friend. Your wife always knows where you are. She sent me.”


“Ah, that makes sense. Can I order you a drink?”


“Sure, I’ll have a Sam Adams.”


“I’m sorry buddy, it’s not that kind of bar. How about a ginger ale or coke with light ice?.”


“Who are you and what have you done with my friend Adam?”


“This is my thinking bar. Alcohol just clouds the mind. I come here when I need to contemplate, reflect, ponder.”


“No wonder Jenny told me I wouldn’t like this place. Fine, gimme a coke.”


“Is she still angry? She wouldn’t even look at me when I left.”


“What do you expect? I’m pretty sure she thought you would change your mind at the last minute. He is your son, after all.”


“He’s my son, Steve, and I love him, but some areas aren’t gray. I know it’s not a popular opinion these days but, to me, this is black and white. Right and wrong. If I was there it would have been like I was endorsing it and I just can’t give them my blessing.”


“You are a dinosaur, brother. You’re fighting a fight that’s already been decided. The Supreme Court said so. Public opinion says so. Heck even Hallmark Movies say so. In a lot of ways I really understand what you’re thinking, but times are changing. People are changing. Love is love.”


“So societal norms are flexible? What is right today may or may not be right five years from now?”


“That’s a pretty simplistic view of it, but yes. Society evolves and you either evolve with it or you become an other.”


“An other?”


“Yeah, you know what I’m talking about. The kind of person who can’t be on the PTA or get into politics.. You stop getting invited to dinner parties and people start calling you the B-word.”


“You mean bigot? Is that what you’re implying?”


“You know I am, buddy. So unless you want your only friends to be the other B’s you hang out with at church on Sunday, I suggest you get with the program.”


“Okay, if that’s what you think, can I ask you a question?”


“Sure, shoot.”


“Alright, but first let’s set some parameters.”


“Yep, whatcha got for me?”


“Well, let’s start with something I think we agree on. Do you agree that rape is an awful and morally repugnant crime?”


“Absolutely, but what does that have to do with anything?”


“Stick with me here. If we agree on that, then we should also be able to agree that rapists are flawed morally, spiritually, and maybe genetically. Are we still on the same page?”


“I’m right there with you, Adam.”


“With that in mind, what if, sometime in the future, self-identified rapists stood up for themselves, claiming they were born that way and shouldn’t be ostracized for something they can’t control.”


“But…”


“Wait, I’m still getting to the question.”


“Ok, go on.”


“In this scenario, imagine that at first society scoffs at the notion of rapists being even the slightest bit acceptable. There is almost universal opposition to this idea, but a few fringe doctors and psychiatrists publish papers contemplating theories that seem to give support to the idea that rapists might be a product of genetics, that they are born more sexually aggressive than most. They don’t necessarily endorse the idea of acceptance but they do give these people a small amount of legitimacy.”


“Well, that—”


“I’m not finished.”


“I’m afraid to say this, but continue.”


“Now because of this, some rapists and those who have contemplated rape emerge from the shadows. They are prosecuted and I’m some cases, are the victims of vigilante justice.


There is still nearly universal agreement that being a rapist is abnormal but pockets of sympathy start to emerge. Stories of otherwise good people who do selfless and noble things but who also have desires to rape start to change some minds. Small groups of people begin to support the rights of rapists, although most rapists still hide their desires and live in the shadows.


Then, in Hollywood, some of these closeted rapists who own and run movie and television studios start to create characters who are rapists, but in every other way are charming and extremely virtuous. They also start to portray people who find rape morally indefensible as bigots and small- minded.


Now because our children grow up using screens as a babysitter, there is a slow shift as those same children become adults. They begin to embrace this new ideology and societal ideas begin to change. A movement towards an acceptance of rapists as normal members of the community gains traction. This is accelerated as children who grow up in the new culture go into psychiatric fields. Before long the definition of rapist changes from abnormal behavior to normal.”


”You’re going to a dark place, my friend.”


”Maybe, but I’m not done. I’ve never been sure who decides these things, but before you know it R finds its way to the end of the increasing long list of initials. It’s inclusion making it even harder to be anti-rapist.


Eventually there are politicians who run for office on platforms of fairness and equality for all—including rapists. Some members of the government feel free enough to come out as rapists and eventually the first openly rapist politician is elected.


Finally, an altruistic rapist decides it is unconstitutional to discriminate based on genetic sexual aggressiveness and brings a case against anti-rape laws in the whole country.


Once enough judges and justices who are raised in a culture of inclusiveness towards rapists, the tide turns and the Supreme Court, in a landmark decision, codifies, into law, the Constitutional right of all Americans to engage in rapist behavior."


"But Adam..."


"Don't stop me now, I'm finally ready to ask my question, and it's this:


Even though majorities of Americans now support the right to rape.


Even though laws in all states now make rape legal.


Even though rapists are accepted and celebrated in our society.


Even though those who oppose the right to rape are now ostracized.


Even though the Supreme Court has made the right to rape the law of the land.


Can’t we all still agree that rape is wrong? Please tell me we can at least agree on that.”


“Uh, well… I’ll tell Jenny I found you and that you’ll be home soon. When will you be home?”


“I don’t know, an hour or so.”


“I’ll let her know. See you later, Adam.”


“Goodbye, Steve.”  

January 12, 2024 21:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Trudy Jas
01:22 Jan 15, 2024

What a wonderful, straight forward but wrong argument. :-) Please explain "consensual" to Adam. Thanks for reading my story

Reply

Mister X
22:00 Jan 15, 2024

Which argument is wrong? He's trying to point out rape is always wrong no matter what. That seems like a strong argument to me.

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:01 Jan 15, 2024

Touche.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
20:51 Jan 15, 2024

The academic discussion of rape. Nice intro with the Pondering Pub. Maybe it takes 2 parties to have _freedom_. Two parties to agree "do what you want if you're not hurting me." We haven't yet discussed self rape which is the obvious portion of Jefferson's preamble. Rape can't have consent... Which makes it an interesting argument (for the obvious oddities in this generation). Great article. Maybe have the wife come over to his dry bar , rape the narrator with a broomstick (NYPD style), the buddy has to watch to see if it hurts. A lit...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lizzy Bantop
15:25 Mar 07, 2024

I do hope Adam isn't trying to say that two people in love is the same as nonconsensual sexual violence? seems like a far stretch

Reply

Mister X
20:57 Mar 13, 2024

There was a point in time where both were considered unthinkable. I think what he's trying to say is just because society changes it's definitions of right and wrong doesn't mean actual right and wrong have changed. It's just food for thought.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
17:15 Jan 15, 2024

That is A LOT to think about. Scary scenario.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Salem Alexander
04:36 Jan 30, 2024

Equating being gay to being a rapist is such a terrible argument, it's disappointing to see Steve walk away thinking Adam is anything close to being right. Rape ruins lives, it's violent and it's non-consensual. Not to mention, there are already plenty of people pushing for a pro-rapist agenda and it isn't going anywhere. Being gay doesn't do any of that. Love is love, and rape is the furthest thing from love.

Reply

Mister X
20:19 Feb 01, 2024

One effective way to make a point is to take the argument to it's most extreme conclusion. The point of the story is there are absolute rights and wrongs. Their rightness or wrongness isn't dictated by society or laws, they are just right or wrong regardless of the peripheral arguments. The rape analogy is just to set the bar. You must agree that rape is wrong regardless of any external argument, don't you? If you do then that means there are other things that are just wrong regardless as well. Your level of distaste for my point actua...

Reply

Salem Alexander
02:09 Feb 02, 2024

I wouldn't say saying "rape ruins lives" and "rape is the opposite of love" as an extreme conclusion but to each their own. Making rape the bar is definitely an extreme that not everything should be judged at, wouldn't you agree?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.