1 comment

General

    To say Kirk Davis was having a rough morning was a total understatement. His had a fight with the wife about not moving fast enough to make anniversary plans. They had two months before the big day, but apparently he wasn’t moving fast enough for her liking. He also got chewed out by the ex-wife as well, double teamed for an ass-reaming that was going to linger all afternoon. As if his manhood wasn’t crushed enough, some meter maid gave him a three hundred dollar ticket for parking in front of Starbucks while he was inside getting something to calm his nerves before coming into work. Not even the magic of a Frappuccino was enough to make him feel better, as Davis just moped through his morning, hoping nothing else would go wrong that day. He wasn’t a religious man, but he was tempted to pray for a peaceful afternoon. Whomever was up there, however, wasn’t in the mood to let Davis off the hook. He was sitting at his desk, going over some overdue paperwork for the firm, when there was a loud knock at the door.


    “I’m busy!” Davis called back, “Go away!”


    There was another knocking on the door, this time louder.


    “I said leave me the hell alone!” Davis said, sinking even lower into his chair.


    The knocking didn’t stop.


    “What the hell do you want?” He called out.


    “I have a delivery for a Mr. Davis” The voice on the other end called back.


    “What delivery?” Davis said as he got up and walked over to the door. He had locked it to make sure no one came storming into his office. When he opened the door, the last person was standing on the other side with a big grin on his face.


    “Hey, shit bag.” The man said, “What does a man have to do to get five minutes with his own fucking agent?”


    “Matthew?” Davis said as he could hardly believe it. “When the hell did you get in town? How long have you been here?”


    “Calm down, Captain Kirk.” Matthew said as he stepped into the office.


    Davis closed the door behind him, but was still jaw dropped by who just arrived. Matthew Harvey Bane, but he was known to the world as Matt Brown, the controversial best selling author who hasn’t been seen spotted alive in years. Now all of a sudden he was at Kirk’s office making a surprise visit.


   “What are you doing here?” David asked, eager to get details.”


   “I’ve been in town for months,” Matty replied, “I’ve been crashing on Harrison’s couch, and at my brother’s place whenever Harrison’s missus got into a real mood.”


    Davis then noticed Matty was carrying two cups from Starbucks, and he also had knapsack on his back but Matty had dumped that onto the couch as he walked into the room to speak with his first and only agent. Matty was looking really good, as he was wearing a clean pair of jeans, sandals and a white shirt underneath a very stylish leather jacket that appeared to suit him. He was also wearing some John Lennon wannabe sunglasses. He picked up one of the drinks from his tray and offered it to Davis.


    “Vanilla bean Frappuccino, right?” Matty said, with the drink outstretched to him.


    “Yes,” Davis said as he took the drink from him. This was the first time Matty had every gotten anything for him. He watched as Matty took his own coffee and then tossed the tray in to the trash can and sat down on the couch beside his knapsack.


    “So what’s new, Captain Kirk?” Matty called up. “Give me the skinny cause we haven’t talked in ages.”


    “It’s the same old, same old.” Davis replied, as he walked back behind his desk and sat down. “The wife hates me, the ex hates me even more. I swear those two are talking and comparing notes.”


    “They appear to have far too much in common,” Matty observed, “You keep this up, you’re going to have a whole cult of ex-wives that hate you.”


    “Forgive me for asking,” David said, after taking a sip. “What the hell have you been doing for the last few months in the city? Just chilling with Harrison and getting high?”


    “Not this time,” Matty said, as he dug into his pocket and pulled something out. He flipped it like a coin at Davis, and the agent caught it. Davis took a long look at it and then looked back at Matty.


    “Is this what I think it is?” Davis asked.


    “It is,” Matty confirmed, “One year sober. No alcohol or drugs for twelve whole months. Fifty-two weeks. Three hundred and sixty-five days.”


    “Three sixty-six,” Davis corrected, “2020 is a leap year.”


    “Fair enough,” Matty said, “Three sixty-six.”


    “Shit, this is amazing!” Davis said, as this was the best new he thought he could get that day. “Congratulations! I’m very proud of you!”


    “As they say on television,” Matty said, “But wait, there’s more!”


    “There is?” Davis said, as he thought about it for a moment, “Are you writing?”


    “No, I’ve written.” Matty corrected.


    Matty dug into his knapsack and pulled out the very last thing Davis expected to see; a manuscript. Matty got off the couch and walked over to Davis’ desk and dropped the book, which looked to be at least several hundred pages, onto the desk with a deep, and very beautiful sounding thud.


    “How do you like them apples?” Matty said, quoting one of his favorite movies.


    Davis sat there at his desk with a look of absolute shock on his face. Matty hadn’t submitted anything, let alone a manuscript, in over five years. Davis hadn’t seen a word in over half a decade, and suddenly there was a Tom Clancy sized piece of work sitting on his desk, waiting to be read. Davis was so excited he almost jizzed himself.


    “I’ve never felt so excited in a very long time,” Davis answered, “It feels like Christmas morning, and Santa just delivered the goods!”


    “Merry fucking Christmas,” Matty said, enjoying the metaphor even though it was in the middle of June. He playfully raised his coffee and then took a quick sip. It was at this moment the door swung open as Davis had forgotten to re-lock the door. The man who walked in was Jeremy Rollins, senior partner at the agency. He looked determined and with his chest puffing out, and before Davis could say anything, the partner started to talk to Matty.


    “You’ve got some nerve coming here in,” Jeremy started, “Crawling out from whatever rock you’ve been hiding under. This isn’t how the real world works, buddy. We work hard to make sure the people we represent are successful, and achieve the highest standard of excellence possible. That task is infinitely more difficult when our clients are non-responsive, and disappear for years on end. This kind of behavior is grossly unacceptable. As time passes, our agreement becomes less about the past and more about what you can offer the future. I want you to give me one good reason why we shouldn’t drop your lazy ass from our client list?”


    “Just one?” Matty said, “I think I can do that. Kirk, is there one reason why you guys should keep me?”


    “I think there might be one,” Davis answered. When Jeremy turned to face Davis, the agent was holding up the very large sized manuscript, putting it on display and showing it off as if he was Vanna White. The senior agent looked at the massive stack of paper, and was just as shocked.


    “Is that what I think it is?” Jeremy asked.


    “That it is,” Matty confirmed, “All eight hundred and seventy five pages.”


    “Back on the saddle?” Jeremy said, now smiling.


    “Back on the wagon,” Matty corrected.


    Jeremy turned back to Davis again, “Is that true too?”


    Davis held up the sobriety coin as he hadn’t given it back yet. “One year and counting.”


    “I only asked for one reason,” Jeremy said, as he turned back to Matty and extended his hand. “But that one is my favorite of the two. Congrats.”


    “Thanks,” Matty said, shaking his hand. “I can tell you rehearsed that monologue, it was very well delivered.”


    “Thank you,” the partner replied, “Didn’t come off as too over the top?”


    “It was just right,” Matty said, not even offended at all. “I would have been genuinely scared if I hadn’t already written a bestseller.”


     “Fair enough,” Jeremy said, “I’ll leave you to it, then. Welcome back!”


    “Thanks for stopping by!” Davis called out as the senior partner wasn’t even listening. He just walked out without saying anything to him.


    “I’m not gonna hear the end of that,” Davis said, as he could tell that his boss was a little embarrassed by the moment. He wanted to make an example of Matty so the other clients would stay in line and be less rebellious, but it totally backfired. Matty couldn’t help but laugh at the moment.


    “It’s going to be alright, my Captain.” Matty said, “We need to get out and celebrate. Call that angry wife of yours and tell her dinner at Costantini’s is on me.”


    “Constantini’s?” Davis repeated, “You sure you can get a reservation for a restaurant that classy?”


    “I already have one,” Matty replied, “Table for six. Harrison and his missus will be meeting us there too. Call your missus and don’t take no for an answer.”


    “Alright, I’ll do it.” Davis said, softly touching the manuscript as if it were his precious. “Gives me time to read a few chapters and see what you’ve been up to.”


    “Alright,” Matty said, taking the hint. “I see you two need a moment alone. Meet everyone at Constantini’s at seven. I don’t care how much you love that book, don’t you dare be late! We clear?”


    “Crystal,” Davis said, this time quoting his favorite movie.


    “Splendid,” Matty said, grabbing his knapsack. “I’ll leave you to it then.”

    Davis watched in awe as Matty made a half-assed salute before waling out the door and disappearing down the hall.


    “Matty Bane,” Davis said to himself, “Back on the wagon and the saddle. Un-fucking-believable.”


    Davis started to read the first page, and was transported to another world, so much that he failed to realize that he didn’t even say anything to the man as he left. That was a terrible thing to do to someone who was not only his biggest client, but was also a close friend. Life was never going to let him live that down, as Davis would never see or speak to Matty again. That unplanned meeting was the last time the two would ever talk. It was unpredictable and quick, as most of their interactions had always been. That would be no excuse as Davis would think he never did enough for his friend who had shown up with so much and gotten so little from their interaction. What first started as one of the best things that happened to him in a while would morph into something filled with regrets and what ifs. He’d replay that talk often as the years pass, the last moment he was in the presence of greatness and a great friend, and he didn’t even say goodbye.

June 20, 2020 03:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Deborah Trahan
22:47 Jun 24, 2020

There’s a lot going on here! Love your writing voice. A few typos made it necessary to go back and re-read, but that can easily be fixed with a Grammarly subscription.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.